Instant Pot Brown Rice

Brown rice goes with so many things, and the Instant Pot does a great job of making it tender enough for even white rice eaters to enjoy.

I like to always have brown rice cooked and ready to go, in a zip lock in the refrigerator. That way I only have to heat it up to accompany whatever I decide to cook in the Instant Pot.

I like to make enough for 2 to 3 meals.

The best time to start a batch is while you're eating dinner and your Instant Pot is already in need of being washed. Once you remove the evening meal from the Instant Pot you should pour the stock or liquid into a bowl for immediate use.

I measure with a coffee cup or whatever is handy. I dump two coffee cups of brown rice into the Instant Pot and then 2-1/2 coffee cups (or very sightly more) of liquid. (Preferably the flavored liquid from dinner.)

Pressure cook for 20 minutes, then let depressurize for at least 10 minutes so it has time to get nice and tender.

Let cool and store in the refrigerator.

The Instant Pot will also be cleaner because all the flavorful fond will become part of the batch of rice.

If your leftover stock isn't particularly flavorful you can season the rice before you cook it. I use lots of garlic powder, onion powder, dried minced onions, black pepper and a little cayenne pepper.

Instant Pot brown rice is also great for veggie burgers.

While I'm a committed carnivore I have quite a few vegetarian friends and have to make meatless meals, sometimes.

Fortunately, most of my vegetarian friends are ovo-lacto, so butter and eggs are okay to use.

I cook up brown rice, in advance, and black beans or red beans, as well. I lightly mash the beans, combine with brown rice and some Italian breadcrumbs, as well as a few eggs (to bind it together), and whatever else sounds good (like garlic, basil and chopped mushrooms).

Then I patty it all up and fry in olive oil.

Everyone always has seconds. :slight_smile:

Sometimes I use lentils instead of beans. As long as there's a protein it's all good.

Have you tried Beyond Meat?

They all over the news. Plant based burgers and other items

Supposed to taste like real burger.

Although closer then a veggie burger. Still not 100% but put on toppings and it is really close

I'd rather eat a real burger from a genuine farting cow. :slight_smile:

Understood,. But your friends might like it