"Visible"comes into Focus

I think the 5 mbps speed restriction applies only to mobile hotspot but not to USB tethering. I'm consistently getting around 15 mbps when directly tethered to my wife's desktop. Can others confirm they're experiencing the same speeds with direct USB tethering?

Doesn't matter how you tether it has the same restrictions. But speeds are not always 5Mbps and varies with device used and other random reasons. On some devices I get 10Mbps.

The current version of the Visible app that can be downloaded from the iTunes store now requires IOS 13. You can still download an older version of the Visible app on IOS 12, but that version is useless, because after you open it, it says that an update to the app is required. That means that you can't do initial activation using an iPhone 6/6+ (which can only take IOS 12) or any later model iPhone that's still running IOS 12.

However, you can do initial activation on an iPhone running IOS 13 or above and then swap the SIM. E.g. I activated my latest line on an iPhone 8 running the latest IOS and then swapped the SIM into a 1st gen SE running 12.1.2.

Just FYI, FWIW:
A close friend of mine heard of the Moto deal from me - got it - and from the 1st minute it never worked fully.

He wasted loads of time contacting them over & over - got only so far as their (supposedly ??) higher level support saying he got a defective SIM & sending him a new SIM.

After replacement the phone still would not work fully.
He was totally disgusted with his new phone & ported his number back to TF using what he had before.

My impression is that it was most likely a defective phone which they really did not wish to replace on their dime.

I claim no other ideas as to the how & why of this except that it saddened me to hear.

Our Visible stuff worked out OK & we only went back to Twigby after a while so as to pay ~$24/month for BOTH our lines rather than $25 for each line.

I just chatted with Visible about transferring service from a physical SIM to eSIM. They told me there was no impediment and that it could be done very quickly. Does anyone here have experience with this? Does the board have any general thoughts on Visible eSIM?

Background: My plan is to transfer a currently inactive/suspended line that has been credited 6 self-referrals to my new 2nd gen iPhone SE on its eSIM. Visible service would be $5/month for those 6 months. The physical SIM would be the Tello 100 min/500gb plan, $4.50/month for 6 months under their current promotion. The 100 minutes would be reserved for outgoing calls to friends/relatives and the data is useful for backup if I find myself in a bad Verizon reception area and/or I'm severely throttled when I need data. I can program the Tello line to forward all calls to the Visible eSIM line, so I don't use up any of the 100 min Tello allotment for incoming calls. The Visible eSIM will also be the primary line for data as well as outgoing calls to non-familiar entities. Text would be mostly Tello, since that's unlimited.

I also maintain flexibility to swap the Tello SIM into other phones with this arrangement.

Didn't think it was possible. It didn't used to be but things change. I've been happy when a customer support guy swapped an esim from one device to the another for me so if they say it can be done then yes go for it if you want. Should work well if it goes smoothly. Been using visible esim on my se 2020.

Does forwarding not use up minutes?

Now eligible to redeem a Visible gift card promotion offer.
It is not totally clear to me if this is a MC gift card that can be spent anywhere or if it is only for spending at Visible?

It is normal MC virtual gift card. Most of sites should accept it. It always work with Paypal. It has expiration date for 6 month.

I just did a swap where I sent in an iPhone 4s with cracked screen and back glass AND iCloud activation locked. It did power on and the IMEI matched what I told them when I placed the order. Visible sent me a swap confirmation email.

Care to share the deal(s) you're buying from Visible these days? You always seem to find/jump on good deals and I'll have a (working) 4s to trade when VZW finally turns off 3g voice/text.
Even though still no MC gift card which makes those GC offers less attractive I can work with Amazon GC if I have to.

I should have posted it but Visible recently had a deal for the 3rd gen iPhone SE, with $100 off MSRP and $200 GC after paying for 3 months of service. However, that deal is now gone - there is still a $200 GC attached to that phone but the base price is back to full MSRP. I went in on that deal for my spouse, whose Cricket credits just ran out and is paid up only thru the 14th, I was able to stack $25 cashback by paying with my BOA Visa. I also did Rakuten this time, but it's unclear whether $30 CB will register with them.

Thanks, yes I did see that deal and thought it was pretty decent.

Were you able to use a referral to get the first mo. service for $5? So 3 mo. service = $55?

Really wish they'd bring back the MC GC. Do you just get whatever GC you'll best be able to use straight up or do you resell GC or have some other way to "add value" to dealing with GC?

I don't have a modem iPhone around so replacing the 4s with an SE 5g is attractive to me just to have a toe in apple world since everything else is android.

Yes I used a referral code - a self referral from my account used to buy a used iPhone X when they had the $150 GC and speaker deal. I’ll do self referrals to get 2 more swap phones for months 2 and 3 on the SE, so service cost will only be $15 on that line. Paying that isn’t actually an added incremental cost because that is my wife’s main line for which I would have to pay for one way or another.

Ahh, nice, working it to the max.
Way more "Visible train" going on than I want to deal with.
What the heck you doing with all the moto g pures?? Sell em I guess? Pick up "junk" phones to swap in?
Have a bunch of old 3g VZW compatible flip phones from a reserve kept for a family elder who regularly managed to break them. Too bad swapping them in has become a dicey proposition at Visible.
Last swap I did with Visible was denied for no reason, swap phone met all their requirements. Thankfully I used Privacy card so charge was denied. I appealed the swap rejection and they did approve it eventually so the account closed in good standing.

I see Visible has the iPhone SE 2022 on sale for $329 + $200 GC offer after 3 mo. service.

For me that would be about $210 (with tax & 3 mo. service).

I'm guessing bingyee would do much lower.

Still no Mastercard GC.

Accidentally deleted rather than edited. Anyway, I did this deal 3 weeks ago due to impending end of service on my wife's Cricket plan. It will essentially be a phone upgrade plus 3 months of service for about $150 and trade in of two iCloud locked and damaged phones.

There's also a deal on the SE2. Full upfront payment is now only $184 and there is a $100 GC after 3 months of service.

The other big change in their pricing is that the swaps are now back to the ZTE A3 and A7. Visible is probably prioritizing the elimination of inventory on those old models.

So for the SE 2022 you managed to stack 3 offers? Sale price, GC after 3 mo. service & a trade-in offer??

Months 2 and 3 of service normally cost $25 per month with party pay. However, you can make that $5 if someone uses your referral code to do a swap. I will be self-referring on a new account next week to order an A7 swap. I won't actually open the A7; it will get listed on eBay. The line will be activated on an iPhone 6s and used as a car media device to entertain kids in the car while we go up to New England. I'll have to self-refer on another new account late Aug./early Sep to get another swap phone which might not be as useful for service but whatever. The additional lines cost $5 each for service and a trade-in of an old and/or broken phone. Port in will be required but I have throwaway lines on Xfinity that have already qualified for BYOD GCs.

Total cost: $329 + $15 for 3 months of service on the SE3 (which my wife needed anyway) + $10 for a month of service each on two swaps + 2 non-useful phones --> iPhone SE3 + $200GC + two brand new swap phones to be sold on eBay

I also went thru Rakuten for $30 cashback but am not counting on that at this time.

Thanks for explaining it all in detail bingyee (ELI5?).
I might be able to do one of those self referral/trade ins to help reduce cost. I just need to time it all so I need / can use the service so that the service fees are not all a waste.

Safe travels.

Has anyone used a Moto G6 with Visible? Motorola says it can do volte but it is not on Visible's approved list.