Google Voice isnt "One size fits all"

Most of us know how amazing google voice can be. With a stable internet connection (wifi/cellular), we can call/text/mms as much as we want for FREE

As a friendly reminder, google voice isnt for everyone. There are major drawbacks to using the service.

1. Natively, you can not dial 911, you must pay a separate service for that elsewhere.

2. Many companies do not accept google voice numbers as forms of verification. Various services I have found are
    a. Money Transfer Services (zelle , venmo , etc)
    b. 2FA (Two-Factor Authenticaion)
    c. Chat apps such as Line

The reason for this is because google voice, as well as others, are considered VOIP (voice over internet-protocol). Many companies and technologies don't see this form of tech as a reliable way of communication.

The takeaway? Make sure to have a "real" phone number on hand if/when you need these services.

Speaking from just my personal experience using GV for several years, I haven't experienced some of the limitations that were mentioned, which is not to say there aren't limitations. Frequently, I use my GV phones (Obi+Mobile) for two-factor authentication with banks, CC companies, and any manner of important calls, and have never had a problem. The fact that so many businesses use VoIP systems themselves and the fact that so many consumers now use VOIP phones in their homes provided with their bundled IP plans, one would think there are a number of those millions of people using VoIP who have a GV number and from whom we would have heard about GV VOIP problems. So I assume the many millions of people who are using VOIP phones with a regular number are able to partake of 2FA without much problem. I can't speak to how GV#s work with Chat apps or money transfer services since I have zero experience there. Good point about having a cell phone or other phone around for calling 911 during power outages, internet outages or emergencies.

-when ever I try to verify a credit card or something like that they never accept google voice or freedompop numbers

Interesting. So if you signed up for a CC with your GV number as your primary contact number, when a new CC with a new date is issued to you and you call to activate the new card, the CC company won't activate the new card. If so, what number do you use to activate the CC? Or are you saying you can't get a new CC if you give the CC company a GV# as your contact number? I've personally activated several new CC cards using a GV number that is listed as my contact number which used to be the required number that one had to call from in order to activate the new card. I have heard interesting stories about FP#s being viewed as alien beings, though.

When you apply for a CC online, sometimes it says you need to call them to finish the application
When you call them and get approved, they need your phone number to activate your card immediately, so you
can start using the card # online as soon as you hang up the phone
If they can't verify your phone number, you have to wait a few days for it to arrive in the mail
before you can activate it
Not a big deal unless you need to use it right away

To speculate: I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes when one applies online for a new CC, but I would think a thorough credit and identity-check would include associating the phone number supplied to one's credit history and the credit agencies that have your credit history and personal information. So if the number given is different than the one the credit agencies have on record and/or it's not firmly attached to one's credit history and personal info, such as one's physical and mailing addresses, other CCs, etc., then rejection for verification purposes may be likely. If the number given is solidly connected to one's identity, then who knows why it was rejected. I have had the same phone number for 36 years---about 20 years as a landline #, 10 years as a mobile #, and 6 years as a GV number---, and all of these years it been associated with the same address and personal identity features, which may explain why I've no problems with my GV# concerning 2FA and financial transactions. Given the vast millions of people in the US who use VOIP phones, I doubt rejection of a GV # is because it's a VOIP number, but who knows for sure.

Interesting take on the issue, Isamorph! Thanks for thinking about it beyond the usual "it doesn't work" scenario.

Personally, I've had a few times when my GV # was rejected for use, despite having the number for 15+ years, most of that as a traditional cellular #. The ones that comes easily to mind are Uber and my email provider.

I've also had companies not blink at it. It's never been tied intentionally to my credit history or personal identity, but I'd guess that's inevitable after 15+ years of use.

Some problems with GV numbers being rejected might arise from some simple settings in one's GV account. I vaguely remember something about making sure your GV phones or devices are listed as "Home" phones rather than "Mobile" phones in the legacy GV settings, which could make a difference, Also, perhaps if the setting "hide my GV # on outgoing calls" is on rather than off, it would show the carrier number when calling someone and cause confusion. I wonder if any of the millions with non-GV VOIP numbers but with VOIP phones and numbers have problems with phone number verification?

VOIP numbers like google voice and freedompop are free and easy to setup, so they aren't good proof of your identity

If you have an At&T plan and are paying a bill every month that is better proof

If you have a regular number for many years on a main carrier. Then move it to google voice. It becomes a gv number and most places won't let you use it for proof of identity.

Unfair but true