"Visible"comes into Focus

If I remember correctly, the Moto G6 used to be listed as compatible by Visible. It seems that Visible changes their compatible list on a regular basis. However, if you want to try using Visible anyway, you can do it for as little as $5 for the first 30 days, with a referral code. You would sign up telling the online system that you have an iPhone, which does NOT ask for an IMEI.

1 Like

I should have been clearer, I am using Visible now. I got the Moto G Pure when it was offered for free with trading in a Verizon phone. I do not like it and still have my unlocked any carrier Moto G6 that Visible says is not compatible, I am tempted to just swap the sim card but I don't want to risk losing my phone number if Visible kills my account for doing so.

Don't worry about putting a Visible SIM into the Moto G6. If it doesn't work, you won't lose anything. Visible isn't like what I hear about Tracfone - line gets suspended until you put the SIM back into the original phone and contact the carrier to reactivate. If the Moto G6 doesn't work, just put the SIM back into the original phone or a different one that's compatible, and you'll be fine.

My hunch is that the G6 will only work on data but not calls/text. You will have to manually edit the Verizon APN from 'vzwentp' to 'vsblinternet'. This is my hunch based on experience with the Moto G5 Plus.

1 Like

My moto G play is supposedly incompatible but works without any need to add apns. Motos are usually pretty good on visible. I've never had a moto that didn't work well.

I put Visible sim card in Moto G6, and get this error when trying to make a call "cellular network not available for voice calls". Oh well it was worth a try, it looks like I won't be with Visible for long anyhow with them cancelling party pay. Thanks for all the help

Party Pay isn't cancelled, and there's been no official announcement that it will be for existing legacy plan subscribers. The WAS a post on Reddit where a user reported that a chat CSR said Party Pay was ending on 1/1/23, but that info is nowhere to be found on the Visible website, at least not as of now.

I already chatted with Visible and was told party pay will end, the agent did not say when nor did I ask.

It has been officially confirmed the plan and party pay are not being discontinued on 1 Jan 23.

They sure do make it clear as mud, one line reads "Members who remain on the Visible Unlimited plan will be able to keep their current plan and Party Pay discounts (locked in at their Party size level as of 10/18) for as long as we support the plan."
2 other lines read "you will continue to get your Party Pay discount as long as you remain on our Visible Unlimited plan." & "you will continue to get your Party Pay discount while on our Visible Unlimited plan."

Has anyone had issues lately with self-referrals, i.e. use a referral code from one of your existing accounts to make an order on a new account?

A few days ago, the referral code on my wife's account didn't work when I tried to set up an account with a Visible Midnight swap on the $30 plan. However, the code was being accepted when I changed to the $45 Visible + plan. What's more, a random code I found on reddit was accepted for either plan. I didn't place an order at that time.

I waited a couple of days, and this morning I tried again. This time, there was no problem whatsoever with using my wife's referral code.

There was a glitch earlier this week with referrals. Appears to be fixed now.

The new Visible plans have some noticeable differences when used on iPhones running older versions of IOS.

• I had trouble completing initial activation on an iPhone SE (1st gen) running IOS 13.6.1. I then switched the SIM to my work issued phone, an iPhone 8 running the latest IOS. I noticed that the update carrier settings pop up came up, whereas it had not on the iPhone SE. After the SIM was fully activated, I was able to get the SIM to work on other phones.

• Previously, the oldest IOS version that I could use Visible was 11.4.1. Now, I can get it to fully work on my iPhone 6s running IOS 11.2.6.

• I also got data to work on an iPhone 6 running IOS 10.3.3. However, voice did not work (no bars, only LTE showing).

The new Visible SIMs work fully on the Verizon version of the Galaxy S7 and the unlocked Moto G6.
The old SIMs would only work on data, not voice/text.

If anyone has a Moto X4 or G5 Plus, a Galaxy S6, or LG G5 please test and post results.

EDIT 12/20 - I have a ZTE Blade A3 Prime that I got via swap within a month or two after that model came out. I hadn't used it in a while and when I popped in my latest SIM, it didn't work. However, after I updated the system software, it worked fine. I think only the system software has the APN VZWINTERNET associated with it.

I just realized that the new Visible SIMs can be used to provide mobile web access to laptops. I had to use a nano to micro SIM adapter but it works on my Dell Latitude E7470.

Anyone getting a message from Visible stating upgrade to new network is required? I don't want to upgrade to the new network because my backup phone is not useable on it.

What model phone is your backup? I'd be surprised if your backup works on the old Visible network but not their current one.

In fact, I'm aware of several ostensibly incompatible phones that actually work fully on Visible's current network. For example, if you run the Visible's IMEI checker on my Galaxy S7 Verizon (SM-G930V), it will say that it's not compatible. But I know it works because I have one and have used it recently on Visible. Also, I distinctly recall that with Visible's old network, my S7 could only get data, but on the new network, the phone works fully.

This is also true of the Galaxy S5 (Verizon) - it also works on calls/text/data, although with the data it won't let me do hotspot or USB tethering.

1 Like

Moto G power 2021. Visible's IMEI checker says it won't work. It does work on the old network fine.

I have a hunch that the G Power 2021 will work on the new network even though the Visible checker says it won't. Run the Verizon's IMEI checker to see if the phone will work on the mothership network. If Verizon says it's compatible, it should work on Visible upgraded network.

If you have an old incompatible phone and a spare number lying around, you could also do a self-referring swap order. You can activate service on the swap phone, which will be on the upgraded network, and then use the SIM from the swap phone to see if it will work on the G Power 2021. Make sure you change the APN to VZWINTERNET.
This pays for itself because you get $20 off on both ends with the referral.

1 Like

To answer your original question, I have one inactive line based on Visible's old network. I did not get an email asking me to upgrade.

Segueway...

This line last had active service on Sep 12, 2022. Since then, the SIM has been inactive but I haven't lost the number - Visible hasn't fully deactivated it. On the evening of Sep. 12, I swapped out the SIM and put it into an iPhone 7, originally sold by Verizon, with a bad IMEI. I had done that on another line in the summer and was re-testing how fast does Visible recognize that the phone I'm using has a bad IMEI. The answer to that was....pretty fast. It only worked for about 3 minutes.

However, it seems that when you put a Visible SIM into a phone with a bad IMEI, the account goes into a state that doesn't start the countdown clock on the service being deactivated 60 days after non-payment/lack of service. Notably, if you log in to your account, it will give you this message:

Uh Oh

There was a problem with your account. Please contact us and we’ll do our best to find a resolution.

Navigating further, it doesn't give you an option to pay to continue your service. However. you are still able to get a port-out PIN and execute a port out.

Indeed, with the line on which I had "suspended" by putting the SIM into the bad IMEI iPhone 7 earlier in August, I was able to port that other line out to Xfinity in January for one my $200 GCs.

So, if you have a phone that is compatible with Visible but has a bad IMEI, that seems to be a way to indefinitely hold a number until you need it to port out to another carrier to take advantage of a promotion.

I'll do that this weekend, I suspect it will pass and I will probably update afterwards. Thanks for the info.

1 Like