Rewards Missing

I just got off the phone with CS. He was not very helpful. I told him my rewards were wiped clean and he just said "yes we know, it happened during an upgrade" I said I know how much I had and I told him. He said he made "note" of it but did not say they were put back on my account. He then said to "call back in a few hours or tomorrow" I then asked if they have "New plans" and he said "we haven't been told anything". Not very impressive and I'm on a paid plan.

This would have been an opportune time to send an email to customers informing them about the rewards being deleted due to a bad update. Who do they think they are, Micro$oft?

Some folks in our group just reported similar poor interactions with CS regarding their rewards balances. Essentially they were told to call back tomorrow to see if the rewards balance was restored.

Done gone Global. New focus, which sounds worse for us than the old fuzzy focus.

We'll see about grandfathering our plans.

"FreeUP Mobile initially launched with a focus of trying to provide free cellular service to all through the use of a rewards program. A representative from the company has informed BestMVNO that the rewards program will remain in place, however, the company's "new focus is on coverage, network quality, and best in class global calling." FreeUP Mobile's phone plans were updated this morning."

To add: Looking at FU's global plans I noticed that there was a country called "Local", whatever that means. I thought maybe it could mean within one's own country since the USA is not a listed global calling country. I also noticed the global plan has a PayGo feature for countries not listed as Global calling countries such as the USA where calling is .02 cents a minute. I wonder how that this Paygo thing works. When trying to find out more, one reaches a Youtube video that is not available. Confusing site is FreeUp.

Targeting global callers is not a bad marketing strategy if one is looking for a niche-- although it seems several MVNOs are already targeting that segment.. For most users, the real question is whether the 1 or few countries likely to be called regularly by an individual are included in the plan.

I don't place enough international calls for it matter.

It seems like a company would do a backup of account info before a major update-- so perhaps the balances are restorable if they're inclined to do so. I do know our balance in 1 account to within $1, and think I know the other, but with a little less certainty.

Here's where some doubt comes in-- the pesky fact that billaway sites are non-responsive, and the coincidental timing with the FreeUP site upgrade.....

Perhaps billaway went out of business.

It would explain the sudden changes.

I've been wondering....
Checking just now, the billaway sites I'm aware of are back up-- including freeup.billaway.com.
Might be a good idea to log in and save screenshots.

Also the rewards are back up on FU My account summary site.

Really good idea.Just did that very thing. I've got over a hundred bucks accumulated because I keep putting off starting a new paid plan. Right when you think it's smooth sailing FreeUP will do something.......

Well that was a crazy adventure. Sometimes it is better not to know about these things as they eventually sort themselves out.

Got into a little conversation over at BestMVNO with Joe Paonessa about the update and he replied as follows:
Joe Paonessa
"Coupon provider changed policy to only pay for coupons redeemed. Other rewards remain in tact. FreeUP tells me they are not aware of any bad updates, but you can contact them with your mobile number and the amount of awards you claim to have been deleted and get credited for them."

I informed him that the rewards had been restored to FreeUp accounts, and I guess the update was good since it only deleted customers' rewards for many hours. I also gave him a link to Nth Circle where members were talking about the update and other experiences with FreeUP Mobile. Perhaps Joe Paonessa contacting FreeUP accelerated the restoration process.

Same here! Glad they got things resolved sooner than later.

Now the biggest mystery (at least for me) is to see if our respective current free plans will continue to be "grandfathered" in. No doubt many others' free plans will renew soon, but I'll update to let you know what happens with mine on the 31st (if nobody else has already done so).

Agreed! As the saying goes, "Ignorance is bliss", which is probably why I'm so happy so much of the time. :slight_smile:

Interesting. Must be billaway as coupons.com still pays for clicks.

