Freemii big changes

Yes it was in response to the question about lifetime members. I'm not surprised at all considering they are offering $50 a month. We'll see how long it lasts. Hopefully the full 2 years but I still have no idea how they make any money. It is all a bonus to me. And much better than 1gb that may or may not work when you need it. Your number will be under your own control so if the lights go out no panic about losing it (for those who actually want to keep it)

I imagine you can use your existing tracfone account and just provide them the phone number when they are ready to begin payments. As for restrictions I suspect they just want to see you spent it on cellular service.

Now to actually pick one...

I went with Verizon PrePaid. Their "unlimited" plan is $50, but that doesn't include taxes and fees, so I'm wondering if there will be a bit due when the annual "reconcilliation" occurs. Or maybe I can choose the $35 plan which I think is 12GB, still way more than I need. Guess we'll just wait and see.

yes i was thinking about verizon prepaid but be careful about that as the price shown is after a considerable autopay discount ($10). I don't think you'd get that discount with freemii paying. You would get the loyalty discount though which will bring the price down in 9 months. But you might want to select the $45 plan with 15gb if you don't want to pay anything.

Maybe paying the taxes and fees each month will mean you can have it on autopay and get the $10 discount. No idea.

You'd think this would be less complicated.

15GB would be plenty for me, so I'd opt for that plan to keep it free. Yeah, nothing is easy.

Did anyone on here complete the network transfer from Freemii? How did you doit? did the new provider ask for account number and pin for freemii number transfer or port? Di the new provider require initial payment to complete activation?

Thank you for your replies

Still trying to figure out which to choose and whether they will pay for the first month to activate in their activation kit.

Thank you mmfacemm: I sent freemii CS a message asking them exactly how this works on transferring the freenii line in my case total by Verizon since i already have a sim card for total by Verizon I'm waiting for their reply I will update on here as soon as i find out

1 Like

I don't think the SIM's are going out until the 1st. I haven't received anything from FreeMii since the original announcement.

I've gone through both forms, but I am trying to use a SIM/line that (to put it mildly) I activated without waiting for them, and take the provider's number instead of transferring my FreeMii number, so I don't really have useful feedback to the things you're asking.

I did end up discovering that the first form requires the phone number and IMEI they have on file in order to match your account, and as a result of that, that I was remembering incorrectly both which slot in my dual-SIM phone I had used for the FreeMii SIM when I was last using it, and what the actual last digit of the IMEI of one of my SIM slots is (because for some reason it doesn't display the last digit for that one in the settings UI). So...in case that helps anyone.

1 Like

For those of you that might have sims from the listed providers by freemii and ready to activate.
This what I received from freemii CS

You can keep your MDN freemii phone number. Please let us know when do you want to initiate porting freemii phone number to your selected provider.

We'll email you the porting details, and you shall be able to activate your new plan on your cost.

When the porting is confirmed by your new provider, please fill in Transfer Confirmation Form that we can set up the crediting process for you.

Un fortunately if any initial costs to activate is on us not freemii Freemii takes over on or about 2nd month

Hope this helps

1 Like

Great info thanks both of you. I almost entered in another imei thinking it needed to be whichever phone you wanted to use going forward.

To add I have received confirmation that their activation kit does indeed include a sim and the first month service.

For what it's worth, that would have just made it refuse the form submission with a message to the effect of "we can't verify your account."

Seriously, does anyone really think this new direction is tenable?

mmfacemm after back and forth messaging FreeMii support about getting this process of transferring my FreeMii number to total wireless one of the providers on the FreeMii list. I didn’t want to pay the initial costs to activate my own total wireless sim So I talked them into sending me a sim in the mail and they did mention that 1st month service will be included. I will still have to register an account and notify FreeMii as instructed and they will take over with the credits

Thanks for the info. Did they mention when the SIMs are going to start to be shipped?

dnoonan: I contacted FreeMii support last Friday 12/2 they are processing my order and they will EMAIL me an update when it’s shipped I’ll post here when I get shipment notification

1 Like

Yes thanks I think I will get a sim kit too and keep it free.

Ten-able? As in, they might make it through ten of those 24 months, somehow? Uh...maybe? Either they're on their way to tanking and they're not admitting it, or somehow they genuinely think they have the financial means to make it through those promised two years and either remain or become profitable. I hope it's the latter, but I can't grasp how.

P.S. I do in fact know what tenable means

The viability of their business model has always appeared to me to hinge on three possibilities.

One was that they could in fact provide service at a lower cost to them than the revenue they got from membership fees. Depending on their arrangement with their network providers, that didn't seem entirely impossible; after all, their offering at $299/y looked to me like it was roughly in competition with Visible and maybe a few other MVNOs. Of course, they also had to cover us early lifetime adopters.

With FreeMii paying separate MVNOs for service on plans chosen by the members, that seems a lot less possible. There probably are people who would rather pay $300 a year than a monthly bill coming out to less, but not all that many, so it's hard to imagine them getting more in membership fees than they pay out in service allowances for most of their customers. And that's if they hadn't waived the next two years of those fees.

The other main possibility lies in eventually bringing out other benefits of membership that could both provide more reasons for people to be members than a reasonably good deal on phone service, and give FreeMii more revenue streams than just the annual membership fee. As far as I know, nothing like that has progressed beyond "coming soon."

The third possibility is that they're somehow able to be profitable by selling data about their members. I don't see where they'd be getting enough of said information in their current business model for that to be realistic, especially after this change, but maybe I'm underestimating something.

I don't think there's any doubt that this is FreeMii quietly folding their tent. I have no complaints, even if they new model doesn't make it the full 2 years. 2 1/2 years, plus whatever time on the new plan for $177 is a pretty damn good deal. They gave it their best shot. That's all you can ask.

Just got an order email for my total by verizon activation kit.

I've received more out of it so far than I paid in so however long they last it is just free service from here. I didn't think they would even last 2 years so anything is possible. Still don't know how they make any money. Maybe they have some financing they already acquired or a rich backer.