Phone Number Restored directly with Sprint

Probably the same reason as when people leave a job they don't tell prospective employers their previous boss was a jerk, or when businesses don't badmouth their workers that quit or were fired.

Yes, we've seen this before. Sprint can, and frequently will, fish a number back out of the pool IF the customer is signing up with Sprint directly, as the OP did. It does not necessarily indicate that most MVNOs can get the same results by asking Sprint to do the same thing. Apparently, Sprint feels that a retail customer is more valuable than the customer of an MVNO.

If the MVNO has especially good, and close, relationship with Sprint, they may be able to get this done, too. I believe we've seen reports that Ting has done this successfully. Again, it's not necessarily an indication that a small MVNO, with no direct interface to Sprint, will be able to do so.
(As an example: Red Pocket can't even enable a number swap on a Sprint line.)

The chances of Sprint doing this are also far higher if the MIA number resides in Sprint's pool If it's in AT&T or VZW pool, then an individual might have better luck offering to sign up with AT&T, etc.

Just curious. Would you know the law that prohibits carriers/mnvo from taking your phone number away.

Yes when I called sprint to get one of my phones unlocked. They treat you like a second class citizen being on a mnvo

To be honest I also got treated the same way when nextel was taken over by sprint.

In some shape or form :silly: Nice catch all. The some shape or form is important you can't just gloss over it. It seems almost certain they are defunct, dead, gone, out of business, dead in the water.... So dead they are as dead as ringplus. But then again ringplus is still in operation (in some shape or form!!) Probably the phone call was answered by Mobile Matterz - the related company that is still around.

There are lots of reasons that are plausible... For example,

1. Sprint is better able to pull numbers from the pool when the customer is coming to sprint
  2. Sprint has more power over the remaining Mobile Matterz group but won't help Cellnuvo.
  3. The Mobile Matterz group is annoyed with Cellnuvo for moving to redpocket and is being difficult.
  4. Mobile Matterz /PC Management are incompetent and lost most of the numbers and this is a one off recovery.
    and yes 5. Cellnuvo could be to blame.

I don't think there is any "heat" on Tom/CellNuvo to identify the defunct company, other than in this tiny little corner of the internet, by probably fewer than 6 individuals. Everyone else seems to be willing to accept the information given at face value, and worry about whether or not fully-working service is restored, instead.
There are many reasons why it might not be possible to officially state the name. It would mean nothing to anyone outside of this little corner of the internet, anyway, and only then if we wanted to do additional research. . Were any of us previously aware of Mobile Matterz, PC Management, or Limitless Mobile?

I chose to work with Sprint as based on freecarrierlookup.com, it was still showing my number as a Sprint number even though my number was provided by Verizon Wireless years ago. In addition, the error codes I would get when trying to call /text my number were Sprint error codes based on my google searches. Also my device was showing as active on the Ting BYOD checker, despite not working since mid-August (I was never assigned a temp number). In order for me to port it directly to Sprint, Sprint told me there was a port request into RedPocket from August (I assume setup by CellNuvo, as I didn't set it up), that I had to cancel in order for my port to go through. After contacting RedPocket to get the port cancelled, I then contacted Sprint, who was eventually able to get ahold of someone at PC Management to release my number. As soon as this port went through, my device, which was previously shown as active on Ting BYOD device checker became freed up as well. Hope this helps anyone else that may have lost an important number. I will provide an update tomorrow on if I'm able to retrieve another number via this process. I have already contacted RedPocket support to see if there was an active port request (there was) and cancel it (they did per my request) on the second number.

I wonder why the port requests to redpocket aren't going through.

$$$$$---Just speculating.

I was told it is an issue on redpocket's side.

We either believe that or we do not believe support and it is money issues

Just an update, I was able to recover a 2nd number that CN had also indicated had been lost. For anyone who is attempting this, you will likely need to have the port request escalated within Sprint. I had to do this for both lines, but was eventually able to get both number restored. When you contact Sprint, ask for the porting department, they were the only ones who were able to help me out. The tally for me is 3 of my 4 lines with CellNuvo have been recovered - 2 by me porting to Sprint, 1 recovered by Cellnuvo, and 1 not recovered and just got a new local number (I didn't need this number recovered).

Thanks for the update. Glad you managed to recover them!

Wow 3 out of 4 Cellnuvo could not recover. What was the reason given?

very unacceptable

I got 2 out of 2 recovered.

By going directly through Sprint?

"I was one of the lucky few to receive an email from CellNuvo last week stating they could not restore my original number. Upon getting that email, I worked with my local sprint store and I am happy to report my number has been restored. To be clear, I did port my number to Sprint, but my plan is to work with the local sprint store and see if I can somehow get on the 1 year free plan (they told me they could...YMMV) or port out to another company. You have 14 days to cancel your service with sprint to get your money back. Note, Sprint indicated PC Management is the back end company that CellNuvo was working with and they are the ones who ultimately had to release my number. Note, contact Sprint between 8 - 4 CST to increase you chances of Sprint being able to get ahold of someone at PC Management to release your number. I have a second number to try this approach out, but wanted to share my success with at least one line."
https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/cellnuvo/828-phone-number-restored-directly-with-sprint?limitstart=0

Isamorph, Thank you for sending that. I did see that post last night when I came back to this board to catch up on the last two weeks worth of CellNUVO dramas.

I was asking those two previous posters if they went through Sprit or if CellNUVO restored their numbers. I have been writing support about restoring the numbers since the eclipse. The only replies I have gotten are to ask for more info which I immediately supplied then support went silent.

Almost all of the restored numbers have been restored by CellNuvo, and I'm pretty certain that the 2 members you've specifically referenced had numbers restored by CellNuvo.
The report Isamorph linked to may be the only user who has reported reclaiming an original number via another route. It's been suggested as a possible route since the early days of the temporary numbers. It's possible that others have used a similar method, but not reported it here, or that I've missed a different report.

by cellnuvo for me