You seem happy all of the time!:sick:

Coupons.com Program Agreement:
Coupons.com Brandcaster® | Affiliate Program

Here are some excerpts that may or may not be relevant:

[i]"1.4 'Improper Means' means any direct or indirect action (or attempted action) by or at the direction of Publisher or User that generates an interaction with a Promotion or purports to be a Qualifying Transaction but is fraudulent, invalid, unauthorized, illegal, lacking sufficient documentation, generated by a bot, automated program or similar device, or otherwise not bona fide as reasonably determined by Quotient, its third party service providers, or Advertisers. By way of example only, Improper Means include: (a) repeated manual or automated activations of or clicks on Promotions on the Publisher Site; (b) using bots or other automated tools or means to interact with Promotions on the Publisher Site; (c) offering anything of value to Users to interact with Promotions on the Publisher Site; (d) offering to provide anything of value to a third party if Users interact with Promotions on the Publisher Site; (e) circumventing controls on the print limits per Offer per device; and (f) generating, using or distributing unauthorized copies of Offers or any portion thereof.

1.10 'Qualifying Transaction' means a transaction with a Promotion for which Quotient is paid by Advertisers that is eligible for a Commission as set forth in Addendum A, as modified by Quotient in its sole discretion from time to time. Qualifying Transactions may vary by Promotion type and must be bona fide transactions that are not generated by Improper Means.

Promotion Type: Coupon
Qualifying Transaction*: Eligible User interaction with a Coupon. For example, printing a Coupon is an eligible User interaction.

(b) 'Coupon' means an Offer within the Coupons section of the Savings Center on the Publisher Site or a link on the Publisher Site that clicks through to the Coupons section of the Coupons.com website. As used herein, 'Savings Center' means the Offer gallery that is available through the Program.

*As set forth in Section 1.10, Qualifying Transactions must be bona fide transactions that are not generated by Improper Means."[/i]

I did some poking around yesterday about coupons.com & owner Quotient Technology, too. I looked in a different path than st3fx's interesting link, though.

In a nutshell: it seems that a couple of the largest manufacturers they issue coupons for have cut back considerably on coupon availability. It also appears that Quotient's income may be tied to coupons redeemed, not coupons printed-- and the percentage of coupons redeemed has also fallen lately.

The Coupons.com TOS linked by st3fx has some interesting points-- it appears written, as many TOS are, to allow open-ended enforcement as they see how things are working for them (or not.) I wouldn't be surprised if the enforcement of the TOS is interpreted more in favor of the middle-man (like Billaway) when times are good for Quotient, and stricter when times are not so good.

I might guess that Billaway users likely redeemed a smaller percentage of coupons that average users-- and I know that my redemption percentage went down considerably as the need to print more coupons went up. (With 2 coupons/day, I would usually look for coupons I might actually use.) With declining availability of manufacturer-issued coupons, it makes sense for Quotient to want to direct access to those coupons towards users most likely to redeem them.

We've seen this before when a business model depends on 'payment by others'. It takes a nimble foot to find such a path that is workable, and an even nimbler foot to adjust as things change in the 'by others' chain.

The chain for FreeUP might look like:
Manufacturers (coupons) > Coupons.com (distributor)> Billaway (vendor)>FreeUP> Customers (us).
A change anywhere in that chain impacts us, but it's essentially impossible for us to know with any certainty where, or why, the chain breaks.
(In this case, thanks to the related Billaway sites previously posted by st3fx, it does appear that the chain broke between coupons.com & Billaway. The 'why' is open for speculation.)

(Another interesting tidbit from st3fx's link is information about required tracking data, which might raise issues somewhere along the chain.....since the app is delivered to us via the Google Play store, maybe I should have included them somewhere in the chain.)

All my rewards were posted back today like everyone else. Now just wondering if I'll be forced to pick a new plan or be grandfathered in with my old one. I am on the 15 buck unlimited talk and text with 1 GB of data. Seems the new 15 buck plan is 500mb instead of 1 gb.

That's what the site says---but it's also the "global" plan, whereas my, and I assume yours, $15 unlimiteded t&t+1GB plan is the Canada, USA, and Mexico plan. I would like for my plan to be grandfathered in since I have no use for the global plan. I'm departing FU anyway, once I use up my rewards.

Yep, I had a bad feeling about people printing mad coupons and not using any or very few. In our case, we use many but still, many went unused thus our percentage also went down.

As far as the plans, it looks like they are honoring the change to the 1GB for 15 on my end (submitted prior to the changes and shows online as the upcoming plan). Time will tell how long this lasts.