Will you keep using Ting after 1st month with $35 credit is almost gone?

No, reluctantly and after waiting it was given to me over the phone.
I am wondering, in an Ting account in good standing, when you go to Settings, Port out info , are the blue links in the table active, i.e. can you click and reveal the PIN ?

I don't see much about the saga on first 2 pages of the social forum, can you point me where it transpired?
I happily moved/referred the lines to Ting upon the iceberg hitting the ship and have not been following boards over the last month.

"can you click and reveal the PIN ?"

Yes.

As long as Ting provided you the port out information there is really no issue.

Ting is certainly not required to provide it in the most convenient way for the user but most definitely cannot withhold it for any reason.

Suspending an account and reversing credits is certainly the company's prerogative.

Violating enforceable requirements is not something Ting or any other MVNO should be allowed to do with impunity.

It just so happens that this is National Consumer Protection Week. While the FTC lists 100 agencies involved in this activity unless consumers insist on their rights being respected nothing will change.

If you started the porting process from RingPlus to Ting before today, you're fine to let that complete — we'll take care of making sure your RingPlus TopUp credit is honored.

In
Migrating from RingPlus to Ting

As you say, if they retroactively change the rules and remove the referral credits, I can understand that, they are plugging a hole they left, but the fact that they want double serving, i.e. not giving the $35 and effectively attempting to charge for everything is mildly said, heavy handed.

I thought there were several red flags in the thread on Social.

The Ting reps did an excellent job under very difficult circumstances however it was clear they were not able to answer some very direct questions I asked and that concerned me. It also became quickly obvious that they were not being provided the information needed to handle the task properly by the company management.

If a company does not properly empower it employees and support them when they are under strain, that is a rather telling commentary on the corporate culture. It is always good to observe how a system performs under stress as that tells you everything you need to know about the management team. The manner is which RingPlus members were left without any actionable information from Ting management as the migration got underway was quite very revealing.

That being said, I do think if you sign up with Ting through the normal process you will indeed get the type of service you would expect based on the material published on the website.

You need to realize that Ting taking over RingPlus lines was a last minute thing arranged between the two companies literally in mere hours and working under a Sprint imposed deadline that was only days away.

And for many Ting was a lifeline that without their lines would have gone into limbo. For others, their line did go into limbo and Ting rescued their numbers.

LOL, seems we have the same apologists for Ting as we did for Ring Plus!

Still can't reasonably explain why they make former R+ customers wait 3 months to accrue referrals when any other customer can post a referral as soon as they open an account.

To heck with Ting, they did not save me from anything and their service costs are not even in the ball park any longer.

No, unfortunately, I haven't.

That was strange.

IIRC, 4+ years ago, I was issued a referral code immediately.

My East Coast family members account is subject to the 3 month waiting period.

Thanks.

I had the opportunity to interact with Ting support on a billing issue where it seemed likely an error had been made.

In order to clarify the matter I asked a specific but simple question.

The following day I received an answer that suggested the rep either did not understand the question or was declining to answer.

I replied by pointing out that my question had not be answered and asked to have the matter escalated to a particular unit that would be able to respond.

The second response was essentially unsatisfactory and would, in well-managed company, not have been sent.

If customer service is Ting's strength, it certainly was not in evidence here.

By coincidence I also received a response from customer service yesterday from a company that I have been dealing with for a long time--the contrast between it and the responses from Ting could not be starker.

In a number of areas I am flexible in dealing with companies, when it comes to clear, accurate, and verifiable, answers to billing questions I am not at all flexible.

Nope.
Its just another poor excuse for a company.
We have 2 accounts there & they had applied all the various bonuses/credits properly - then yanked $100 of credits away.
Bad form - VERY bad form - a great way to cause portings to initiate ASAP.

1 account there bills on 4/7 & has not enough credit left to cover the 2nd month even at minimum usage - makes Twigby look incredibly good.

Closing thoughts:
Ting has very nice controls, etc. - but has exposed their rotten side & made it clear that they are just as uncaring towards their userbase as rp was - and with Cellnuvo & Twigby as alternate options this is a TOTAL no-brainer...

Use up whatever measly credit remaining after their dishonesty reduced it & get out BEFORE paying so much as a cent to them.

The wife also had an old Ting account that was still "active", but with no active devices and her account also received a referral credit. She used her own CC and a different address for her account and never ever had ties to Ring Plus, Ting took away her credit as well.

Ting hides behind a facade of customers service, Unicorns and puppies, but they are just as shady as any other low brow/cut rate cell service provider, except they are not so cut rate! The only positive is that they have been exposed, to whatever degree, for their over priced service and who they really are.

