A Pleasant Distraction from Our RingPlus Service Loss

Thanks for the update.

As the website says it can sometimes be "difficult to watch."

Certainly, it seemed as if the family was not going to be able to resolve the problem on its own in any good way.

Let's hope all is indeed well with the leg. Rather a remarkable job by the team that pulled off this tricky mission.

The Eaglecam is live again.

The WP has a piece about the rescue (paywall may be a problem but it should be accessible in Incognito).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2017/04/21/a-baby-bald-eagle-hurt-itself-so-climbers-scaled-an-80-foot-tree-to-help/?hpid=hp_local-news_eagle-12pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_

ETA: Pretty interesting video of the eaglet being returned to the nest now on the website.

Thanks--just watched the video. 80' high is getting up there, not to mention at nighttime. I was going to say all is now well in D.C., but at least all is well so far for the D.C. Eagles.

16:00 Just noticed that both eaglets are now in the nest.:slight_smile:

Oldbooks1 wrote: The bigger news is, of course, the arrival of the Unicorn yesterday.

To add to this pleasantly distracting news, a Unicorn that looks like a person who had a face lift has emerged in Iceland and an ancient tree may have been discovered on Mars. This, after all is said and done, may be the best of all possible worlds.

It looks as if the Eaglet's pin ( flight ) feathers are emerging.

For anyone looking for the perfect original gift for Father's Day or any other special occasion, Nordstrom may be the place to shop.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/prps-barracuda-straight-leg-jeans/4457245?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=INDIGO&cm_mmc=Linkshare--partner--10-_-1&siteId=TnL5HPStwNw-qF9twFWPsDTOjTvtvI0yKA

On Fox News Tuesday, "Fox & Friends" co-hosts Brian Kilmeade and Ainsley Earhardt criticized the jeans, with Kilmeade saying "if you're going to wear muddy jeans, you should earn the mud."

WKBW Buffalo:
Posted by:
Clint Davis
8:29 AM, Apr 25, 2017
4 hours ago

Question: Will the mud come out if these jeans are washed? If so, then they are not worth $425.

Perhaps it is not the case that what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

According to WAPO:

Turns out that cellphones are allowed in the grand courtroom of the Supreme Court — so long as the holder is a justice.

[b]The unmistakable sound of a cellphone ringing interrupted Tuesday morning’s argument in Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. v. Superior Court of California, followed by a scramble on the part of Justice Stephen G. Breyer. The embarrassed-looking justice moved quickly to stop the sound, while some of his colleagues smiled and looked at the ceiling.

Electronic devices are strictly forbidden in the courtroom, even for the lawyers who are arguing cases. Visitors must leave cellphones in lockers and go through metal detectors before entering.

Some questions about today’s incident remain unanswered. Breyer’s ringtone was not the usual sounding one, but reporters couldn’t make out exactly what it was. And it is unclear whether a justice’s black robe has pockets.[/b]

Perhaps it may be time to consider sanctions and maybe the public has a right to know what else is being concealed under these innocent-looking black robes.

As a minimum, it would seem to call into question the meaning of equal j(J?)ustice under the law.

Funny happening. Who knew? Maybe we should go for a constitutional amendment giving the right to "all' persons to bear cellphones with the proviso they must be set to airplane mode in hallowed places such as court rooms, operating rooms, movie theaters and so on.

I heard from an anonymous source that the ringtone was the beginning notes of Richie Haven's song "Freedom". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rynxqdNMry4

Memorial Day and Eagles go together don't they.

I have been keeping an eye on the "eaglets" although they seem to be almost past that stage now.

If I am not mistaken Honor (the one that was trapped a month ago) was seen branching a few days ago.

The parents do not seem to spend much time in the nest anymore except to bring food.

In other eagle news, the Dutch are apparently training them to bring down drones.

In another bizarre fact from the animal world, a scientist has discovered that snakes can hunt in packs.

Yeah-- the rain dance video is from about ten days ago and they have both fledged a bit and learned to self feed a bit since then. "Eaglet" does seem to be a misnomer at this point, for they are not far from graduating from Eagle college and setting out on their own. This year, with the microphone working, I have been surprised by how vocal they are. And I have not seen any drones on the nest this year.

Oh my, Eagles and drones. Hope the terrorists don't get any bad ideas from this practice, such as training Eagles to take out bigger military drones, or using them for other purposes to satisfy their sociopathic desires. Amazon better keep an eye out, too.

Snake hunting parties is bad news for people who live in areas where large Boas have been known to occasionally eat humans. Living in the Mojave Desert, I'm surrounded by various Rattlesnakes, but fortunately, as far as I know, they don't eat humans, yet.

It looks as if the eaglets will soon be able to move on to the next stage of development.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the country, some youngsters seem to be enjoying the summer weather as the great annual feast of salmon returning will get under way soon. Obviously, this is not good news for all salmon just as the maturing of the eaglets is not great news for certain other species. WIN/WIN solutions seem to be hard to find in these cases.

Nice video of the Bear family in Salmon Heaven. Funny, I just showed this video to my wife, which reminded her of a can of sock-eyed salmon in the cupboard that had yet to be used, which she proceeded to place on top of her breakfast salad. She's a bit weird at times. I guess the fish of the world must rest satisfied with the notion that there is strength in numbers, and hope that their numbers don't keep going down. We all must eat, but maybe not so much.

In the category of an unpleasant distraction from mowing one's lawn, a homeowner in Three Hills, Alberta, was repeatedly bothered by members of his family who were excited something they saw in the background.

I had seen the still photo, but not the video. I also read the comments on this interesting fellow on one website, where people thought he was nuts, stupid, calm in the face of adversity, and so on and so forth. My speculation is that he was an efficiency expert or the like and thought the power of the hurricane would lift up the grass clippings from his lawn mowing and take them and deposit them who knows where free of charge. Did you notice that there is no grass clippings collection bag on that lawn mower? But then again, maybe he was just a fool, and his wife was getting the whole episode on video so that when he was killed and/or disappeared in the tornado, she would encounter no problem collecting on his life insurance policy. In any case, I'm certain his side of the story will soon be told.

“My beast mowing the lawn with a breeze in his hair.”

"Cecilia gave her husband a to-do list and went to take a nap."

Evidently, lawn mowing was on the to do list. The "my beast" statement and the "to do list" statement taken together have me somewhat perplexed. Further thinking about this is required.

From a recommendation on Theunis' Linkedin:

Theunis Wessels became known to me as an enthusiastic Agronomist/Livestock Nutritionist from South Africa. His determination and goal setting abilities are very strong to achieve deliverables to tasks presented to him.

It seems as if he is very reliable and his wife had every reason to believe the "Honey Do List" would be completed so taking nap was perfectly reasonable.

Since Theunis is the livestock field he is probably quite skilled at "keeping an eye on things."

After all tornadoes normally only move at around 30 MPH and there are few reported fatalities from mowing lawns during a passing tornado. Probably is was a fairly safe bet.:slight_smile:

Good to know. For some reason the notion of "beast of burden" had popped into my mind concerning the artistic photo of Mr. Wessels. But as they say, all's well that ends well.