4gCommunity

I'm still thoroughly enjoying mine. We use about 45-50 GB per month and haven't had any problems.

I was looking at the Franklin R850 for a friend. The increased activation cost wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me-- it's still a bargain.
I moved it to the back burner, though, because my reading indicates that it may not be possible to use USB (cable) tethering with the R850, despite some of the documentation indicating it's available.
Unusual circumstance for this user, but in a congested WiFi environment the reliability of a cabled connection was deemed important.

We're on the road, again, but I'll gladly test that when I get home on Wednesday. (Didn't take it with us, this time, since I had lots of alternatives.)

***I took a look at the Sprint R850 user manual and it says nothing about usb tethering, only wifi connections. That said, could one not use the IOGEAR GWU627 ($35 on Amazon) with good results, assuming it could be powered via usb from whatever device one is using? Or maybe this would not solve the congested wifi problem. https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-GWU627/dp/B004UAKCS6

The IOGEAR piece still requires the first step to be via WiFi. (The connection from the hotspot.) It provides a wired solution for equipment that isn't WiFi capable, but it doesn't avoid the need for an initial WiFi "jump".

I have the Franklin R850 hotspot and it initially shows data usage against your 30GB "limit".

Once you go over 30GB it initially shows that you have a negative percentage remaining and says things like 31.2 of 30GB used.

Everything continues to work fine, though.

Then they add another 30GB to your "limit" and it looks like this:

I like the concept of unlimited limits.

The nice thing about unlimited limits vs. limited limits is that the former is unlimited. The bad thing, though, is that both are limits. And if both limits are the same, then it's clear & logical that unlimited is the same as limited in telco parlance.

That made my brain hurt, @jamielih.

All I know is that it never seems to run out-- which is all I care about!

I hate to admit it, but your post exceeded my (full speed) limits of understanding. Now my brain is throttled for the rest of the month.

A likely unsatisfactory attempt at simplifying my above confused remark could be: "If unlimited limits == limited limits == 23 GB (as an example), then 'unlimited' = 'limited' according to telcos."

I'm still confused, but 4gCommunity is full speed, no throttling, no deprioritization.

In other words: unlimited=A
limits=B
limited=C
If AB=CB, and if CB=23GB, then AB=23GB, then A(unlimited)=C(limited)....Darn Telco logic---did I leave out a step?:slight_smile:

So I ordered the zte warp connect hot spot since that's the only one they offer now. I'll probably need a antenna to get a better signal. Anyone using a antenna with there hotspot ?

4gc community store is closed for now. I am concerned.

https://www.4gcommunity.org/community-store

Just checked the "contact" page and it still works. It might take them a couple of weeks to add the new "Sharing" page. But it is curious that, evidently, one cannot order the hotspot or service during the downtime.

There is a big blue banner saying they will be back in Sept.

I got mine yesterday, other than a very weak signal at my place it works good. Just need something that will boost the signal for me.

I do not know if the ZTE will support external antennae. If it does, the first thing to try is a passive antennae (not amplified) with higher gain (typically achieved by being longer, and/or being directional.) I don't have a lot of experience with antennae for cell phones, but do have plenty of experience with antennae for radio transmission in similar frequencies.

Standard "rubber duckie" antenna are omni, and offer gain by being straight rather than folded like the built-in antenna. You'll probably get 3-4 dB of gain. You'll want a half-wave or full-wave antennae if you mount it externally (hooked to the hotspot with a cable). (half-wave or full-wave are more efficient, and at the frequencies of interest half-wave would still be relatively small.) Typically, quarter-wave antennae should only be used if connected directly to the device.

I have looked at log periodic antennae on ebay, and they're not particularly expensive. Most of the ones I see now are for outside mounting (weatherproof housing), but there are smaller/lighter ones for inside mounting. Roughly 10dB of gain should be possible.

Log periodic antennae are directional (you have to point them towards the intended tower), have significant "gain" over the stock antennae, and are inherently smoother than most designs across an intended frequency range. (but look at the frequency range specified for the antennae.)

A rule to remember for external antennae connected via a cable: signal loss is far greater through wire than through the air. Cable length should be as short as practical to place the antennae where it has an unobstructed "view" of the tower.

If it doesn't have external antenna ports you can use something like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Velocity-Hotspot-Passive-External-connector/dp/B012LG010O/