Beast Mobile

Where I see room for optimism is less the five year part and more the fact that Freemo's paid plans do at least seem potentially sustainable.

Where I see less room for optimism is that based on my experience trying to sign up for their former "free experiment," their customer service (and website updates) make Tracfone look like a well-paid, well-informed personal concierge.

It's still borderline tempting to me, except I would not bet on them permitting the use of a different device; the A12, even in the unlikely event they shipped me the dual-SIM model, would be a downgrade in too many respects and an upgrade only in that if I'm reading the relevant articles correctly, it looks like it should be getting Android 13. But I'm already using better hardware (in most respects, at least, I think) and waiting for delivery of a device I'm mostly committed to, and not really interested in anything else after those that can't run GrapheneOS, which effectively limits me to Pixels.

And betting $250 on them lasting would be iffy anyway. And then there's the product page saying " Brand New Samsung A12 + 5 Years of Free* Service" but seeming to have neither a footnote to go with that asterisk nor any place I've found so far that lists the complete terms of the offer...

Aha, the FAQ page sheds more light on the matter. Sort of.

Do I have to use the Samsung A12 phone with this plan?

Yes. For now this plan is only compatible with the NUU X6 Plus phone purchased from Beast Mobile.

What happens if I take my sim card out and put it in another phone?

If the sim card is removed and put into another device, your service will be suspended immediately. Once you place the sim back into the NUU device you can call us to restore your service.

How is the service FREE?

Just like other corporations, we utilize the data you share with us when you use your phone. You will then be sent targeted advertising. However, unlike other BIG companies that SELL your data, we do not. That’s how we can provide you FREE cellphone service and compensate you further with rewards.

Will you have other phones available to buy with this service?

Yes. We will have a variety of smartphones that you can purchase to use with your service. Sign up here to stay tuned and be the first one to know when they are available.

Thanks for finding that, interesting typo (A13 in Q, Nuu in A) but that pretty much answers that issue.

If it is tied to a particular phone only, I'm out.

Might think about it if they offered free replacement with proof of loss or return of damaged, inoperable phone :wink: