AT&T $30 unlimited tablet plan

I have an unlocked AT&T GoPhone tablet that currently has a FP LTE SIM in it.

It's on Android 4.4 and works in hotspot mode with PdaNet+.

So that tablet plan would give me an unlimited hotspot for $30/month.

I actually thought of something similar for someone I know how is planning to get a new tablet. That person typically pays for wifi at hotels when traveling so this would be cheaper.

In glancing over the "Important Details" (did not read really carefully) I got the impression this plan may not be intended for use as a Hotspot and data speeds could be reduced after $22 GB.

Another thought I had is whether it might be used for voice also with Hangouts or something similar.

Do not know how AT&T works but I assume this will not work with a phone either at all or under the ToS.

Why spend $30 for a tablet plan when you can get a "connected car" plan for $20 per month & you can use up to 5 devices at a time. Purchase a ATT Mobley OBD2 device and use it in our vehicle or rig it to use in your house or on the go at hotels etc. You may be prioritized after 22Gig month, but so far I have not been.

2AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan: U.S. only. Consumer and Individual Responsibility Users only. Eligibility: Requires eligible vehicle, eligible aftermarket device and new or existing AT&T wireless account. Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot during periods of network congestion. Pricing: $20 per aftermarket device monthly plan charge (3 aftermarket devices on plan results in $60 monthly plan charge). Devices: Sold separately. Limits: 3 aftermarket devices per plan. Hotspot: Connects up to 5 Wi-Fi capable devices per vehicle hotspot.

What you say here is very interesting as it seems to suggest AT&T has not done its homework.

That makes me think there must be some other element in the equation.

The Mobley requires an "eligible" vehicle (whatever that means--I can only think it means one with the requisite port) but as you point out it actually can work without being powered by the vehicle. Does that mean it would be a violation of the ToS to power it in any other way than the vehicle port?

Of course, the Tablet plan involves either buying or a tablet or having one already so a true total cost comparison is hard to make if one is just looking for occasional use rather than year round and already has a tablet but would need to buy a Mobley.

Why do you think AT&T seems to be offering similar service at different prices? Is it because it feels there are different market segments and it can charge a higher price in one than the other or is it something else?

I recently helped a friend get signed up on the Mobley plan because she's moving to Alaska and will live in a motorhome.

I told her that she'd have to talk to three stupid people before she got to a smart person who actually knew what they were doing.

I told her that they'd tell her that there was no unlimited plan for $20.

I told her that they'd say she needed to have a phone on an AT&T plan and that the Mobley could only be an add-on, not a stand-alone..

I was right about everything except that it was seven stupid people instead of three and she gave up, after three.

After I pushed her to keep trying, she was eventually successful.

The thing I like about the tablet plan is that it's self serve. You can do it yourself, online. You don't have to convince employees that the plan exists.

I'm a cheapskate, but I don't think the Mobley plan is worth the trouble of signing up and of having to adapt the device for home use.

A tablet with hotspot mode is clean and easy.

The best part is that my Asus Memo Pad 7 LTE tablet has a mondo battery and can easily function as a hotspot for 10 hours without external power.