As far as the that fantastic Ting credit, it was good for very little:

Mobile service (Feb 08, 2017 - Mar 07, 2017)
Minutes 345 minutes used $9.00
Messages 156 messages used $5.00
Megabytes 494 megabytes used $10.00
Device 1 $6.00

Mobile service $30.00
Taxes and regulatory fees $3.01
Total $33.01

For the same usage Twigby is ~$19.

Even if you took away the $6 line fee Ting is still ~$27

That said, even with Twigby I left 155 minutes, quite a few text and ~250MB on the table. (this example is flawed because I used up 250 MB the last day before renewal knowing I was leaving and unlimited text compared to a bucket)

I have never been fan of leaving units on the table. That same 155/x-text/250MB using Tracfone BYOP would roll over as long as you keep service days.

That usage on Tello paygo would have been
$10.35
$01.56
$05.00
~$17
But with paygo you reach a threshold where purchasing buckets becomes more cost effective.

After seeing how they ripped off our credits from our account at their site, I re-opened the ticket wherein one of their agents assured me the credits would work out as expected, here is what transpired:

They replied:

My next reply:

Unsurprisingly - they marked the ticket as 'solved' and closed it.

Time to port out & close this account BEFORE any more charges or arbitrary account changes are made without notice or user consent.

I just ported my only remaining R+ line which was Ting now to mintsim due to my usage requirements. The port of the number and activation was done in 5-10 minutes, probably 5. Ting was good at that! So was mintsim, clearly it was automated. So, now we have mintsim, tello, FP, t-mobile (iPad data). Not very expensive either. Next year, will probably convert to tello to FP. Ting (Sprint) is faster than mintsim (tmobile) at my house at least, but, plenty fast for me.

I like Ting. I don't love their prices though. I also don't like how my previous referral credit balance just went POOF a few days ago. Apparently, they flagged some referrals credits I earned in 2014 (the last time I used my referral codes) as violating some referral program rules (e.g. we're not allowed to post codes on coupon sites?). Although I don't necessarily dispute their claim that I'd posted my code of a coupon site (I honestly can't remember, since that was back in 2014), the disappearing credit – more than two years after the fact – was certainly a surprise. I'd assumed my existing credit balance, along with the $35 RingPlus port-in credit, would cover my 3 ported-in lines. It didn't. And my credit card was charged.

What a bummer. Oh well. I'm not bitter though. I still think Ting is a decent company with good customer service and some nice perks. But they're not for me, or anyone else looking for lots of data. If you're a heavy data user, you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

Yikes, over-reaction to RingPlus users?

Maybe. My "violation" seems a bit of stretch, but on the other hand, I can understand Ting not wanting referral codes to compete with their normal coupon codes. Referral codes end up costing Ting more, essentially double what normal promo codes cost them. So, I get it. But, this recent purging of referral credits does seem a bit haphazard.

So they cheat you out of your previous credits yet you still say what a wonderful company they are, really?

If those credits had been sitting there that long then it was only because you were a former R+ customer that they took them away. Did they also take away your referral code and replace it with a message on how you have to wait 3 months before they will give you a referral code?

So the excuse they gave you kind of blows the excuse they gave to us that my wife's credits were removed because the account was dormant, they said this when the referral credit was credited on 2-8 and the account dormant less than a year with absolutely no relationship with R+. Yet you say yours were there for a much longer period of time.
So in reality, they took her legitimate credits away because they probably came from a former R+ customer.

What Ting has done is to cut out the middle man (their current customer/account holder) and saved themselves $15 ($40 first time) and then blow smoke up our butt with any old excuse they feel like using. They actually just plain up and stole your credits.

Now that is what I call really great customer service, please give me some more!

#ScrewTing!

It's difficult sometimes (oftentimes?), but I make an effort to not let negativity consume me. I don't want to turn to anger as my immediate reaction to everything that doesn't go my way. Otherwise, I'd be bitter and constantly upset at the world. Indeed, it's becoming harder and harder, but I still try to focus on enjoying daily life, not resenting it.

Just checked my accounts and this is what Ting have done retroactively

1. Reversed a referral credit of $50

2. Removed the $35 welcome R+ credit on another account

3. At the time that I got the referral credit, which was before the R+ automated migration began (and I think before it was announced), I followed the rules that were in place. Now the rules say you need to be active for 3 months to earn referral credits.

4. At the time I agreed to open the other account with Ting which was as part of the R+ mass migration, I agreed based on receiving the advertised $35 welcome credit.

I did not receive any notification of these reversals.

These seem like two cases of bait and switch. I have taken appropriate action.

Chargeback?