This Car Might Approach the Speed of Light

At least the driver of this Tesla roadster launched into space today won't get hungry. If aliens out there should encounter this roadster scooting by, even they might get a hoot out of it, or they might just consider it more space junk.

"The rocket carried a playful payload: Mr. Musk’s red Roadster, an electric sports car built by his other company, Tesla. Strapped inside the car is a mannequin wearing one of SpaceX’s spacesuits. They are expected to orbit the sun for hundreds of millions of years."

If I remember my high school physics, correctly, any object that has mass and that travels at the speed of light will have a gravitational pull so great that it would implode the universe. (Due to approaching infinite mass as it approaches the speed of light.)

Elon Musk must be a Douglas Adams fan !!

I didn't do well in high school physics, but I believe that if through some quirk of physics this car should implode this universe, we will still have the other universes to go to.

Thanks for mentioning that--I did not see that the "Don't Panic"indicator was an allusion to Doug Adams.

"Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion"

"THE GREATEST PUBLICITY STUNT OF OUR TIME"
Who is in charge of advertising space in space? I mean, can anyone send something into space and get free advertising for gazillions of years? This may ignite a new sort of space race funded by advertising firms. Before you know it, there will be Chevys, Jaguars, UPS Trucks, and who knows what orbiting around the Sun. And Mad Mike may one day get his steam powered rocket into space where he can promote the flat earth project.

I missed that reference too.

Thanks!

Dear Mr. Musk,

If you really just needed to get rid of one of your new cars, I wish you had consulted me before launching it out into space. That roadster would have looked a whole lot better in my garage!

Sincerely, Diedrich_Duo

Or maybe even better in your driveway, without the mannequin.

Watch it go by:

NASA is now tracking the Tesla.

I think some future Star Trek movie should incorporate the Tesla into the plot.

With a Tesla in space, we will peak the curiosity of alien space craft passing by and soon have first contact!