How to get Tello Unlimited everything (virtually) for ONLY 6 Bucks a month

Here is a tip worth thinking about. Get Tello and sign up for a plan that's more than you normally use a month. Renew 1 day early each month so your min and data roll over to the next month. Do this for apx. 3 months to accumulate a rather large amount of min and data. Then switch to the 6 dollar plan (100 min and 500mg data) If you are a lite to moderate user like I am, you will now have buckets of min and data that far exceed you monthly usage. Now you can use what you need to (this is what I call virtually unlimited. If you do what you need, and never run out, then it is virtually unlimited) I did this over a year ago and it has worked great for me. Essentially build up buckets by using rollover tip for about 3 months, the switch to a low plan and talk and text and data what you need without having to worry about running out) It may not be for everyone but 6 bucks (plus tax) a month CAN'T be beat!

Interesting tip Frasier11 - thanks for sharing it.
If they were having some sort of super switchover deal that would be even more attractive.

In our area with Verizon becoming GSM it has it has mostly made other carrier choices irrelevant (like AT&T for example...).

There are also other blurry things lately - like being able to tell which MVNO is using which actual carrier(s) anymore - especially after VZ snarfed up Movil/TF.

I don't even remember what Tello was using when last I looked at their offers...which was a while ago.

1 Like

Tello is using T-Mobile (Sprint and T-mobile combined) it's not as good as Verizon but in my area it works for me.

1 Like

Great idea. If you went with the 10 GB / 100 min at $21 per month plan for the 1st three months, your average $ / GB would be $2.10 / GB. Then, beginning in the 4th month, you pay $6 / month for 500 MB / 100 min. This means your $ / GB per month average will slowly creep towards $12 / GB, but that takes a very long time.

E.g.,based on my calculation, after month 24 (i.e., after 3 months at 10 GB, and 21 months at 500 MB), your average $ / GB per month for the 24 months duration is around $4.66 / GB per month. Not bad.

There is at least one big risk. Every "month" or, more precisely, at around every 29 (or fewer) days, you must remember to renew manually. Otherwise, all savings is lost.

2 Likes

Would this method work if the original plan includes unlimited minutes?

No, because the "unlimited mins" will not "roll over".

Tello will probably close this "loophole" now that it has been posted.

1 Like

I hope not, but you never know..... :neutral_face:

I doubt it...while I'm very appreciative of this forum being restored, it seems like it lost so much traction. There are very few posters on here. If this was the original blog, it might have been seen by Tello.

1 Like

It's not a loophole. It's policy.

Tello Mobile | Frequently Asked Questions | Help Center :
Will unused service carry over to the next month?
Unused service WILL roll over ONLY if you manually renew or change your plan at least 24 hours before the end of your current billing cycle and ONLY if the new plan contains all the services that you previously had.

1 Like

This topic thread brings to mind a Seinfeld TV episode. .
,/clip/76 the economics of seinfeld

1 Like

So, my family uses the manual Tello "rollover" plan/process, and once in a while, we forget and lose a lot of the rollover we've built up.

I would like to propose to Tello that they update their policy to provide us an option where Tello automatically renews 24 hours before every billing cycle and automatically rolls over any unused buckets. Thoughts?

Good luck?
Who owns them now?
It would be a very nice, pro consumer move if they did that, skeptical, but never hurts to ask.
Could a script be written to do it automagically (paging scripninja)?

For my job, something like that might be a kind of thing I would try to script out, but the tool I would probably use for it in that case isn't cheap. Granted, there are other tools that are much cheaper.

The main reasons I don't currently try to do something similar for my own FreedomPop account are

1. (bear in mind I don't know whether this applies to Tello) That kind of thing is trickier to do if it has to be every N days instead of every month on the same day
  2. Screen scraping is a lot harder to work with than an API
  3. I'd probably need to study up on systemd timers to do it in a way that would be certain to kick off while my computer was active, instead of being skipped because it was suspended at the time

What I have done instead for some things is just set myself a reminder, but the problem with that is that if the reminder goes off when I'm not at my computer or when I'm in the middle of doing something else...I just mute it and forget anyway.

I hadn't thought of scripting that. I have experience with AutoHotKey, but it will involve screenscraping, and running in Windows user mode!