Metro - Verified that you get cheap unlocked Android phone if you are patient

It's well publicized on various Reddit and SD threads that with Metro-by-T-Mobile, a lot of users pay only for the first month of new service with free (or cheap phone). Immediately after phone/service purchase, the phone gets put in a drawer for 6 months. Then, even if you don't pay for service for months 2-6, when you take the phone out of the drawer on day 181, you can unlock the phone using the unlock app and use the phone on another carrier (or flip it).

I just tried that with a Moto G Stylus that I bought on Aug. 11. I managed to unlock it this morning My cost was $25 for the service, with no activation fee. It's not clear whether that plan is still offered. I also had to port in an inactive Visible line and trade in good working condition iPhone 3G valued at $0.

The one big drawback is that Metro resellers are reputedly very aggressive and deceitful in pushing extra charges, such as insurance plans, activation fees, and state/local taxes. You can usually, but not always, avoid those charges by going to a corporate store, which are few and far between and usually located only in cities. I got my G Stylus at a corporate store within a mile of my house, although it's in a shopping mall that's across from a housing project.

Waited a full year for my Tracfone IPhone to unlock, wish I knew about Metro back then! Really enjoy your posts Bingyee, I need to learn how to take advantage of these deals, I need to upgrade wife’s iPhone without breaking the bank!

There are around 20 Metro stores in my metro area, and not a single corporate store.

How do you check/determine whether a Metro store is corporate or not?

https://www.metrobyt-mobile.com/storelocator
The store locator differentiates.

I have generally been discouraged with using Metro-by-T-Mobile much mainly due to the fact that their best phone deals usually require a port-in. Unfortunately, bringing over a number required in-store activation, and I generally have not wanted to deal with having to deal with unscrupulous dealers adding on services that you don't want.

However, the days of being discouraged may be at an end. It seems that Metro has finally built it into their web portal to finally allow for port-ins via online sales. I went through most of the steps for an iPhone 12 ($99 + tax) + $65 plan and I think it would have gone through.

If online sales do work, that is very important because this becomes a cheap way to obtain older iPhones at deep discounts and getting them unlocked eventually after 6 months.

I see a lot of online porting tales of woe on an SD Metro thread. Some could be user error I suppose.
Given it's Metro whose website has always been a glitchy mess for me for purchasing, no surprise, doubt they'll straighten it out much if at all.

Got a moto g stylus 5g 2023 & a few Samsung A15 for "free" w/$40 plan purchase required in earlier deals from Metro before the current one requiring # port in. I guess their iPhone deals always require a port-in? Dealers must be hating this change to online porting.

Traded 2 A15 to Spectrum for $903 ($103 phone value + $800 "free phone w/trade-in" promo) for moto razr+. Pays for phone (inc. the A15) & 4 months service on Spectrum (2 "unlimited" lines for $30/mo. for 1st year promo). Phone unlocks after 60 days. A little profit or $0 out of pocket if you go the 4 months.

Current iPhone 12 TIV at Apple seems low?
$220 trade for new phone / $205 for GC.
apple(dot)com/shop/trade-in
I don't really follow phone values, especially iPhones since I don't like them as much. Got a few new SE3 last year for ~$85 (inc. a month service) to try again since my last one was a 4s. After a mo. use I really still prefer most Android phones for most any smartphone task. Happy to see that new pixel & galaxy devices are getting longer support finally putting them on a more even footing w/Apple in that respect. 7-8 years for flagships, even the A15 has promised 4-5 years. Moto needs to up their update game.
iPhone 12 will continue to get updates for?? 3 years?
Based on your posts here I think you do follow the market and do some pretty cool arbitrage/deals/working the angles.

Will be curious to hear your experience / impressions of Metro online purchase & port in process.
Always enjoy reading about the deals you manage to work.