Woman Indisposed by Contact Lenses

Obviously, the eye is not the correct place in which to dispose of contact lenses, particularly 27 of them. She must have a high threshold for eye pain.http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/world/article161621453.html

Intriguing, but perhaps you intended to include a link to the story?

Oops--sorry. I suppose I'm in need of an eye exam, not to mention a brain scan. Oldbooks1 has it posted what I meant to.

Eye exams are apparently worth having and I had one the other day. Everything was fine until I asked some questions about the accuracy of the tests and now I do not know whether to conclude they are probably less valuable than I thought or not.:frowning:

As to brain scans, I would think they are to be avoided if at all possible. Either such a scan would find something, which would be a serious cause for concern, or it would find nothing which would, perhaps, be even more worrisome.:slight_smile:

Eye examines: I find it somewhat odd that the woman with 27 contact lenses in her eye was scheduled and showed up for cataract surgery without having her eyes carefully examined prior to the surgery. It was said that the lenses were lodged at the back of her eye and that she did not get regular eye checkups, and also did not mention her discomfort on a pre-opt form that she filled out. But it still seems odd that this problem was not discovered until just before the operation. As for another eye exam, my own, I was told the good news was that I could pass the driver's license eye exam without needing glasses, but was also told that I had a very small cataract in each eye that I should not worry about because about half of all older adults have cataracts that cause no vision problems unless they grow larger. When I asked if mine would grow larger, I was told it depended on the individual.

Brains: Yes, even normal looking brains malfunction more often than one would like, and a brain scan could probably not discern the reason why, if any.

Knowing my luck, if I had a brain scan and they said there was nothing there, they would likely be referring to the cavity where my brain was supposed to be! :slight_smile:

Getting back to this thread's original topic, I wore contact lenses for a short time, and I had the exact same problem as this lady -- the lenses would suddenly and quite painfully migrate up into the back of my eye for no reason (though I only accumulated one at a time), necessitating a trip to the eye doctor to have them removed. During my third visit for the same problem, he implied that I must be doing something wrong for this to keep happening, so I asked him if I could just stay in the chair while he watched. Sure enough, up the lens went once again. He was absolutely mystified as to how / why this could happen, and could offer no explanation or solution. Thus ended my brief foray into life without glasses.

Given that you and the unfortunate woman have experienced this problem, perhaps it's more widespread than the article would indicate, which may not be so surprising. The eye people said they published the article to make people further aware of the care that needs to be taken with contacts, but there may be more people than they think with this wandering contact lense problem, which could be looked into further. Maybe it's just the eye's way of trying to get rid of a foreign object, which is a very strong reaction in certain people.