Tracfone questions

Hi all.
Since nth circle members have a wealth of knowledge I thought I'd ask before I go blundering off to call customer service.

How do I transfer 500 minutes to a different individuals Tracfone without losing my number?

What Is the cheapest way to extend service on a Tracfone for one year if I still have plenty of minutes and want to keep the same device?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-99-1-Year-365-Day-Plan-400-Minutes-talk-text-web/112620117527?epid=9002884220&hash=item1a38ae9e17:g:kh0AAOSw8vdZcAt8
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRACFONE-400-MINUTES-400-SMS-400-DATA-365-SERVICE-DAYS/322862424911?hash=item4b2c19a34f:g:8X0AAOSwwN5ZiBnN
Strategy: http://www.betterchem.com/tracfone.htm

I don't think you are allowed to transfer 500 min. to another person's Tracfone .Perhaps a forum member with Tracfone experience can offer further clarification.

Has anyone successfully transferred minutes to anyone elses' tracfone account recently?
When I opened my account, it was an option, as easy as checking the box and designating the phone number.
Thanks Isamorph!

I haven't fiddled around with Tracfone for some time, but it used to be if one had 2 or 3 Tracfones on the your account, one could transfer all the minutes from one phone to another, but the number, I think, had to be transferred as well. I'm not sure if your speaking of transferring minutes between Tracfones on one account or between Tracfones on different accounts, and , if the latter, I was never aware of that possibility. You should be able to Google for a n answer to your question. Here's a link from 2014 that may be of help.

Oh!
Good idea. We have tracfones, (thank you Extra Terrestrial Zoologist) but don't have a current account. Maybe that should be my first step.
Thanks.

The current Tracfone policy is that you can only transfer the days, minutes, and phone number together to another phone. You can't 'donate' minutes from one active phone to another.
But.... things change, and sometimes CS will do something for you if you ask.
The best source for tough questions about Tracfone is the Turk Forums at
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/index/
Turk moderates pretty tightly, and will place new posts as part of pre-existing threads on a similar subject-- so when reading there, skip through enough pages in a thread until you get to recent posts.

als, I'm a little confused about exactly what you're trying to accomplish, since you said you don't have a Tracfone account........
I might be able to offer a route to accomplish what you're trying to do........

Is your goal to save your current phone number, but use it somewhere other than Tracfone? (and save the minutes/time from that same phone to use on a different tracfone?

Do you have more than one currently active Tracfone?

@KentE
Thanks for the link to the forum. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the info there.
We have 2 Tracfones expiring soon.
No online Tracfone accounts
Two phone numbers we must keep
One phone which works for a hard of hearing individual which we must keep.
One new QVC smart flip-phone currently unactivated
2 balances of 500 and 1,00 minutes which we'd like to combine and roll over, into the old flip phone which works well for the hard of hearing person,
and then activate the new smart flip phone for the "lite" user who couldn't care less what kind of phone it is. and usually needs less than 300 minutes per year.
How in the heck do we accomplish all this?

Make a TF account for each device.

Which exact phones do you currently have activated on TF?

Hopefully the phones in question are both CDMA (VZW) and basic feature phones? If not, your chances are slim to none because CDMA does not require a SIM card change.

There is a lot to go wrong here and your chance at success is at best 50/50 even if they are CDMA.

Trying to transfer a balance over to a currently activated device is a feat to begin with, keeping the number associated with the transferred units is probably unlikely.
Feature phones are a different animal, I know with Smart Phones if you try to transfer service over to another smart phone you wipe the phone number and current units off that device.

The best bet I see would be to port out the one number you want to keep to another service and reactivate the current phone with a new number keeping the current days/units on the device. It is best to go to chat to facilitate this. You can later port back that number into the new TF phone.

Go to chat and choose technical support.
Have the chat agent document the days of service and units for the device you want to port out from.
Tell C/S that you want to port out and reactivate the current phone keeping your units and air time.
Ask for a ticket number, click to e-mail the chat conversation to yourself and also copy and paste the conversation to your comp.

Once you port out you should be able to reactivate the device on the TF website with a new number keeping your days/units. If not you will need to go back to chat and get them to add the service back to the device, why you want to get that documented.

Now that you have an expendable number you can go back to chat and ask to combine the units with your other TF, get everything documented. If the chat agent does not want to do this then close the chat and try another chat agent.

You can try the same with a GSM device but you will need to wait for TF to send you a new SIM for each transfer.

