What kind of phone is needed for FreeUp?

Thank you for the pic. Firefox would stay only for a second at the ATT link. Afterwards it goes to AT&T Device Support – Select a Phone, Tablet, or Device Brand.

Wow, that link is seriously different looking than the one we've been working from, and confusing. It doesn't actually show the SIM inserted..
But saving dst11's picture and enlarging it, the SIM is the right size, and the right slot, it just needs to be rotated 180 degrees to match the engraving in the plastic of the phone. (That magnifying glass will be handy again to see the 'drawing' well.) (EDIT: Road Ranger's pic of the micro-SIM installed is great! no need for the magnifying glass.....)

The correct orientation is likely the alternate position you've already tried....

So , possibly a bad or damaged SIM card, or a bad SIM slot on the phone. There's a way to test it cheap, by installing a different AT&T-network SIM card. It does not need to be activated-- the phone should still 'read' it, indicate signal strength, etc. (An unactivated SIM may prompt you to activate it-- just ignore it, but it's handy because that definitely tells you it's being read.)

https://www.target.com/p/tracfone-bring-your-own-phone-sim-activation-kit/-/A-50174990
$1 at Target, frequently $1 at Best Buy, Walmart, Dollar General, or some local grocers and drug stores. (Some places may be more expensive, though.)

The Tracfone kit will have 3 SIM cards, for T-Mobile, AT&T. Verizon. Pick the AT&T one.
SIM kits from Net10 or Straight Talk will work as well, or a yellow SIM card from h20. (another AT&T MVNO, and these are usually $1 too.)

If the phone won't read that SIM either, you probably need to contact the seller. If it does read the test SIM, call FreeUP, (or the seller) and maybe they'll send you a new one without charge.

Those are some fairly deep grooves on the sim face. Maybe cutting a small piece of electrical tape to size and sticking on to the grooved surface might make a difference. Also, after installation try rebooting (Completely shutting down and restarting)two or three times and see if the no sim message disappears.

What will happen if you insert a non-att-network SIM in a ATT-network phone like the XP5, assuming the SIM and the SIM slot are OK? Anything different than 'No SIM card'?

Target is close by. I'll try to pick up a SIM card tomorrow.

The 1st pic mentions a 3-in-1 SIMs. So, three 3-in-SIM?

Yes!

I can try. But do you think there is any space between the top of the SIM card and the bottom of the metal bar for it?

OK

There should be enough space with a thin piece of tape on the top of the sim card.

"What will happen if you insert a non-att-network SIM in a ATT-network phone like the XP5, assuming the SIM and the SIM slot are OK? Anything different than 'No SIM card'? You should get a message like "Invalid or Incompatible Sim" or a similar message to that effect rather than "No Sim Card" or possibly no message at all, which means the phone sim slot knows(reads) there is a sim inserted.

Yes, you should get (3) 3 in one sim cards in the Tracfone kit.

It was the FreeUp SIM from eBay. When I inserted the ATT SIM from the Tracfone SIM kit I got at Target, the 'No SIM card' message went away. I'll contact the eBay seller. BTW, I tried putting tape on top of the FU SIM. It went in: 'No SIM card'.

Better to know the sim card is the culprit rather than the phone. I think it's probable that you and/or your cousin damaged the sim card, but maybe the seller will provide a new one since it's possible the sim was defective from the beginning.

@ dst11 --Let us know if you were able to get a new sim and get that beastly phone fired up.:slight_smile:

Yes, no problem.

I called [Friday] FreeUp's customer service 888 number. After some brief troubleshooting, the rep said she escalated the matter to technical support and told me to call back in 24-48 hours. I called today [Saturday] and the rep said they'll mail me a replacement SIM and that it will arrive in 4-5 business days. Also, to call them when the replacement SIM arrives and ask them to update the SIM in my account.

SUCCESS!

I got the replacement SIM on Saturday. I put it today in the phone:

No 'No SIM card' error. So, I called FU to replace the old SIM with this. The guy asked for the long SIM # and the phone's IMEI and did it.

So, I tried to make a call. No dice! I rebooted, tried again, call went through fine. Now I hope FU doesn't kick me out of the Free plan! :slight_smile:

My Free plan's monthly term ends on December 31. How does renewal work? How soon can I renew? The link/text is not clickable at this point. BTW, I see a warning that I don't have a default payment method. Do I have to have one? In the payment methods, the Credit Card I used during the sign-up process is there.

A week before the end of your month a pop up appears and you can renew by clicking renew free plan. It won't show up just yet since you are a couple of weeks away.

Thank you. 1 week is pretty good.

I switched over to the free plan on the 11th of this month. Just to clarify, is it required that we click on a "renewal link" each month to keep it going? If so, it seems like the window opens about a week before it expires, is there some grace period after the expiry day?

I don't remember any report by a member on this forum stating they had failed to renew before the expiry date and lost their account or were able to keep it after renewing after the expiry date. So being in the dark about the matter I wouldn't want to be the first who tried to renew after the expiry date.

Yes, one must log in to renew each month about a week prior to the expiration date.

Officially, it's required and there is no grace period mentioned.

Unofficially: several users have reported that their free plan renewed despite taking no action, and at least in one case for several months running. Users have also reported an unofficial grace period if something goes wrong with your renewal and you call and talk to customer service.

My intention is to not take chances, and to renew my plan manually.

Indeed. Better safe than sorry!

Agreed, I have always had to renew my free plan online. I just have a recurring reminder every month.