A Pleasant Distraction from Our RingPlus Service Loss

It now seems that our RingPlus Service Loss was indeed far more ominous than it appeared at the time.

For those who went to T-Mobile, it looks like they literally have ended up in vipers' nest.

For anyone who picked a different carrier, it probably does not matter anyway since the big crash is coming "later this year or next."

If he is right, and the historic probabilities are supportive of his perspective, then even mastering Mandarin, which he touts, will not provide safety.

On the bright side, perhaps we can now worry a little less about the global warming crisis whose true impact is still decades away.

Great photo. The picture clearly captures what is known as the "Medusa" effect, which occurs when snakes seek higher altitudes when they get too hot. This "Medusa" behavior helps explain not only the behavior in the photo but also why snakes sometimes board airplanes as well as why they congregated on the highest place, atop the head, on Medusa's body. Because this behavior is a result of the snakes being too hot or overheated, this could be an early sign of global warming, a sign that should be taken seriously. There is a remote possibility, since our knowledge of snake behavior is not all encompassing, that this photo just captures a "Burning Man" type of event that hordes of snakes engage in every so often.

As to Mr. Rogers, it is a well known fact that men who wear bow ties are much more pessimistic that the general population, and it has been documented that their predictive abilities haven't been as strong as they claim. It was funny when the witty interviewer said that there would be no tv ratings after people had been obliterated.:slight_smile:

Getting ready for the wild blue yonder. My guess is one will fly from the nest 7 days from now.

Over the last few days, it has looked as if they were just waiting for a signal to take off and almost seemed bored at the waiting.

They have come a very long way since March and really look almost ready to move on.

ETA:

According to the NYT:

In the Bristol Bay region of Alaska, an estimated 40 million sockeye salmon are returning from the Pacific Ocean to the freshwater lakes where they hatched. There, they will find mates, spawn and die. But before that, they transform. The “bluebacks” become “reds.” And if you happen to be in the area, you can witness one of the most miraculous costume changes of the animal kingdom.

The "combat fishing" season is here!

Signal: Yes, it's amazing how they "know" when they're ready for their maiden voyage. I'm sure there are some failures in the knowing when, but the "signal' is usually right on time.

Still a mystery how many animals use their "mental maps" to navigate the world.

And some Eagles are willing to adopt other birds. Red-tailed Hawk Chick survives in Eagle Nest - YouTube

Oops! DC Eagle Cam 6-12-17: Glory Accidentally Fledges, But Official Fledge Still To Come - YouTube Glory climbed up the left V branch with ease and went all the way up to the Y. S/he briefly sat down, then proceeded a bit farther up the right arm of the Y branch. At approximately 8:25pm, Glory misstepped and accidentally fledged. Not sure if s/he fell or meant to jump down into the nest and missed. Honor had Glory in her sites and followed his/her fall. Glory has been spotted by the team of cam operators. It appears s/he is still in the nest tree but we're not sure how far down from the nest. A parent was seen flying in the direction that Glory landed immediately after the fall. Glory was observed preening while perched below the nest and appears to be fine.

Wow, missed that.

Do not have my normal Internet access now and can barely manage email. Anything with video just will not load.

You probably won't miss much, for there is not much to see on the video, and Glory will probably remain out of sight on the lower branch and be fed there until(?) he/she is able to fly back to the nest, which might be a while. Hope you internet gets back to normal.