KentE Turk forum post if you did not locate it
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/single/?p=604133&t=8151937

You might also take this question over to the Howard Forums TF Board as well. There may be a better approach than what I describe.
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/330-Tracfone-Net10?s=4d2afa431d8578614dbd3031821db99e

When you add the devices to a TF account you can extend the service by 365 days for $50. Click on "buy service plan" under the device you want to extend service for and choose a service plan. Click one time purchase. Then on the check out page under "More for your phone" check the box next to 365 Extra service days. Then go to the green garbage can next to the airtime to delete it and then continue to purchase the Extra service days.

You must add a CC to your account to purchase air time, but you can remove it afterwards if you do nit want to leave a cc on the account.

I have seen the 'supersize' option mentioned many times in different forums as a way of extending service time for a year. Yours is the first mention I've seen that it's possible to remove the refill card from the cart, and I didn't know it was possible. Thanks!

I did a mock purchase before posting and it seems to still be working as described, I have also not heard on HoFo to the contrary so...... until they catch on? It really should be a la carte like Data and SMS and IMO they need to add a minute only card as well.

I usually keep an eye out for a good value on a phone/1 year bundle from HSN when a renewal is coming near, go through the ol' double transfer and then flip the phone on eBay. Why a CDMA phone comes in handy.

Thanks all, there are many ways to 'skin a cat' and I'm learning , learning ,learning. currently on overload.
@The_Uncomfortable_Truth "The best bet I see would be to port out the one number you want to keep to another service and reactivate the current phone with a new number keeping the current days/units on the device. It is best to go to chat to facilitate this. You can later port back that number into the new TF phone."
I think that that may be the step I just wan't getting all along.
How the heck is it possible, ( what are the steps?) to port out a number and then re-activate the phone.
Nest question. How do I port a number to a (already active) TF?

I thought I had explained what to do in my post and it is also explained in the link I provided to KentE's post on Turk forum. It can be confusing.

You said you had 2 current active phones and one inactivated that I assume is bundled with service time. Are these 2 phones both feature phones and are they CDMA(VZ) or GSM?

In a nut shell:

1. Phone #1 for the hard of hearing stays activated.

2. Port out of phone #2 to another service (I guess we need a separate discussion for the best/cheapest way to do so) You really need to contact chat to document your current service.
    If these are feature phones then you should note both parameter 0 and parameter 30 on the phone. (under menu should have code entry mode > enter *#0 note number > ok > enter *#30 note number > ok.)

3. Reactivate second phone with new number retaining original days/units. (Kent posted he was able to do this using the website rather than C/S)

4. Contact TF C/S ( I believe Chat is the best way to go) and attempt to to get TF C/S to transfer the days/units over to phone #1

5. Follow the path to activate the new QVC phone and port the number you ported out from phone #2 into that one.

You can always try #2 without porting out, but the device will be deactivated and it is my concern you have a probability of losing the number.

I assume being a former R+ sub you have a Sprint phone laying around, so Tello might be a cheap way to port the number over to.

Thanks ALL!!!!!!!! (BIG HUGE GRIN!)
The help, extensive step by step intsructions, were INVALUABLE.
I know I asked repetitive questions, but the light finally came on.
It worked!!!!! I got a competent, courteous, sympathetic rep.
Both phone numbers were retained AND Phone A got the extra un-needed minutes from phone B
Thank You !!!!
It worked !!!!!!! I was able to transfer the minutes from phone B to phone A. The rep de-activated phone B,
then the rep immediately activated the new QVC phone with phone B's number.
Result PERFECT!
Both phone numbers were retained AND Phone A got the extra un-needed minutes from phone B
Thanks ALL!!!!!!!!

Wow, als-- great! I did not have high hopes for the unit transfers. I am certain that your clear explanation of what you wanted to accomplish was as important as having that competent, courteous, and sympathetic rep.

Did you do this via phone, or via online Chat?

I know it wasn't that critical in your case, but did the remaining airtime on Phone B stay on phone B, or transfer with the minutes to Phone A?

Glad to find out it was significantly less complicated than I had anticipated, hopefully this is new policy that TF has adopted.

This is reassuring since I have been debating in trying a similar move with my service. Having had my doubts in its success, I may now move forward with my plans.

Could you please post the exact path you followed to get this accomplished.

@The_Uncomfortable_Truth "Could you please post the exact path you followed to get this accomplished."
Con Mucho Gusto!

