What's your backup plan in case CellNUVO goes bust?

Thanks. Good to have back ups

I don't have a backup plan. CN has been holding my phone number hostage. I have been trying to port out since 8/25. I have already put in an FCC complaint. No response yet from CN.

You're not alone. More than a few others have taken that path. It'll be interesting to see how it gets resolved.

I had high hopes for CellNUVO, but bailed after a week of no service and difficulties in attempting to reset the handset for the temporary numbers they were handing out. Went to H2O wireless on pay as you go at a nickel a minute or text message on AT&T and an existing sim on Piranha Mobile that will roam on most GSM carriers in the US or elsewhere (on a BV8000 Pro dual sim handset). Data is the occasional public/private wifi, unlimited AT&T LTE postpaid on their cheap Mobley plan (had to put the chip in a mifi device because the Mobley car wifi devices have shoddy build quality), Karma/Sprint LTE mifi service on a grandfathered plan with over 40 gb non-expiring on it, and a SkyRoam international 3g mifi device (they've since come out with a 4g device but not worth the money for my occasional usage). Plus Skype on the dual sim handset and an InMarSat Pro handset on prepaid for non-cellular areas or emergency usage. OK, that's a lot of gadgets, but I have some unusual comm needs including data service in limited cellular coverage areas, need for voice coverage in non-cellular coverage areas, and international coverage,

I really hope the ad-supported model eventually works out for CN, but given their lack of communication, their reportedly ignoring FCC complaints, slow restoration of service, marginal customer service, reduction in ad point pays, etc....yeah I agree with the thread topic that anyone still with them really should have a backup plan at this point.

How do you know they are ignoring fcc complaints? How do you know the fcc contacted cellnuvo?

Most of agree this is taking way too long and even if cellnuvo continues as a company. This will haunt them for a long time.

I was using the app when everything just stopped.

I am so glad I listened to people on this forum and ported from ting to gv and not cellnuvo.

So risk is minimal for me.. We all feel your frustration though

They're working on fixing all the issues. I'm sure it'll get sorted out in the end, but customers' patience is wearing thin. Also, being ad supported, it can't be easy maintaining advertisers when the number of customers diminishes.

A real cell phone service

Always nice to have one of those on standby. :wink:

I have Tello as backup. It is affordable, reliable and flexible.
However now I feel RP itself also a good choice.

Both good points about FCC complaints. I don't know exactly the process when the situation involves an MVNO possibly re-marketing from another MVNO-- just as CellNuvo is doing now with Red Pocket, and was apparently doing before with some other entity. Since the 'partner MVNO' actually holds the numbers, and is ultimately the one doing transfers, I don't know whether the FCC would ultimately redirect complaints to that company instead of CellNuvo. In the only report I've seen from a CN member filing an FCC complaint & reporting back, I think the complaint was redirected to Sprint.

Either way, I think it's reasonable to think the users suffering from problems serious enough to file an FCC complaint would personally consider CN as the responsible party, since CN is the only point of contact available to the user.

Although I doubt that cellnuvo will get in any real trouble with fcc. It was the mnvo who just closed with no warning. They knew better.

The people who people lost or had there number gone for months are suffering. The guy who had his small business number here. Could show losses.

From this point foward any one who continues to use cellnuvo. Should have there main numbers at a place like googke voice

[quote="KentE"]

Correct. MVNO (e.g. Red Pocket) and sub-MVNO (e.g. CN/RedPocket/Sprint or MintSim/Ultra/T-Mobile) agreements generally require the reseller to handle all customer service communications with the end user, and in some cases even require the reseller not to name the actual cellular carrier by name (but with advertising phrases, colors, compatible handset instructions and coverage maps it's usually really obvious who it is)...although with CN I think they could use the Sprint name without issues.

If a customer gets referred by the FCC to another entity, they will likely just be told it's CN's problem...who can be rather unresponsive. I see from the BBB CN now has an F rating for unanswered complaints...I'm curious how many are in the FCC complaint database since that's likely based on a much larger sample size, but can't figure how to filter that and I gave up on trying to download it because of it's size.

Bottom line is it's about two months after things fell apart at CN, and they still haven't fully put things back together again. Glad I bailed after a week of no service and no easy way to restore it. Unlikely to return but I do like the advertising for free service model if they or someone else can get it to work reliably.

You made a good call. It would be very hard to argue otherwise!

lexusl21 wrote: "From this point foward any one who continues to use cellnuvo. Should have there main numbers at a place like googke voice

I would agree about Google voice: given all their confusing and not so well integrated voice and messaging apps( GV, Hangouts, Hangouts dialer, Allo, Duo, Messenger, etc.), it is rather "googke" at times.

My galaxy s3 jumps when I type on it. Sometimes I get many typos

Yes--I thought it was a good typo. I get lots of typos even with nothing jumping around on me, except for the connection between my fingers and brain. :slight_smile:

Don't take this the wrong way (ie I'm not attacking you, you don't need to explain why you changed your mind), but you might want to learn that you did in fact participate shortly after you made the above statement:

https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/cellnuvo/794-what-s-your-backup-plan-in-case-cellnuvo-goes-bust?start=20#13753

At it again?

At what again? Come on man. Really? It was an honest observation. Geez.

So a tally of responses.

Already moved or using backup:

Tello - 1
H2O - 1
FreedomPop - 1
Xfinity - 1 (2 lines moved)

Stated they would move to:

FreedomPop 1
RedPocket 1
Tello 2

Other Responses:

None - not needed - 1