Remaining Credits in Sprint

The phone was not ported out of Boom mobile it was swapped out for another device. I ported from Sprint to the Boom Red plan.

@KentE has identified the problem and a solution in his post. See the reddit link.

Also, addressed on Sprint forum:
QueenK writes: "Hello everyone. I fixed the issue. The ownership code needs to be changed from PLBL to SPCS. A ticket needs to be submitted to correct this issue. Send me a PM with your phones IMEI and we can go from there."
https://community.sprint.com/t5/Problem-Solvers/Ineligible-BYOD-quot-Sorry-but-our-records-show-you-still-owe/m-p/1019671/highlight/true#M16939

That sounds like a FED flag. Ask to open a click it ticket to check the FED flag.

KentE, your timeline is correct. I PM'd LiterallyUnlimited back in September, That is where I first learned it was marked or flagged as a prepaid phone. LiterallyUnlimited is the one who first told me it needed a re-SKU. LiterallyUnlimited was very helpful but he told me only Sprint could fix the problem if it could be done.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

st3fx's link seems directly applicable, with the same error message, and a list of information the Sprint tech needed to make the database change. If you have it, I might add to that list the model # of the phone, and a copy of the original receipt ID'ing the phone as factory unlocked.

Sprint's database seems to be the cause of many similar issues, and they're usually a mess to get straightened out. It seems like it's very difficult to find a tech who knows what to do & will stick to it long enough to figure it out. I'm not a fan of complaining to the FCC about every little thing that comes up-- but in a situation like this, it's the solution of last resort, and should cause them to assign the task to a tech that does understand what to do. It seems that 112069 has done due diligence in trying multiple times to get this fixed via other routes.

(From the earlier link to LiterallyUnlimited's primer, I found it especially distressing that even checking a MEID on Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobiles website could re-SKU a phone in the database as not being Postpaid eligible. It does not seem unreasonable to me to hold Sprint's feet to the fire to be responsible for fixing their own database errors. )

Maybe Sprint can send a check for cost of phone. They should not be able to do this and worst waste the owners time to fix their mess

Your mysterious message has piqued my curiosity. I'm wondering where you found it and who sent it, if you are at liberty to reveal this info.

I get this message checking my new Moto G6 on Sprint...

Sorry, but our records show you still owe Sprint for this device. Sign in to find this device on your account.

OK-- I guess the "says to take this request offline" part was confusing me.

This is most common with the ownership flag (SPCS/PLBL) discrepancy.

Hm... Tiing and Tello checkers did not complain about any issue with the phone. So is the error message just a Sprint post-paid checker (I heard this referred to as the wholesale/retail side)?

Yeah, on both accounts. Ting and Tello won't complain about PLBL, because the phone needs to have its flag set to PLBL in order to be activated on those anyway. It only becomes an issue when you want to go back to Sprint postpaid, where the flag absolutely MUST be set to SPCS in order to get the go-ahead from Sprint.

I'm not on nth as much as I was this summer, but you're free to DM me the IMEI, and I'll reply there if I'm able to flip the ownership flag for you. If I'm not (and I don't take unsolicited requests, for those of you stumbling on this post later), I'll expand on why. Usually it's a SKU issue.

Thanks, just sent. Also, did a check just to make sure I still get the error message...

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/bring-your-own-phone.html?phone=byod

Sorry, but our records show you still owe Sprint for this device. Sign in to find this device on your account.

The SKU on your phone is MOTBY19256K1, which is good -- that means it's not a SKU issue. Looks like the ownership flag is PLBL, though. I've flipped that. Give Sprint like 20 minutes to sync here, and you should try it at the Sprint BYOD page again.

It's showing eligible now! Thanks a bunch!!! :slight_smile:

BTW, I can order the Sprint SIM card from Ting and use it to activate on Sprint Post-paid, right?

Yes. Ting CDMA SIMs are just rebranded Sprint SIMs, but they're interchangeable with all Sprint MVNOs.

Hm... I was in the process of buying the SIM card and saw that there's a promo of $25 service credit. Interesting... did not know about that...

Also, I ran the phone on the Ting BYOD checker and it did not complain... so does it not matter to Ting whether the phone has the S or P code?

TO LiterallyUnlimited: You are an OUTSTANDING HUMAN BEING!
I Hereby Nominate LiterallyUnlimited for Person of the Year on nth circle.
Thank You

From LiterallyUnlimited "The SKU on your phone is MOTBY19256K1, which is good -- that means it's not a SKU issue. Looks like the ownership flag is PLBL, though. I've flipped that. Give Sprint like 20 minutes to sync here, and you should try it at the Sprint BYOD page again."

From PEW" It's showing eligible now! Thanks a bunch!!! :slight_smile:

The promo credit is something we're trying -- normally you'd need a referral code to score $25 off. This one is just by default with some A/B testing of people who visit the site. If it's successful, we may roll it out completely, but not replace anyone's regular referral credit.

Yeah. It only really matters to Sprint for some reason. If you do decide to activate it, we automatically flip it back to PLBL for you, as it's required to be on PLBL to activate. Flipping it back to SPCS is trivial through Sprint's own API, and I'm wondering why they don't just build that into their own BYOD checker.

Our checker also does skim through T-Mobile's unpaid/lost/stolen list as well as Sprint's FED/lost/stolen list. If we get a hit on any of those, we'll deny it. That you didn't get any means you can safely assume it wasn't found on any of those. (Bonus: unlocked phones that are FED-ineligible can still be activated on GSM, just not using the IMEI. Just activate the SIM without an IMEI check and insert.)