Just a moment ago, Glory flew back into the nest for the first time since landing in a lower part of the tree after slipping. This would qualify as a true fledge, I believe.He/she was evidently motivated by a fresh fish just delivered to the nest. I luckily just happened to see the event.
This description is from MOD "freebird_AEF": Oh happy dance! Shake shake shake, shake shake shake - shake your tail feathers.... What a GLORY-ious sight to behold... sweet Glory is back and we are in for another emotional roller coaster, oh but what an exciting one it will be. While Honor stepped away and let Glory enjoy some of the fresh fish, Honor perched in the V looking content and not phased at all. At around 12:15 Glory passed the fish to Honor and they swapped places, Glory is now in the V. Glory looks remarkably well and I bet will now be more at ease coming and going to the nest now that he/she had a taste of what it's like to dabble in new territory for a few days. At 12:30 Glory leaps down from the V and then does some big jumps up onto one of the V limbs....hold your horses, Glory! Let's take this one talon at a time this go around! Oh but wait, there's more! Glory has JUST made it up to the sleeping branch above the nest for the very first time! I think we can clearly see that Glory shall and always remain the daredevil in this family! Glory jumps back down from the branch and claims the fish that Honor was eating once again. Honor cowers a bit and then jumps to the side branch. It's currently 81 degrees and cloudy with highs near 84. Scattered showers and thunderstorms are possible this afternoon.:cheer:

I have been watching this family for 4 months and all the real excitement happens while my Internet access is temporarily limited.

Hokule"a is about to come in and reporters are saying it was being towed "for timing reasons."

It makes one wonder if in fact it was not being towed by an underwater cable attached to a submarine on its voyage around the world. That would bring up the question of which nation the sub belonged to.:frowning:

Well, on the Eagle cam website, it was stated that "it maybe difficult to watch", so let's hope that your IP provider is not doing some uncalled for protective editing and causing you to miss some of the seminal moments in this Eagle family's life.

"Timing reasons": as they say in show biz, the show must go on as scheduled. Or maybe they are just trying to avoid getting run over by a behemoth cargo container ship. But it is amazing the amount of courage and determination that these ancient seafarers must have possessed in order to sail into the unknown.

My guess it would be a "French" sub. Maybe the ancient ones were sometimes helped along by whales, the incipient submarines.

Olbooks1---thought you might be interested in this article. It says his death occurred on May 23, but I guess today is still special for him.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/17/us/ben-finney-dead-hawaii-tahiti.html?_r=0

Thanks for posting this,. I had heard about the 1976 voyage but was unaware of it's real significance. It is a truly remarkable and inspiring story

A group of friends has also been following yesterday's return and I have forwarded the article to them as many of them are regular visitors to Hawaii and all are keenly interested in these kinds of stories.

Yeah--I grew up in LA near the beach and there has always been an unspoken connection between Hawaii or Oceania culture and the beach culture of LA, especially the "surfing" culture.The KonTiki people have unfortunately gotten most of the media attention over the years. In case you haven't seen this:Mau Piailug - Wikipedia

On the problem of navigation in Europe, Dava Sobel has a fascinating description of the work of 18th century clockmaker John Harrison who solved the problem of "longitude

."dava sobel longitude - Bing

What ironic timing with your mention of the "Longitude" book, for my son gave me this book as a gift many years ago on Father's day.

In addition to telling the unlikely and amazing story of John Harrison, peasant genius, it has a nice side story to tell of English elitism and royal snobbery.

After forty years of enduring the slings and arrows of outrageous royal scientists and politicians, he did receive his rightful monetary reward for solving the problem of longitude from George III, although Mr. Harrison had become an old and exhausted man by then.

A very successful fledge by Glory today. AEF DC Eagle Cam: 19 JUNE 2017 - Glory's Fledge from Nest Tree and Return - YouTube

The Eagles have not yet turned on and eaten the Hawk---bird brains at work.

It is certainly a far cry from the Westminster Kennel Club but a winner has been announced in the World's Ugliest Dog contest.

http://www.sonoma-marinfair.org/worlds_ugliest_dog_2017/

One has to wonder whether the owners deserve some type of prize also or perhaps some type of help.

Further up the coast it looks like it has been a slow day for the those out fishing.

Director of Ugliest Dog Contest wrote: “We celebrate the spirit and imperfections that make these dogs lovable and adoptable,” explains Karen Spencer, Marketing Director. Sounds like something my wife might think or say about certain beings.

Appears that either the Bears, the Salmon, or both took Sunday off. A day of rest.