Ting

Details... details... details... :slight_smile:

1)Paygo .If I have $5, $19 or even $50 prepaid on Paygo, the maximum I can lose if I neglect to hang up the phone or a new great app suddenly updates over cell data in the background;' the maximum I can lose, is , $5, $19, or $50 . respectively.....No overages.

UNLESS AS PER Isamorph,
"Provided that one does not have auto-recharge for $10 or whatever enabled, I would think."
!!!!!!!!!
Then it is no longer true paygo, but the dastardly MORDOR"S MODRED morphodite top up that i railed against with Ringplus.

2)Post paid, Top up, credit card attached.If i have a topup, postpaid or any type of cc card attached to my account I am liable for all charges incurred.

Getting us back on topic: The "disable service" options in the TING Dash are great!

Out-bound calls say: "The number or code you have dialed is incorrect"
When people call, they hear: "The number you have dialed is temporarily not in service."

Out-bound Texts say: "You are not authorized to send texts"
When people text, they don't get any alert at all that the message didn't go through. I didn't test this extensively, though.

Since I plan to just use data, I haven't played with that too much, other than to make sure it works.

For me this ensures (Hopefully) that I don't get billed for a bunch of features I don't plan to use. (Or for INCOMING things - since no one has this number except TING, no calls/text on this number are for me anyway.)

Hi, everyone, I'm just going to address this here, since many of you were asking for an answer. I contacted the host a while ago, stating that I am a Tello fan, customers & reseller, and since I got the verified badge, I though it should be clear for all to see. I am sorry for any inconvenience, if there were any.

I am here to help & spread good news, so if you have questions, I'll be more than happy to answer and do my best!

Thanks!

alexdm - how do I become a Tello reseller?

How can you have a liability for something you prepaid?

It is the party who received the prepayment that has the liability. You have a credit.:huh:

Meaning the maximum loss you're liable to suffer is the amount you prepaid.

I'm going to stick with Ting for a month and see how I like it happens but the 3 lines for my family will probably end up going to different providers. Most likely one to H20, one to Mint and my personal line will be on a constant move, hopping from one deal to the next but in the end, I'll probably end up at either Mint or H20. I'm a huge data use and both H20 and Mint have great deals for high-end data users.

Also shoutout to hungryghost for making this forum open to us. Thank you sir.

@bebinabraham Why H2O rather than Cricket?

I answered this in the other thread that you asked me the same question in.

Sorry Ting, I appreciate your help very much, but no unlimited 2g is a dealbreaker for me.

Ting doesn't do unlimited anything, in any form.

I have been trying to determine what type of cell user is the ideal customer for Ting and have a hard time finding the answer.

For a heavy user, there are better choices as there are for light users.

Ting seems to try to attract customers who look at just total price (the famous $23 monthly bill) rather than those who analyze actual needs and the most economical way to meet them.

How can you have a liability for something you prepaid?

Auto recharge. aka top up, aka......etc.....

I guess my inner bean counter struggles with this way of looking at it even though I can see why it may seem like that.

In the massive thread over in Social where these issues were discussed in depth we never came to a resolution.

People also commonly lump taxes and fees together even though the are not the same at all. Similarly FICA payments ares not actually taxes although people are used to thinking of it in that way.

There are international standards on these issues and the US does formally subscribe to them. Of course, domestically they are mostly ignored even in official government documents.

People also commonly lump taxes and fees together even though the are not the same at all. Similarly FICA payments ares not actually taxes although people are used to thinking of it in that way.
Don't get me started on taxes vs fees on telephone bills.
Neither seem to be disputable, as phone companies, lump them together as mandatory government charges, and petitions to state regulatory agencies, just go round in circles.,

You are absolutely correct--as far as disputing them there is nothing whatever one can do if you want to use the service. The amount out of pocket is exactly the same no matter what these things are called.

It is like saying the grocery bill was $40 but we can break it down into different things like meat, produce, canned goods etc. These items are different but when you get to the cash register they are all treated pretty much the same way (unless of course you have a coupon for one of them.:slight_smile: )

If you use a car for both business and personal use, the price for gas is the same. However, the miles you can deduct for tax purposes actually "cost less" in terms of price per mile driven.

And don't forget if you use a car for business, the deduction is one rate (53.5 cents this year). If you drive the same car for medical reasons, your rate is only 17 cents per mile. And if you donate your time to charity, it's only 14 cents. In all cases, it's potentially the same car with that same gas.

There are companies which lump taxes into a rate so the rate they quote includes taxes. I do tend to like that method as you don't get surprised with a large difference between what you thought you were paying, and, what you actually pay.

I also like full disclosure up front. Companies that only show the service cost rather than the total do it to make the service appear less costly than it actually is and increase demand.

This is one case where I think companies should be obliged to state the actual cost based on zip code before one signs up. That usually happens with prepaid just before one finalizes the purchase but with postpaid it is not easy to get that information in advance even for just the standard plan.

As to the variable deduction rates for different purposes, there certainly is no obvious logic. Even the highest of them does not fully cover the actual cost in many cases if one compares with the Edmunds TCO tool or something similar.

I've had some companies, when asked for a total rate, say they can't provide an estimate, which of course is not true. If they can bill me, they can certainly find a way to estimate what that bill would be. I usually go elsewhere in those cases, unless there is no suitable elsewhere. This happened with a local internet provider. How they they possibly believably state they cannot provide me a total!?