College campuses where you can take trails right up to the mountains

The doctoral committee just informed us that we don't have to be on campus when we are working on our dissertations, unless we have financial support in the form of teaching or research assistantships. Which means I could leave this expensive area and move to a cheaper town for 2 to 3 years! Since I have no financial support, when I start working on my dissertation, there is no reason why I shouldn't leave this expensive area and move to some inexpensive/low-cost-of-living college campus where I can take walking trails right up into the mountains. Does anyone know campuses with these criteria?
(1) low tuition so that if I need to take a few classes, I don't go completely bankrupt and my sister who is my dependent can also go to college for cheap.
(2) cheap apartment rentals given that rent forms the highest % of our expenses after health care expenses of my parents. I support my parents and my sister.
(3) you can take walking trails right up into the mountains. My family's passion is hiking the mountains, making art from things we harvest in the mountains and selling the art. It doesn't bring in much money but it does help pay bills.
(4) the weather during the summer is below 90 degrees (sister who also has health issues cannot tolerate heat).
Thank you in advance for any ideas.