A Pleasant Distraction from Our RingPlus Service Loss

Looks as if the adopted Red Tailed Hawk might make it to adulthood. HAWK FLIES TO ME AMAZING! - YouTube

Admittedly an "eagle" of a different type, nevertheless the Facebook drone, Aquila, appears to be moving forward.

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/news/business/facebook-drone-quietly-completes-test-flight-arizona-article-1.3295875?utm_content=buffera2d6b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Of course, for many of us, this other development in the world of drones may be of far greater practical interest.

It would be wonderful to have access to the latter while watching the great event tomorrow.

The Facebook "Aquila" drone seems to have passed the "will it fly" test, at least at low altitudes. Hopefully they know what they are doing with the laser stuff. Now they just need to figure out how to get cell phones and internet capable devices to those Amazon rain forest dwelling tribes, a few of which we shall see on facebook in the not too distant future. It used to be that Facebook was out to save the world, but maybe now the world needs to be saved from Facebook. Wonder how Google's low orbit mini-satellite internet project is coming along, where their little satellites would be in orbit just above the Facebook drones. So much internet on the way. Eagles and other high flying birds may become confused. Google to deploy 180 low-orbit satellites that provide Internet access | Ars Technica

Oscar Mayer apparently is trying to stay relevant and modernize. I would suggest that they create an ad with their "rover" delivering hot dogs to the first wave of migrants living on Mars. But their drone may be in trouble here on earth with the numerous, carnivorous, birds of prey roaming our skies. Last year at the DC Eagle nest, there were a few times the Eagle parents brought some fish in plastic bags back to the nest, which they evidently stole from an inattentive fisherperson, or maybe a fish market. An unthinking drone with Hot dogs aboard would be easy prey for them. Watching someone eating 70 hot dogs is a feast that is not at all movable to me.

It's all about family, or maybe food.

Joey Chestnut won again and set a new 72 dogs record. But there were some radicals at the event who were giving away free veggie hotdogs. I'd like to see Mr. Chestnut eat 72 of those without regurgitating. http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/celebrities/article159573759.html

Miki Sudo won the Womens' contest for the fourth time. Seems like these two have a lock on this "sport."

These veggie dog enthusiasts do not seem to recognize the importance of national traditions in shaping character.

I was distressed to learn today that Apple Pie is not in fact American at all.

***All I can say is, even if the Apple pie did not originate in American, American's baked it to a new unheard of level not seen on the global horizon before or after. America made apple pie the greatest. "Pie is the food of the heroic. No pie-eating people can ever be permanently vanquished." The article on the origin of apple pie may have also erred by stating it origin date as 1300 or so, for it's hard to imagine that Adam&Eve did not share an apple pie in the Garden of Eden, wherever that was located. Next thing you know, someone will try to tell me that Johnny Appleseed was from Kazakhstan.

"American's baked it to a new unheard of level not seen on the global horizon before or after. America made apple pie the greatest."

There is support for this view.

"Though we’ve made the case here that apple pie isn’t so American after all, one could argue that just because something originated somewhere else doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t become a source of national pride elsewhere. America took the apple pie to heights it had never seen before -- elevated it as a treasured part of its lore and history. And though it wouldn’t be fair to call apple pie “American” without acknowledging its past, the baked good seems to be just at home here as anywhere else in the world."

As to the family lineage of Johnny Appleseed, all I can say is that historical records from that period have been the subject of controversy. Indeed, it is well known that people coming here from all around the world had their names changed, consciously or through administrative error, to something that sounded less "foreign"

"Ferguson," the main character in Paul Auster's "4 3 2 1" is a timely reminder of this.

John Chapman tracing his roots to Джон Чэпман does not seem entirely implausible.

After all, the polar bear actually comes from Ireland.

So Johnny Appleseed, aka John Chapman, and perhaps a latter day "Borat", was actually a bare footed, poorly dressed, full blooded capitalist, who traversed a few states while throwing apple seeds on vacant land in order to lay claim to that land in order to sell it for profit to American immigrants so that they could produce apples for cider alcohol to satisfy the American craving for this valuable libation. And, since apples originated in Kazakhstan, he may have hailed from there and changed his name after arriving in the US. Well, that's the American dream.

