How do NthCircle members cook their Thanksgiving Day Turkey?

Our best results so far have been by cooking the turkey upside down in an oven bag @ 325 degree temp (though this can be a bit tricky).

So far this has been the best result for us , but we're always looking for better and easier ways.

Why You Should Cook Your Thanksgiving Turkey Upside Down.

I'll bet our friend @Chelle adds to this thread soon -- she's our Nth Circle turkey cooking expert! :grinning:

1 Like

Our best results so far have been by cooking the turkey upside down in an oven bag @ 325 degree temp (though this can be a bit tricky).

We use the bag with breast side up, it still stays moist in the bag and no need to flip it to get it golden.
Deep fried is good but it is a hassle to go in and out of the house, I would not deep fry a turkey in my home due to risk of spill, splatter or fire.

1 Like

So much bones & cartilage ??
Meh.

We only use the pre-packaged turkey breasts, preferably when on sale.

Combine with a $-tree meat cooking bag, upside-down, water added in a vessel which also has some water added below it.

The cooking bag is NOT slit open (how silly) but instead a sort of vent is made at the top when closing it via inserted pinky finger as a measure.

In our big, very powerful microwave cooking to a lovely, moist texture takes no more than 4-5 minutes per pound, followed by maybe 10 minutes standing on the counter to cool.
(Now, if I can learn how to get chicken breast meat to stay moist & soft similarly I'd be delighted !!)

1 Like

I cook the turkey right side up in a roasting bag, overnight, at 275°F.

When it's done I put a large spoon in the cavity and lift the entire breast out of the turkey. I then turn the breast upside down and remove the ribcage and use an electric knife to slice the now-boneless breast (with the skin still on it.

I carefully lay the breast slices on a platter and spoon some drippings over them before covering with foil.

I scoop out the stuffing and place in a covered serving dish to keep it hot.

I then disassemble the rest of the turkey by hand, which is almost effortless, and place the dark meat on another platter. They both then go to the table.

The carcass goes directly into my pressure cooker to make stock for the next day. After an hour I depressurize, let cool, strain, and refrigerate overnight. The fat will rise to the top where I remove it and save it for future cooking adventures.

I then add veggies to the broth and let it simmer before adding egg noodles for lunch the next day.

That's it!

3 Likes

Thanks 112059, One, and Chelle for taking the time to share your cooking methods.

Happy Thanksgiving!

BTW, lots of great deals for turkeys this year, e.g.:

3 Likes