1. I initiated a chat session; with Tracfone,

"Hi! How may I help you today?
Aroldo: Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.
Aroldo: Hi
Aroldo: How may I assist you?
You: Could you please give me the balance and service end date for my phone number_____________
Aroldo: Sure.
Aroldo: Please allow me a moment to look into this.
Aroldo: You currently have 533 voice minutes and the service end date is on December 21, 2017.
Aroldo: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
You: I would like to take 500 minutes from my phone and transfer those 500 minutes to ____________ phone
Aroldo: Unfortunately, we can only transfer the phone number, minutes and service days over to an inactive phone.
You: My_____________ is active, iI would like to add 500 minutes from my phone to ____ phone
Aroldo: Unfortunately, we can only transfer the phone number, minutes and service days over to an inactive phone.

Aroldo: We cannot transfer just the service.
Aroldo: Sorry for the inconvenience.
You: if i deactivate the phone can we keep the number and minutes?
Aroldo: No, your phone number will be assigned to ________ phone.
You: Is there anything I can do to give _____ the extra minutes I don't need?
Aroldo: Unfortunately, no.
You: Thank You, Looks like I will be leaving tracfone.
Aroldo: You are welcome.
You: No thank you
Aroldo: You are welcome.
Aroldo: Thank you for chatting with TracFone Wireless. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-800-867-7183. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information.
You: good bye
Aroldo: Goodbye."

1. Early the next morning I noticed a text message from 317-78 to call customer care center at 1-800=867-7183 to complete this transaction.
    Why not?
    I called, the rep, Who, reiterated that they could not transfer the minutes, " I said OK I understood the conversation, , but I got the message to call this number to complete the transaction. " We went r'round and round again, I repeated that I understood the conversation, but was calling as requested. I then brought up the possibility that I could activate the new tracfone I have in my possesion if I could give my remaining 500 minutes to the other number, as long as I could keep both numbers.

Bingo Presto,
The rep deactivated my phone, transferred the 500 minutes, then activated the new phone (QVC $50 flip-smartphone 1200/1200/1200 1 year) with the same old number!
Both phones active with the same numbers!
Happy Dance!

1. @KentE I lost 30 minutes +/- balance, cause I only asked for 500 minutes to be taken from my account.
    I bought the $50/ 365 days service add on. I looked at the $10 tracfone add on decided to go with $20 add on + 120- minute bonus code from turk forum + 120 extra days of service.
    I got exactly what I asked for.
    Phone B ended up with over 1700 minutes and 15 months of service, Phone A 1200/1200/1200 1 year.
    Avg cost since extraterrestrial zoologist started me out with 2, 800 minute 1 year plans; under $3.25.' month for over .2 years service with a big bucket of minutes, roaming on all networks while I am travelling or on assignment available if necessary.

I am Stoked!!!!!!

GRIN!!!!!!!!!

Good thing about tracfone is carryover. I have a ton of minutes built up over the years . I just add the $50 year card extension and a $10 1gb card each year.

I agree! Tracfone is frequently disparaged, and often overlooked. For the right user, and the right application, it can be a great choice.
I used Tracfone for years specifically because of the carryover. Many months I used only 30 minutes, and some months 200. There's more competition now for low-volume users at a reasonable cost, but the carryover is still a valuable, and rare, feature.

I'd like to add a special thanks to The_Uncomfortable_Truth, who is really an expert on how to change phones and work around the Tracfone policy limitations, and how to do it with minimal risks. I've saved several of his explanations from various forums, and find them great reference material.

Ahh, so this was basically courtesy and they have not changed their front line policy. Does not make much sense since they are obviously able to perform this task.

When you enabled chat the first go around did you choose Technical Support? It may just be a coincidence, but when I choose Tech support over the other options I seem to always get an agent that knows what they are doing.

When I get an agent like Aroldo I will just end the chat and then try another agent

Everything is a fight with TF, but most MVNOs are not any different and most will not accommodate you period.

Looks like I still have a chore on my hands. :frowning:

@The_Uncomfortable_Truth " When you enabled chat the first go around did you choose Technical Support? It may just be a coincidence, but when I choose Tech support over the other options I seem to always get an agent that knows what they are doing.?"

Thanks, good to know for next time. I always went with tech support for my previous provider, but I was so overwhelmed with trying to consolidate all the info, I just hit chat and went for it.

Please let us know how it all works. I'm all ears for an easier way.