Promo from Virgin Mobile

No just the confirmation screen saying I will receive an email when it ships. I did it twice to be sure!

Google Voice numbers are non-cellular numbers.

jtsr71, phone numbers assigned to both versions of the FreedomPop GSM SIMs were accepted on the pre-qualification for the Sprint promo: the LTE SIM & the Global SIM. I did not complete either activation by porting those numbers, but have not seen any instances of the pre-qualification succeeding, and being denied during activation.
I don't have an iPhone to test on the Virgin promo, but anticipate that the same rules will apply.

Sprint have been lenient as far as ports are concerned for their 1 year free. Probably the same with virgin. The sprint deal was supposed to be porting from postpaid but many are porting from prepaid mvnos, google voice, freedompop etc.

At the end of the day I think sprint are focusing on boosting subscriber numbers. Perhaps to strengthen their position in any future merger talks.

The virgin promo allowed both a freedompop att lte sim port in and a tello one during he first stage. I will have to see when the sim arrives if activation runs smoothly.

True enough, but it only seems to matter how they're designated in the backbone system, and the GV numbers seem to be designated as cellular. (Ditto for FreedomPop.)

The surprising one for me here is Tello. I thought Sprit-network lines were excluded.

It doesn't state it has to be one of the other 3 carriers in the terms like the sprint promo did. I'll probably just use my fp number to be sure though.

You're correct in pointing out that the target customer could be different. The Sprint promo only wanted to poach customers of other carriers, while the Virgin promo may be willing to lure iPhone users from anywhere, in order to kickstart an iPhone-only provider.

I haven't paid much attention to the fine print of the Virgin promo, as there are 2 big hurdles for me: having to acquire an iPhone, and having to use an iPhone. The Sprint promo only presented the "acquisition" hurdle for me.

According to Rick Broida taxes and fees apply monthly.

As with Sprint's deal, the $1 plan isn't really just $1: You'll be on the hook for taxes and fees each month. Granted, these won't amount to more than a few dollars, meaning you still come out way ahead compared with a traditional plan

On the Sprint promo, thre are included fees and tax only on the $5 credited from the autopay discount. For me, about $3.21/month, although it varies by locality.

And as always, it will be interesting to see what those taxes and fees will be, and how they differ by state, county, city, locality, 9 digit zip.

On the face of it, getting this deal is a no brainer. But I'm still not absolutely sure I'll switch when the sim comes.

The two downsides I see is that after a year, the kids will have to go back to freedompop, so that will be quite an adjustment after an unlimited data plan. And also that unlimited data means the kids will more likely stay up at night after the home wi-fi parental control kicks in.

So even though this Virgin deal is a bargain, at the end of the day, compared to freedompop, I'll actually be paying more for more headache!

There doesn't seem to be any of the sprint postpaid fees added like the $1.99 admin fee so I suspect it would be cheaper.

I'm still not sure as well. They always make things more complicated than they need to be. I didn't even get an email confirmation of my sim order. It gives me a greater appreciation for MVNOs like Tello and Twigby that are very easy to use. Dealing with the cellnuvo stuff has taken up enough of my time this week.

Your thought is the same as mine in advising against this type of plan for my teenage godson. His current line is costing more than the Sprint/Virgin promos, but still probably a better "bargain" when all the (non-monetary, possible) costs are considered.

You know the old saying--if it's free, you cannot afford it!:frowning:

I was never tempted by Cellnuvo. It never looked like it was worth the time, effort or risk.

Yes I can understand that. When they launch phones for silver it will be well worth it for me. Otherwise there are many inexpensive and decent plans available these days that makes "free with effort" less desirable.

My sim has been shipped. Will get it early next week.

I also have a just activated Lycamobile number with zero balance ready to port to Virgin. The sim cost me one thankyou point on Amazon a year or two back.

Lyca customer service asked me lots of security questions about recharge amounts and numbers called and why I was porting, but quickly gave me the account number when I gave them the answers.

Yes mine have shipped too.

I ordered one on Friday and never received the confirmation email or any acknowledgement of the order.

Today I tried again on the theory that if the order were in the system it would reject a new request. Instead it accepted it and again no acknowledgement of the order was received.

On the community website there are posts by others who have run into similar problems.