Chelle, Has she been on new site?

Canning meat is also great for the homeowner acquired game too, with no license or permit to purchase it makes meat really cheap if you already own the land. Of course not all land has game on it.

1 Like

Wild hogs are pretty plentiful around here. You can quickly fill the freezer with one sow. And they're always in season!

1 Like

Chelle
I send you a pm. Pls take a look

1 Like

Somewhat related, I have been having some Apricot jam made by Crofters. A large jar is really cheap at Costco and whatever flavor I've had from them is maybe the best jam I have ever had.

It's organic, fair trade sugar and made in Canada. What is it about the US that you can get such high quality at such a good price from another country while I've never seen anything comparable in quality and value for money made in the US.

1 Like

Love the Morello Cherry. Although I've bought "Crofters" labeled I most often buy store or white label brands (Full Circle comes to mind ATM). I've found at least 3 different labeled "brands" of the same "Crofters" preserves product.

1 Like

I'll look out for Crofters in disguise but I suspect the Costco price is going to be hard to beat.

The flavor that is usually available at Costco is Berry Harvest which is superb.

I used to make and freeze gallons of home-made tomato sauce

1 Like

Jam is quite lovely. but I prefer marmalade with my toast and tea.

And of course, can there be any better marmalade than kumquat marmalade when prepared with exacting measures?

Maybe it's true that one learns something new every day since I never knew about kumquat marmalade before.

I occasionally get a hankering for Seville marmalade and I see that St Dalfour has a kumquat marmalade so I will seek it out next time if I remember.

Although, I had recently been doing a good job of cutting sugar intake ......

That "Crofters" stuff is definitely not jam. Labeled fruit spread for a reason, tons of fruit in the varieties I've tried.
Love a nice tart Seville orange marmalade (course shred please).
When we had a quince tree used to make stewed quince, made some finer/chopped that spread like a marmalade. Parents made a quince/ginger spread that was scrumptious, I've never been able to replicate.

I'm a mayhaw jelly girl. Nothing better!

1 Like

During my university years, whilst enjoying an extended holiday on the Continent, I found myself on a train from Paris to Limoges. An octogenarian sitting across from me generously shared his baguettes and homemade aioli with me. And after just one taste--J'étais au paradis!

So now in 2022 , pressed for time, I find myself purchasing pre-made aiola---c’est dommage.

This is the most acceptable version I have found to date:

1 Like