Another CA earthquake

Anyone feel that? It was bigger and longer. Scary. About 9pm

Looks like Ridgecrest, CA 7.1!

Yes much stronger and longer this time. Run under the table time

ok, looks like record for the year.

More aftershocks to follow

Wow, one of the record highs... fortunately, not in a highly populated location.

True but you can feel the severe shaking and it is causing damage. :frowning:

It's fortunate that the quakes occurred in an area of mostly single-story buildings populated by the approximately 30,000 unfortunate residents who live in Ridgecrest. What is also newsworthy it the fact that the Naval Air Weapons Station (NAWS) China Lake is also located there, which is a top secret military facility. I suspect that little news will be forthcoming about how the earthquake affected it due to the fact that national security protocol will dictate an absence of news about the facility. The facility also is home to some rare petroglyphs, which in order to see them one must jump through a few security hoops before being allowed entrance.

"China Lake is the United States Navy's largest single landholding, representing 85% of the Navy's land for weapons and armaments research, development, acquisition, testing and evaluation (RDAT&E) use and 38% of the Navy's land holdings worldwide. In total, its two ranges and main site cover more than 1,100,000 acres (4,500 km2), an area larger than the state of Rhode Island. As of 2010, at least 95% of that land has been left undeveloped. The roughly $3 billion infrastructure of the installation consists of 2,132 buildings and facilities, 329 miles (529 km) of paved roads, and 1,801 miles (2,898 km) of unpaved roads."

I happened to be there during the Yucca Valley 7.3( Lander's earthquake ) and Joshua Tree 7.1 ( Hector Mine earthquake ) historic quakes. I can't say it's nice to be in the historical record book. One baby died as a result of the earthquakes, being the sole fatality. The experience did bring home the fact that we live on an indifferent planet located in an indifferent abstraction we call the universe.

Wow!

Told you it is scary feels like world ends

I find the ways in which the power of earthquakes are calculated and the differences between the powers of say 6.0 and 7.0 earthquakes to be quite interesting. Of course, there are many factors determining how devastating an earthquake can be, especially the type of ground or earth under one's feet.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/calculator.php

Wow, wow!