substitute calling app

I don't know enough about Google and its data collection practices to know if GV is collecting more data than any of the other Google tentacles, and similar to you, I haven't put forth much effort in order to become 100% incognito. As it is, it seems just about everyone is keeping an eye on one's activities and data, even one's neighbors. I do know I made out my data will and last testament at the behest of Google, so if I depart from the Google ecosystem for a certain period of time, figuratively or otherwise, my wife will inherit all of my Google data. So maybe she'll be able to sift through it and see what Google app had most of my private data.

"Not many of us like thinking about death -- especially our own. But making plans for what happens after you're gone is really important for the people you leave behind," wrote project manager Andreas Tuerk in an official blog post. "We hope that this new feature will enable you to plan your digital afterlife -- in a way that protects your privacy and security -- and make life easier for your loved ones after you're gone,"

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2165280/google-death--inactive-account-manager-helps-you-plan-digital-last-will-and-testament.html

Given that the goog monster likely has even more computing power than over 90% of all governments & other corpies - it also likely has the power to collect...any & every scrap of data however & whenever it desires to.

Yes, we use GV quite merrily - gmail too - but otherwise limit our exposures to the big G.
Having it follow us around via cellular when we've elected NOT to register those with it just seems one step farther than we'd like to go - UNLESS using another of their 'free' offerings becomes truly irresistable somehow.

So there is no other really good phone app substitute with no ads?