What do you think about the Trump presidency?

It's selfish, I know, but I like the way the stock markets have gone up, for I have benefited considerably from the increase, which is the opposite of what some experts had predicted. But what will it do in the future, which is always the 64 thousand dollar question?:dry:

It's selfish, I know, but I like the way the stock markets have gone up, for I have benefited considerably from the increase, which is the opposite of what some experts had predicted. But what will it do in the future, which is always the 64 thousand dollar question

Here is the answer to your question: the market is about to crash.

Sell and book the gain and contribute the profit to the Arts which need the extra funds.

Then when it hits bottom buy back in and ride it all the way up and have a good conscience about it.

If you are the worrying type and nervous it may go still higher, then sell but buy some index leaps. With the VIX at historic lows, they are dirt cheap.

" I was misinformed"

So was I.

Until the draft budget was announced I had believed that only humans and corporations were persons.

Now I know better--there is so much to learn.

[quote="Oldbooks1"]
It's selfish, I know, but I like the way the stock markets have gone up, for I have benefited considerably from the increase, which is the opposite of what some experts had predicted. But what will it do in the future, which is always the 64 thousand dollar question

Sell and book the gain and contribute the profit to the Arts which need the extra funds.

Then when it hits bottom buy back in and ride it all the way up and have a good conscience about it.

Chapeau---you're a mind reader. The gain will certainly feed a lot of starving Artists. Oh the beauty of laissez-faire economics.:silly:

Oh the beauty of laissez-faire economics.

Well if you do not like that approach, here is your chance to like something about the current Administration.

Use this simple tool to chart the correct course for the nation, including the tab to be covered and the means to do it, and then present it for discussion.

The nice thing about this tool is anyone can use it and no technical knowledge is needed. It makes it clear just how simple it would be to manage the US economy.

No no no - have none of your books taught you not to time the market??! The beast shall not be tamed.

Now if you have enough money to not care then go ahead and sell.

Hmm what do I like about the Trump presidency.... it meant the end of the Obama presidency?

... so is Trump saying that he can see Melania from the White House via the microwave in the kitchen?

I like the way that public approval of Obamacare is net positive for the first time ever!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/obama_and_democrats_health_care_plan-1130.html

"No no no - have none of your books taught you not to time the market??! The beast shall not be tamed."

I could not agree more.

My answer was a tongue-in-cheek response to the $64K question above.

Uhh--probably.

In a similar vein, are we happy that Obamacare will be repealed?

It looks like it'll work out better for richer people and younger people. As well as healthy people.

If you're older, poorer and need an above average level of healthcare, it looks like you'll be worse off.

If one was being cynical, it looks like many Trump supporters will suffer and the non Trump supporters who were subsidizing them will be better off.

Btw, great summary of who wins and who loses:

I'll say it again, "return on investment" seems to be a recurring theme. Are hard times ahead for the elderly (healthy and unhealthy)? How about the young deemed by some to be "disposable" (no ROI)?

Has there been any mention of increased funding for EDUCATION? Follow the $$$. Where's the bulk of it going? Who benefits from the outlay? Food for thought.

Fox viewers want to have a Paula Deen cake and eat it too:

To reiterate what I have said before, I am of the informed belief that the only viable way to have a "fair" health care system is to separate health care from the free market system, which is often imperfect, and create a single payer system overseen by the government. Obama care was a fatal compromise doomed to failure, even though is has temporarily helped many people. Combining tax credits and the free market is also a fatal compromise doomed to harm many people. A single payer system does have many problems but has solved so many more serious problems, and it is acceptable to most who have it. I'm willing to pay more taxes to support health care for all, and it appears that more doctors , nurses and hospital are thinking along these lines as well. In short more people are thinking it's the right moral behavior. I hope we can go beyond thinking of winners and losers when talking of health care.Some of the outstanding American accountants should be able to figure out the numbers that would make this happen. But will they be asked? Not if all people talk about is freedom and choice.

I would venture to suggest that Sisyphus is the greatest example of an individual who focused on the achievement of a strategic outcome and would certainly have not been dissuaded by concerns expressed by critics.

So far there have not been any reports of a successful outcome in that case even though the effort has been underway for considerably longer than the time provided for two consecutive terms as President of the United States.

Then again black swans may grace the White House lawn.

As they might say in one of Dr. Weidmann's neighboring countries, Qui Vivra, Verra!:slight_smile:

It just occurred to me that the song "Old Man River" seems to indicate that rivers are people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyJtGNk9iEU

I am pleased to see that President Trump has found a way to make philosophy, which had always seemed rather removed from practical life, useful in the business of conducting the nation's affairs.This is a remarkable achievement and certainly the greatest accomplishment of the first 100 days.

Trump’s playbook should be familiar to any student of critical theory and philosophy
It often feels like Trump has stolen our ideas and weaponized them.

If Trump's brain can be associated with any school of thought in the history of western philosophy, then the Sophists(who Plato did not consider true philosophers) come to mind, particularly Gorgias, the so-called father of the Sophists. "Gorgias’ writings are intended to be both rhetorical (persuasive) and performative. He goes to great lengths to exhibit his ability of making an absurd, argumentative position appear stronger. Consequently, each of his works defend positions that are unpopular, paradoxical and even absurd."

On another note, some of Trump's supporters as well as Trump himself have been enamored by and influenced by the "philosophy" of Ayn Rand, who never has been taken seriously by the academic community of philosophers.