Looking for a smartphone with long battery life (Umidigi A3S?)

I'm looking for a smartphone to give to a relative in Europe. The primary usage would be installing and using apps like whatsapp, skype or viber. Do you know any models whose battery gives the phone long standup and long talking times?

I saw the Umidigi A3S that Chelle posted on the 'Deals' thread has a 3,950mAh battery. Online specs mention an 'up to 310 Hours" standby time and 'Up to 9 Hours' talk time. That's pretty good, right? Does the non-removabiity concern you? Should I stop looking and order that?

Moto G 8 Power

"5000 MAH BATTERY WITH TURBOPOWER CHARGING - The 5000 mAh battery lasts multiple days on a charge, 188 hours of audio and 21 hours of video streaming, 37 days of standby time."

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Power-Unlocked-International-Camera/dp/B087CBMKSC/ref

I screwed up and I'm so sorry for that. My bad. I didn't mention I'm looking for something around $50 or a bit more. Certainly nothing in the triple digits!

Sorry for making you look and not giving you clarity about what I'm looking for Isamorph.

I think you'll have to consider available bands, too. It might make a difference where in Europe your friend is.

If it has the right bands for (wherever), the Umidigi would be a hard price to match for a new unlocked device. The dual-SIM capability is also frequently a good thing to have for Europeans who cross borders (and carriers) with some regularity.

Non-removable batteries probably concern everyone here. If all else is equal, I'd pick removable. But when shopping on a budget, or a specific set of goals, all else is rarely equal. I have a couple of phones that are non-removable. And, I haven't bought a replacement battery for any of our phones since feature-phone days, although a couple could probably benefit from one. By the time they need a new battery, it's frequently time to need an update to the operating system, etc.

The Umidigi A3S is tough to beat for the price. It's a global model that supports enough bands to satisfy most customers.

Nonremovable batteries can still be replaced. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

I'm always in search of feature rich unlocked global phones for cheap prices and I'm not aware of anything that beats the Umidigi A3S at that price.

England. Network coverage in United Kingdom - 2G/3G/4G mobile networks lists the following:

2G capabilities GSM 900, GSM 1800
3G capabilities UMTS 900, UMTS 2100
4G capabilities LTE 800, LTE 1800, LTE 2600

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000388219112.html says about the A3S:

Network:
2G: GSM B2 /3 /5 /8
3G: WCDMA B1 /2 /4 /5 /6 /8 /19
4G: FDD: B1 /2 /3 /4 /5 /6 /7 /8 /12 /13 /17 /18 /19 /20 /26 /28
TDD: B38 /40 /41

How can one "translate" those two?

I think I got it.

have the bands of each frequency.

I tried to order the A3S from aliexpress. I have ordered from there before. After the last step a security screen comes up requesting scans of my ID and credit card. Yeah right!

I see the A3S on eBay from umidigi-us-official for $66.39: https://ebay.us/mwL2nj

This is the same thing, right?

I had the same thing happen to me on my GM Card (via Capital One). I decided to place a different order with my other Capital One card and the 2nd order went through without a glitch.

If the second one didn't go through I would have quit. I wanted to make sure the charge goes one of my Capital One branded cards so as to avoid any possibility of there being foreign transaction fees.

I've placed several orders with them and haven't had to provide any identification.

Yes it's the same. FWIW for a few $ more, $75, you can get the Umidigi A 3 pro with better specs(I have this phone). See below. Both phones are sold by Official Umidigi US.

The one you linked to is the A3, not the A3S. It's the earlier version-- very similar except later version of Android on the A3S. I don't know what other differences there are.
(EDIT: Differences>
A3 is Android 8.1. A3S is Android 10
A3S has later processor, higher res cameras, very slightly larger screen, 3950 mAh battery vs 3350 mAh on the A3.)

The A3S from the official Umidigi Ebay store is here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UMIDIGI-A3S-Android-10-Global-3950mAh-Dual-Rear-Camera-5-7-Quad-Core-Face-ID/174173952647

Speaking of UMIDIGI Phones, Liberty Wireless still has a one year plan that comes with a "Free" UMIDIGI phone, although one should call liberty-vortex, the seller, to be sure what model phone it is. It does have 4GB RAM + 32GB storage + 4150mAh battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Mo-5GB-Liberty-Wireless-Prepaid-Wireless-Phone-Plan-FREE-6-Smartphone/124044850945?hash=item1ce1a63701:g:aiYAAOSwFbdeUE~6

Looks like the a5 pro

It sure does, which is a good deal.

I tried placing a 2nd order with my 2nd no foreign transaction fees card and that failed in the same way:

I have more credit cards but no more 'no foreign transaction fees' cards. Has anyone ordered something from China on AliExpress with a credit card that doesn't have the 'no foreign transaction fees' feature? Were you charged a foreign transaction fee? How much?

Oh yes. Thank you, Kent. I think, since the AE sale is until Sunday, I'll see if I can order the A3S there, if it doesn't sell out first! If that doesn't work, I'll order it on eBay.

Specs show a 250 hour standby time. The 3950mAh A3S shows a 310 hour standby time. Does that make sense? Is it the OS or the CPU?

Yes.

No, I wasn't.

The prices were in U.S. dollars and the amount charged to my credit card was the same amount as my order.

Hmmm, I can try opening a 2nd account. Thanks Chelle.