Red Pocket buys FreedomPop

I think Red Pocket will be more upfront about changes/charges-- if for no other reason than they need to protect the Red Pocket reputation.

I am expecting changes, more of the carrot-and-stick approach. I expect it will be harder to put free plans "on the shelf" without significant use, possibly reduced allotments, perhaps limitations on multiple SIMs, subscription time limitations, etc. It doesn't make sense to me that RP will increase Customer Service, possibly add cellular voice, and allow FreedomPop free plans to cannibalize Red Pocket's existing paid plans.
Seems like the trick for the FreedomPop brand is to stay far enough below the 100/100/500 yearly RP paid plan, so that FP can be positioned as a starter plan.

I would be surprised if @RedPocket CS would be able to honor this, but I hope I can speak for everyone on this suggestion. If RedPocket can somehow manage to have "data-only plans" starting at 1GB/mo at the rate of FreedomPop annual plans or close to it, many of us would be grateful. For example the people who use dual-sim phones like myself. I know for instance people who are on those annual plans made up most of the subscription base at FreedomPop (at least those who were also not made up of the free plans.)

I hope so, too-- I'm also using a FP SIM for data in a dual-SIM phone.
Just guessing, of course-- but I think the 1GB plan is close to sustainable at RP/FP.

It's really hard to guess at the percentage/type of paid plans at FreedomPop. I'd be inclined to agree with your thought, but we're both observing from within the limited group of cellphone 'enthusiasts' who are always shopping/comparing/analyzing different providers & plans. I've been surprised sometimes, even on Reddit or Howard Forums, when users will chime in about using other FreedomPop paid plans. The percentage may be higher than we guess for those outside of the annual SIM. FreedomPop's entire business model (outside of random charges and changes) is based on needed upgrades to the free plans, and some must have done so.

... I am sure FP considers accounts charged 1 cent a month is a 'paid' plan. I always wondered why they hold on so dearly to that 1 cent when it costs them more to process the charge. haha

One thing you can do is make sure all Customer Service reps are on the same page, meaning giving out same info. Talking to different reps, several times I've gotten different info. When it was regarding CellNuvo transition it was bit more understandable but not when inquiring about RedPocket itself.

Second thing, it would be GREAT to be able to view, via our online account, logs of calls/SMS/data. I inquired about data use being really high 1 month & C/S had to send me spreadsheet of that info. It worked ok but I prefer to keep an eye on it myself periodically. Having to contact C/S to obtain & view via spreadsheet is PITA.

Hoping you have some really special deals for FP users to entice me off my totally free (for now) plan.

Thanks!

When is the switch over? July 1st?

Good question on the transition date. I'd love to know that. I have a 5gb annual plan expiring in August. I stupidly gave them a credit card number and want to be sure that I'll be able to cancel the line without the next charge.

It seems Best buy is still selling the annual plans on their site. They are on sale if you are up for a bit of a gamble: $120 for the 5gb annual plan, $40 for the 1gb plan.

I dowgraded the cdma account to free plan.for the new account billing cycle today I found I still get 750+50mb data. No charge which is good. And the 1cent charge is gone seems also.

I think this is typical of FreedomPop's dashboard-- they don't remove 'temporary' boosts in allotments during the current billing cycle. I've seen a few reports of that temporary increase not being honored, even though it shows-- so I've always chosen to stick to my standard data allotment.

We're into July and no word of plans from Ting nor Red Pocket.

Yep... I did take down my Sprint phone with them to avoid drama.

Ting migration starting.

Your device is in the process of being migrated to a fully native experience with the same plan you have today. You will be able to use the native messaging app for text messages with the same number for better experience.

Once the migration is completed, you may lose cellular connections temporarily. If so, please make sure you perform profile update by dialing this number based on your device:

• For Android device: ##72786#
  • For iOS device (iPhone): ##873283##
  • For Google phones (Nexus/Pixel): ##72786##

I received that email on a few sprint-based accounts as well, but not all of them yet.

Any new pricing information from RP or Ting for FP customers?

https://ting.com/mobile/freedompop

"On Ting Mobile, you can choose from a couple of exclusive offers: $20 for 20GB for unlimited talk, text and 20GB of LTE data or $6 for unlimited talk and text + $4 per GB of LTE data. $20 for 20GB also comes with the first month free, you only pay taxes and government / regulatory fees."

"Our unprecedented $20 for 20GB and $6+ $4 per GB offers are guaranteed through 2019. In 2020, you’ll automatically be moved over to Ting’s great pay for what you use rates."

Funny thing is that I received that for a FreedomPop line that I cancelled (the account shows no active device).

Thanks for the link. Did you get this via email? I've not received anything so wonder how they intend to notify people...or what the pending date of required action is...

So is it really a deal for freedompop users or for anybody. I will cancel and go to redpocket sprint when they have free plan. Ting is high priced mvno in the long run.

https://start.ting.com/20for20-whistleout/?utm_campaign=Whisleout&utm_source=search&utm_medium=cpc

Yes, it appears the $20 rate is duplicating one available to the general public (but not widely publicized).
The $6 +$4/GB seems exclusive.

Both are, in my opinion, excellent prices, with the lower tier matching Tello's price for a similar plan. (But presumably getting Ting's roaming in the package.) The catch is that the rate is only guaranteed through 2019. I've seen speculation recently that Ting may choose to extend the $20 plan, but doesn't want to commit to it until they see how it's working for them. I get this from Ting's viewpoint, but it's going to be a deal-killer for many.

Personally, for our usage, I'm not sure either plan is likely to entice us to remain at Ting, largely because even the lower tier plan would be duplicating similar plans we already have (without fear of what happens at the end of 2019).

I wonder how FreedomPop MiFi devices will fit into this?

My only FP Sprint devices are MiFi hotspots, and one still has 14GB of rollover data accumulated on it.

I wonder how those will be handled?