Truphone service disruption notice

I got this a few hours ago. Emphasis is mine:

---START---

[Truphone]

[notice]

SERVICE DISRUPTION

Incident Reference Number: 01692387

Geography: Global

We have identified an issue with one of our charging nodes that is causing a disruption to our incoming and outgoing voice service. Data and SMS are not affected. We have activated a service continuity path to mitigate the voice service issue but this path will temporarily limit the calls to 15 minutes, after which the call will drop.

Customers on VoLTE and VoWiFi will not be able to make and receive calls. As a first mitigation, we highly recommend for you to switch VoLTE and VoWiFi service for the meantime.

Our Engineers are working hard to get the services restored. We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause. We will provide periodic updates. Should you have any queries in the meantime, please contact our Truphone Help Team.

Service Impacted: Voice calls

Start Date / Time: (2021-09-09 14:15:00)

End Date / Time: ()

Note: all time events are registered in GMT

---END---

Isn't the bold part nutty? VoLTE and VoWiFi can't make/receive calls so we suggest you switch to VoLTE and VoWiFi. Maybe the person that wrote this was drunk... Or am I reading it wrong?

I think you're reading it as "switch to" or "switch on" when what it says is only "switch" and what it should have said is "switch off." I could have sworn it said "switch to" myself, until I thought "that makes no sense" and went back to look at the words more carefully.

oh yes, it says "...we highly recommend for you to switch VoLTE and VoWiFi service for the meantime."

"to switch" what is unspecified though. maybe in british english 'to switch' implies 'to switch off''. or the author was drunk!

Yes, their wording is confusing for sure. My "translation" would be that they might be suggesting you find another provider for the time being until they get things working again. If that's what they intended, it's both remarkably honest ("Sorry, we have no idea when we'll be back up and running") and worrisome as it does not bode well for your truphone future (or theirs).

Of course, that's only a guess. Hopefully that's not what they meant, and things will be back to normal for you soon once their tech team recovers from pub night.

I have two Truphone activated sims, but I did not receive the confusing (2021-09-09 14:15:00) service disruption email on either account, though I have received a few such service disruption notices in the past. Anyway, I just made test calls with my Truphone phones, and all is well, although I didn't test to see if calls dropped after 15 minutes. I suspect that the disruption only affected certain Truphone customers, who will be notified when normal service has been restored, as Truphone has done in the past. Yet, since Truphone is phasing out its physical sim business, perhaps its MO is not what it used to be.

I never had a problem with my truphone service (both incoming (free) and outgoing (9c/min)). I, also, never received an 'all clear' or any other messages from truphone. maybe this was a hiccup the morning after pub night!