Henceforth, given the current "apple pie" findings, we should probably make a distinction between "origins" and "places of production". The American hot dog, for instance, originated, from what I gather, near Frankfurt in Germany, but has been perfected or ruined, depending on one's taste, in America. As an aside, I must say that I spent a few years in Germany and there is no way that an American hot dog can be compared to the superior bratwurst sold by street venders throughout Germany. But I must also say that German made strudel and American apple pie are running neck and neck in my book, and Chinese apple pie is not bad either.

Irish Polar Bears: It makes sense that polar bears, as they are currently called, would migrate to the the pole during the horrible potato famine, but, given the current "not ice cold" famine in their present day environment, it may not be long before they return to Ireland with eyes smiling. The main conclusion that one can draw from the history of apple pie, hot dogs, polar bears, and many other interesting global happenings is that all is in flux, and what the future holds is hard to predict.

"Glory" is still learning. I suspect Eagles also have their tales of "the one that got, or almost got, away."

Update 5:35 pm--appears as if one "did" get away from someone. "TFL arrived with a large catfish and Honor claimed it immediately and dragged across the nest. It was noticed immediately by volunteers and cam ops that a piece of fishing line was attached. The entire feeding was monitored and a hook was not seen. The line is still laying loosely in the nest at the V limb, and goes over the V limb and hangs down over the side with a piece of what appears to be fishing pole attached. The DC Team is continuing to monitor the situation. Both fledglings are fine with one in the Primary Perching Tree and the other on the overhead branch."

There's an old saying that "the Eaglet does not fall far from the tree".

There is a piece in the Alaska Daily News today about the operation of the web cams at Katmai.

The Abyssinian Ground Hornbill gets a new lease on life thanks to 3D printing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/national-zoos-karl-the-hornbill-gets-a-high-tech-prosthetic-beak-to-help-him-eat/2017/09/02/98682b36-9033-11e7-8df5-c2e5cf46c1e2_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-moreheds_hornbill-930pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.5e4fcff3e38c

It is almost certainly only a matter of time before the lawyers start raising the question of "informed consent" for such procedures.

"informed consent"-- and let's hope they did not draw blood from the Hornbill while it was unconscious during the procedure. Even a few police officials know that would be illegal.

It is amazing that we can use our technology in ways unthinkable in the past to alter the natural world. Of course, we humans, though not yet facing imminent extinction, have been putting prosthetic eating devices in our oral cavities from quite some time now, even some made with 3D printers, I believe. I've read that even the ancient Mayans used mother of pearl for dental implants long before titanium was created.

The live Bear cams, and all cams(motion)capturing wildlife, natural phenomena, etc., have been great educational tools for both researchers and the general public, and have provided entertainment value as well. They have allowed us to, inexpensively, go to and observe animals and places that would normally be inaccessible as well as dangerous to us. These cams in so many ways offer us a superior experience to Zoos, where, although we can see animals in person, the animals seem depressed and bored, which is an obvious result of imprisonment. A wildlife adventure from the safety of our homes. Just need to be aware of the danger of hemorrhoids. :pinch:

Is it over-dramatic to still be sad about the loss of RP 7 months ago?

I don't know what a bitter divorce feels like, but the loss of my R+ service was far worse than that.

:lol:

I would certainly think so although perhaps not everyone agrees.:cheer:

Just never got around to changing the title of the thread but will do so soon.:frowning:

ETA:

Oops, just realized why I did not--do not know how:(

"I don't know what a bitter divorce feels like, but the loss of my R+ service was far worse than that."

I will have to think this through carefully: one does not know how to measure x but knows that y is bigger,--interesting.

Eh, not like a bunch of water works but I do miss the simpler days and bigger data allotments then. It definitely was nice while it lasted.

I don't think you can change the title ones replies have started within a thread... maybe a suggestion for @hungryghost? Still wish tagging people notified them...

If hungryghost permits, just replace "Ring+" with "Cellnuvo" in the title. Better still, just add Cellnuvo to Ring+.