Updated Freeup Plan

https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2019/10/freeup-mobile-makes-changes-to-its.html

Free plan - comes with either 250 minutes or text messages (no changes)
$15 per month plan - comes with unlimited talk, text, and 500MB of hard-capped data (no changes)
$20 per month plan - comes with unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of high-speed data before throttling to unlimited 2G data (previously hard-capped data)
$30 per month plan - comes with unlimited talk, text, and 6GB of high-speed data before throttling to unlimited 2G data (previously hard-capped data)
$45 per month plan - comes with unlimited talk, text, and 15GB of high-speed data (previously 12GB of high-speed data)

[quote="PEW"]
https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2019/10/freeup-mobile-makes-changes-to-its.html

Free plan - comes with either 250 minutes or text messages (no changes)
$15 per month plan - comes with unlimited talk, text, and 500MB of hard-capped data (no changes)
$20 per month plan - comes with unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of high-speed data before throttling to unlimited 2G data (previously hard-capped data)
$30 per month plan - comes with unlimited talk, text, and 6GB of high-speed data before throttling to unlimited 2G data (previously hard-capped data)
$45 per month plan - comes with unlimited talk, text, and 15GB of high-speed data (previously 12GB of high-speed data)[/quote

The article mentions the paid plans "come with global calling", but doesn't mention they don't come with unlimited t&t for the US, Canada, etc. and that one must use paygo at 2 cents a minute to call domestically. Hopefully, those of us who have the grandfathered paid plans for US calling will be able to keep them indefinitely, and it would be great if the new unlimited 2G data feature is applicable to the grandfathered plans as well.

Isamorph, I'm confused-- and admit that perusing the website doesn't do a lot to clear up my confusion.

Canada is listed as Unlimited (calling) in the list at Premium Cell Phone Plans with 4G LTE Nationwide Service | FreeUp Mobile
-- while also showing as .02 if selecting the Pay As You Go page. (??)

U.S. calling isn't listed on the Global Calling page (naturally), and shows as .02 on the Pay As You Go page. (??)

Other than those confusing appearances, do you have experience or information that indicates PayGO is required to call domestically or Canada? (Or quite possibly I'm just not understanding your post....)

Probably just a website goof.

Interestingly, "Local" is listed as a country with unlimited calling.

ETA:
Countries listed with Unlimited calling:

Algeria
American Samoa
Andorra
Angola
Argentina
Armenia
Aruba
Australia
Belgium
Bermuda
Bhutan
Brazil
Brunei
Bulgaria
Cambodia
Canada
Cayman Islands
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Dominican Republic
Egypt
Estonia
Faroe Islands
France
French Guiana
Germany
Gibraltar
Greece
Guadeloupe
Guam
Guatemala
HongKong
Hungary
Iceland
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Kazakhstan
Kuwait
Laos
Liechtenstein
Local
Luxembourg
Macao
Malaysia
Malta
Mariana Islands
Martinique
Mauritius
Mayotte Island
Mexico
Monaco
Mongolia
Morocco
Mozambique
Namibia
Netherlands Antilles
New Zealand
Nigeria
Norway
Panama
Paraguay
Peru
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Reunion Island
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Singapore
Slovakia
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Swaziland
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand
Toll Free
Turkey
United Kingdom
Uruguay
US Virgin Islands
Venezuela
Vietnam

I haven't any information or experience concerning calling the USA or Canada with a global calling plan and was assuming that, since FU no longer offers the USA, Canada, Mexico (domestic) plans and the USA is only listed as a callable country on the PAYGO plan in conjunction with the global plans, Canada and Mexico would follow suit, which they didn't since they are not paygo places. I was trying to point out that the wording-- "comes with global calling" could be somewhat misleading given that it "is" a global, not domestic or USA, calling plan. Perhaps the global plans include unlimited t&t in the USA, like Canada and Mexico, without using PayGo, but one would think that would be stated in the plan details. And as "st3fx" points out, that "Local" entry is weird.

Edit: So if the global $15 and the $15 grandfathered domestic plans both feature unlimited USA, Mexico, and Canada t&t, then the global plan has enhanced global calling as a big plus while only having 500mbps data allowance compared to the domestic plans 1 GB data allowance, which is its plus.

st3fx said: "Interestingly, "Local" is listed as a country with unlimited calling."

"Local" could very well mean one has unlimited calling when in the USA and maybe when in other countries. I probably became too paranoid when FU announced it was doing away with coupon rewards and domestic plans while shifting its focus to global plans only, save for the free plan. It wouldn't make much sense to offer global plans in the USA market if the plans did not include unlimited USA calling, for then the plans would only be appealing to a very limited market. So "goof" is probably the simplest explanation.

Maybe the Pay-As-You-Go list has remnants of rates from before the move to all Global Calling plans.

Today from FU CS:

"Oh ok, sorry for the confusion.

The Global plans come with unlimited talk and text for calls made to the USA, from the USA, which is covered under the basic mobile calling plan, PLUS, the international calling is for calls from the USA to other countries.

So, you would not pay anything for calls to the USA from the USA.

There is no roaming, as coverage consists of the US, PR and Virgin islands."

FreeUP Support

So, even without rewards, FU has some decently priced AT&T plans which are yearning for the free plan users.
Also of note is that I sent two emails to CS and both were responded to in less than 24 hours, probably because the end of rewards with all of its kinks freed up CS from the congestion caused by that program.

Looks like FreeUP is tinkering again.
This time, an option for the lowest-cost paid plan-- buy 3 months for $40, as opposed to $45 when paying per month. The odd thing is that if you pick the 3-month option, you get 500 international minutes/mo (instead of unlimited), and apparently no option for purchasing data add-ons. (The plan includes 500 mb/mo, hard-capped.)

(EDIT-- see st3fx's correction just below.)

Thanks to Dennis Bournique at PrepaidCompare for posting this info..

@KentE My interpretation of "Unlimited US Talk + 500 Canada & Mexico ILD Minutes" is that this is not a "Global" plan (500 minutes ILD for Canada/Mexico only).

I would say your interpretation is correct-- Thanks for the correction!
It's also seems to be missing international text.

Thanks for the quick correction-- I'd feel terrible if someone who was making use of the international talk/text feature of the monthly plan swapped to save a few dollars.

It appears that the free plan 250 min or text has been removed from the Freeup website.

Uh oh... looks like it's time for FreeUP to change their name to PayUP!

Hi D_D.
Thanks for the heads-up folks.

That's nasty if they've killed it off - deceptive naming at the least.

I wonder if they're just editing stuff and/or whether they'll abolish the free plan after all ??

Received confirmation from Freeup that the free plan has been discontinued as of today. For new sign up anyway.

If you were about to get one then I would contact support as they may be able to get you onto the free plan manually if you contact them sooner rather than later.

True A few mos ago I was able to get the 1000 t or t plan through support when that plan recently ended.

Interesting... I just got off the phone with FU support and the rep assured me that the free plan was still available for new signups. :unsure:

I'm guessing that you are correct, though, since reps probably aren't instantly informed of changes made by their higher-ups, and it does seem odd that they would remove it from their website if it was still on offer.

The big question now is when will they boot existing users off of the various grandfathered free plans.

Oh no no no, don't give them ideas!

I love FreeUP for their free plan. It's perfect for my needs. I know I'll leave if they kick me off of the free plan.

If you go to their web site and click on plans, the free plan is still showing available at the bottom of the page.