Limit the amount of new threads

Limit the amount of new threads a poster can make to 3 per month.

There are people spamming threads and posts

Hmmmm. Interesting. Why just 3? Why not 1 per 3 months or 1 per 6 months? What about one comment per thread? Better yet how about limiting the amount of threads to only those pre-approved by lexusl21. This is just ridiculous. Do you even know what "spam" is? Are you aware that the purpose for forums is to provide an avenue for discussion. What you suggest does not further that goal. What you want to do is stifle discourse and censor. Not good. Not good at all.

Instead of trying to mold this forum to your dictates, why not venture forth and create your own?

TLDR: I, personally, think this forum suggestion is a bad idea.

It's probably not a workable idea, because it's suggesting a technical 'patch' to control a behavioral problem. The problem isn't the number of threads created, it's the intent of the number of threads created.

And we all know that it's hard to quantify intent, or "civil behavior". It does not mean that it does not exist, or that it should not be a goal.

Legally-Speaking writes: " Are you aware that the purpose for forums is to provide an avenue for discussion. What you suggest does not further that goal"

Thank you for providing yet another learning experience today, in the form of another example of 'chutzpah'.

I'd also like to thank you, Legally-Speaking, for adding such a glowing denouncement of attempts to limit free speech. In the interest of being consistent in your scathing remarks, perhaps it might be appropriate of you to add similar comments and attacks on the suggesting party to previous similar suggestions, such as these:
Suggestion: Limit editing time

and
Suggestion: Limit Post Length

Clearly, the suggestion by lexusl21 limits free speech in a particular and problematic way. After 3 threads have been started, a poster can then only comment in existing threads. They are unable to start a new topic without infringing on other topics. I don't think that's an outcome that anyone wants.

The other two suggestions do not limit free speech in the same way. A character limit is on a single post. A poster can simply start another post right after the post that was character limited. Nothing of substance is loss apart from convenience. The suggestion to limit edit time similarly does not preclude a poster from expressing themselves in subsequent posts.

These two suggestions are not dissimilar to a current restriction which is not allowing duplicate posts. Technically speaking, restricting duplicate posts is a restriction on free speech, but it is something we all understand is helpful. I happen not to agree with the character limit proposal but I think that was a response to a copyright infringement issue so I think the proposer's heart was in the right place on that one. As to the current proposal, it is a blatant attempt at censorship and we all know it.

Says the guy spamming this board. So real helpful threads get lost or drowned out.
Last weekend was real peaceful and quite

The worst part of censorship is that some claim it's censorship if it limits their speech, and not censorship if it limits the speech of others.

It does not need to be a code just a new rule. If you break it. 1 warning then ban.

I also have another suggestion. But I think i will make a new thread lol

(emphasis added)

You're quite welcome, KentE. Allow me to thank you for assessing the true nature of OP's suggestion (to wit, "...attempts to limit free speech).

I believe he was showing your true nature, not the OP's.

Here is what he wrote, including the parts you purposefully left out.

I'd also like to thank you, Legally-Speaking, for adding such a glowing denouncement of attempts to limit free speech. In the interest of being consistent in your scathing remarks, perhaps it might be appropriate of you to add similar comments and attacks on the suggesting party to previous similar suggestions, such as these:

and

Unfortunately, I'll have to demur. I don't think OPs suggestion was to limit free speech, but rather a non-workable suggestion to limit boorish behavior. I'm in favor of freedom of speech, and against boorish behavior, and don't believe that the former should be used to defend the latter.

I was granting you the assumption that you were defending only free speech, and not necessarily trying to defend boorish behavior.
Please forgive me if my assumption was wrong.

Does your definition of "freedom of speech" include or exclude speech that meets your definition of "boorish behavior"?

Physician, heal thyself.

You're entitled to your belief. (Location joke. Couldn't resist.)

Again you cut his meaning short.

Here is what he wrote, including the parts you purposefully left out.

and

Sans code, who's tasked with monitoring this proposed limitation?

I find it funny that everytime I post or ooen a small thread. The same two trolls go after me. Shows their agenda. They have nothing to do but attack together

Do they do everything together?

Leave me alone

Simple and legitimate inquiry -
Sans code, who's tasked with monitoring this proposed limitation?

Nah we work in shifts. :lol:

Actually, he doesn't even answer my private messages. :frowning:

This harassment has got to end. This double teaming has got to end.

This jumping on every post and thread I make has got yo end

This spamming of the board has got to end.

Most people who get banned would stop their bad behavior. Not double down.

Just stop

3 per month is a bit extreme. 3 per week might be better.

How to police it... well it appears that only three people broke that rule this past week. How about naming and shaming...

In third place is me .... with 4 threads :frowning:
In second place is PEW with 8 threads :unsure:
And the loser is JTSR71 with 29 threads!! :ohmy: