4gCommunity Internet Shutting Down

Maybe you should all get together on one of those 4 lines of unlimited data for $100 deal at metropcs

hahah, I'd love to do that, but TMo is the opposite from Sprint. (I get good TMo at my house, but it's crap in the rest of the city.) Besides, for phone, I have Truphone and that's perfect for my uses (except for data).

i mean it be nice for me kas then i wouldnt use fp anymore lol.

When youre in the market for a new phone, dual sims are nice for this purpose :slight_smile:

Someone I know asked me today for more info on the connected car plan, I told them the Mobley was out of stock and didn't know if they were coming back, so I chatted with ATT and asked when the ZTE Mobley would be back in stock, here is what they said: I was checking in my system and also I asked to my supervisor and he told me that the ZTE Mobley will be in stock next week.

I have been very satisfied with my ATT connected car plan so far. The old beater thinks it's as smart as a new Porsche lol.

Does this mean the $20 plan will be back as well or did ATT say that plan is strictly gone? Sources are much appreciated :).

I know the connected car plan is still available for the cars that are listed on the web page. https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/connected-car.html
I actually found a vehicle that had built in capability, I used that vin to go through the process of setting up a plan just to see if it was still available, I stopped before actually signing up so the plan is still available.

These are the plans which connected cars can use:

1 Mobile Share Value Plans for ZTE Mobley: Eligible vehicles only. Requires minimum Mobile Share Value® plan (Unlimited Talk & Text plan starts at $20 per month for 300MB data) plus $10 per month access charge per vehicle. Mobile Share Data plans are excluded. Devices: limit 10 per plan. Data Overage: If usage exceeds your monthly data allowance, you will automatically be provided with an allotment of overage data. Depending on your plan, overage rate up to $20 per 300MB. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement or applicable Business Agreement. Credit approval may apply. Activation or upgrade fee (up to $45) and deposit may apply. Other monthly charges per line: May include taxes, federal and state universal service charges, a Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), a gross receipts surcharge, an Administrative Fee, and other government assessments that are not government-required charges. Restrictions apply and may result in service termination. Offer, terms, and pricing are subject to change. Coverage and service not available everywhere. Visit a store or Discover the Latest Phones, Devices, Unlimited Data Plans, Internet & TV at AT&T for pricing details.

2AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan: U.S. only. Consumer and Individual Responsibility Users only. Eligibility: Requires eligible vehicle, eligible aftermarket device and new or existing AT&T wireless account. Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot during periods of network congestion. Pricing: $20 per aftermarket device monthly plan charge (3 aftermarket devices on plan results in $60 monthly plan charge). Devices: Sold separately. Limits: 3 aftermarket devices per plan. Hotspot: Connects up to 5 Wi-Fi capable devices per vehicle hotspot. Devices connected to vehicle’s hotspot use data from your plan. Once a device connects, it will automatically reconnect and use data from your plan unless hotspot is removed from returning device settings or hotspot password is changed. Performance varies based on number of devices connected and other factors. Video Streaming: Plan includes Stream Saver, which allows you to save data by streaming higher definition video at Standard Definition quality (about 480p). AT&T will activate it. Check your account online to see if active. You may then turn it off or back on at any time at att.com/myatt. Stream saver will not recognize all video content. Ability to stream & video resolution vary, and are affected by other factors. Restrictions apply. See Learn About Video Management - AT&T Wireless Customer Support for details. International: Wi-Fi hotspot functionality not available outside of U.S. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement (see Terms of Service - Legal Policy Center - AT&T). Services are not for resale. Credit approval and deposit may apply. Other Monthly Charges per Line: May include taxes, fed. & state universal svc. charges, Reg. Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), gross receipts surcharge, Admin. Fee, & certain gov’t assessments which are not gov’t req’d charges. Pricing, promotions & terms subject to change & may be modified or terminated at any time without notice. Coverage & svc. not avail. everywhere. You get an off-net (roaming) usage allowance for each vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot. If you exceed the allowance, your svc(s) may be restricted or terminated. Other restr’s apply & may result in svc termination.

I have the plan I put in bold. When I signed up they were trying to put me in the value share plan and I told them I want the #2 Connected Car Unlimited Plan. Hopefully things have not changed since I signed up, I have a friend waiting for them to come back in stock.

There is one store that is "in-stock" but constantly denies and revokes orders for the mobley. What I find interesting is when you go through the process of signing up, it takes you to outrageous price based plans instead like $40/1GB prices... ATT rep said it was a glitch, but I am hesitant.

Update: All reps I have spoke to afterwards say the 20 plan is never coming back.

Only other way of getting the Mobley unlimited plan would then possibly be an assumption-of-liability (switching a postpaid plan from one person to another). Probably someone who has one Mobley too many...but typically an arrangement like that sells for way too much money on bidding websites. But you might find someone with an activated spare that won't overcharge to sign the contract over to you.

Have the Mobley unlimited plan on month to month (bought the Mobley outright from Best Buy). Nice plan, but had to jump through hoops to get it properly activated. Then a couple of months ago, the Mobley started having problems with getting a connection (could only connect by soft switching the web connection off and back on the Mobley web software). AT&T tech support chat and local affiliate AT&T dealer couldn't get it to work right, so I wound up putting the chip in an old AT&T Liberate mifi device rather than trying to get the Mobley fixed (the Mobley's unfortunately have a reputation for poor build quality).

As a reference this one was the "best" I found on eBay. [https://www.ebay.com/itm/192347661542]

PSA:
If one were to want a TOBR (Transfer of Billing Responsibility (What AT&T calls it)) make sure the plan is actually on the mobley, because there are a bunch of (no-plans-attached) mobleys selling on ebay and all of them are paperweights because that 20 dollar unlimited plan is dead...

Please post back here when your community devices stop working.

Gone.

11/15/17.

What did you end up replacing 4GCommunity with? I'm trying to find an alternative for myself before 4G shuts me off too.

I always have Plan B, C, etc., in place, so I'm going to use stuff I already had.

1. I have two T-Mobile phones on grandfathered plans that get 14GB of LTE tethering, unlimited on-device data (50GB soft cap), and Hulu, Netflix and Amazon don't count toward the tethered 14GB limit. So I'll leave our Roku connected to a T-Mobile phone's hotspot and I'll be fine for at least 50GB. (We only pay $37.50/line.) Since I live in a rural area our towers don't get congested so, truthfully, I'll be fine beyond 50GB, too.

2. Since SlingTV does hit the 14GB tethering limit (and no one at T-Mobile can explain why), I'll watch it through one of my two unlimited Verizon 3g hotspots via our Fire TV. The Verizon hotspots get 2.2 Mbps and work fine for SlingTV.

That uses up my backup plans so I'll be watching for other deals.

If you have a phone with unlimited on-device data, here's a suggestion:

1. Pay for a VPN service and use Terrarium TV to download your content.
  2. Install ADM (advanced download manager) from the Google Play Store since Android's built-in download manager "errors out" too frequently. When you use Terrarium TV don't tap on "download". Instead, tap on "Play with" and then select "ADM Editor". That will bypass the built-in Android download manager and use ADM, instead.

(ADM can recover from most streaming errors and, if it can't, you can update the download link and continue your download from another IP address without having to start over. It's a little tricky to do that and that'll have to be a post all by itself, one of these days.)

Once you've downloaded the TV show or movie that you want to watch you can stream it to your Roku, Apple, Fire TV, etc., using LocalCast. Install it on your streaming device and on your phone, make sure they're both on the same network, and they'll find each other.

[quote="Chelle"]

Thanks for the idea but I do not have an unlimited data phone. I'm rural and nothing worked for me until I got Sprint 4G through the 4GC (Had to put up a cell repeater on a 50 foot tower to even get that). Was hoping there was another provider out there that did something similar to 4GC.

That unlimited free for a year from sprint might still be available... Its not a permanent solution but will at least stall it for a while

ATT updated the connected car site. Just when they bring back the mobley.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/deviceconfigurator.html?prefetched=true&sku=sku7700323#Close

Another possibility for rural access is a company like https://4gantennashop.com/
Unfortunately, like most/all of the other options, considerably more expensive than 4gCommunity.
An acquaintance recommended them highly a couple of years ago. It looks like the prices have gone up since then.

They run on T-Mobile or AT&T. (Cheaper plans are T-Mobile only).

Working again.

11/17/17

I think I see a bigger smile on your avatar......

Yes they are back in stock for shipping not in-store

YMMV: If you order the unlimited plan (currently $90/Unlimited), the connected car dept at 8665951334 said they would reimburse $70 of that until they can safely put you on the $20 plan. There must really be a technical glitch or something. If you do dare to try this method, be sure to get the device off contract in case if something goes not as planned.