Bittersweet Wi-Fi 6

Well, Wi-Fi 6 will be a huge improvement, but who wants to purchase all new devices in order to use it. New router(s), phones, PCs, tvs and so on. Fortunately Wi-Fi 6 is backwards compatible.

"This is the biggest spectrum addition since the FCC cleared the way for Wi-Fi in 1989, so it’s a huge deal. The new spectrum basically quadruples the amount of space available for routers and other devices, so it will mean a lot more bandwidth and a lot less interference for any device that can take advantage of it."

Given that all such things use microwave radio - it'll be of interest to me to see if this new thing gets compared with the 'smartmeters' and/or 5G - both of which have many folks very concerned & are quite controversial.

Yes, we certainly don' t need any more brain irritants driving us more insane, if possible, than we already are. But I suspect the Russians are instilling fear in people so to slow 5G adoption in the West so Russia can catch up to its foes, for I think governments with their cyber war concerns are more in need of 5G capabilities than the lowly individual consumer. But what do I know, maybe 5G waves will destroy Covid-19.:unsure:

7 non-overlapping channels in wifi 6e? 5Ghz has 11 non-overlapping at 40mhz channel.

... a new piece to the puzzle!

It doesn't seem that WiFi 6 is a huge leap from WiFi 5 (802.11ac). The biggest benefit is supporting more connected devices per router rather than any notable leap in speed.

The jump from WiFi 6 to WiFi 6E will be a real game changer, though, with it quadrupling the amount of spectrum. That should permit an effective improvement in speed.

"As the Wi-Fi Alliance puts it, Wi-Fi 6E allows for “14 additional 80 MHz channels and 7 additional 160 MHz channels.”"

Wow, nice. But the problem may be that people would just default to 160MHz channels even though they do not need it. I did a scan in my house and everyone has their 5GHz on 80 MHz - and are on top of each other. I set mine on 20 MHz because that works just fine. Sigh...