Qualcomm's New 888

disappointed it isn't good enough to be a 890 chip :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm...
Maybe I picked the wrong quote.:wink:
I was most interested in the advances made to 5G modem & band aggregation.
Significant jump in GPU performance also.
Seems a significant leap and not purely hype.

[quote]
[b][i]......"Specifically, the X60 is the first Qualcomm modem that can aggregate low-band FDD radio spectrum with mid-band TDD, which is exactly the combination that T-Mobile needs to be able to leverage the combination of its 600 MHz low-band 5G with its 2.5 GHz mid-band 5G. In real-world tests, that combination has been able to deliver nearly mmWave-type speeds (over 900 Mbps) but with the significantly broader-coverage of sub-6 5G. Phones based on the 888 will be the first Snapdragon-powered phones that can take advantage of this capability as T-Mobile (NASDAQ:TMUS) continues to roll out this type of combined service across its network.

The X60 also has the ability to aggregate sub-6 signals with mmWave ones, which could prove to be important for both Verizon (NYSE:VZ) and AT&T (NYSE:T), as they build out their respective networks using the spectrum assets they own. The bottom line is that the X60 is the first modem to really deliver all the critical capabilities that carriers need to build out faster and more robust 5G networks..."

Yes it will certainly be interesting. Several people have said the latest iphones have a much improved modem. And this should be even better.

4 years of updates promised for 888 chip phones.

https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/phones-devices/3615-now-4-years-of-updates-for-most-new-android-phones

One of the first 888 phones. Maybe in a year or two the street value will allow $300-$400 purchase.

Agreed, if the price drops to $300/$400 with 2 or 3 years support remaining, it'll be an attractive deal, especially for a high-end phone like the galaxy s21. We'll see.