What's the objective behind Visible's Swap program?

So I am curious - what do you folks think is the objective behind Visible's swap program? I mean, why don't they just give out a free phone like other carriers? My guess is some kind of eco-friendly reason where they want to get rid of electronic waste. What are your guesses?

ETA - I love the swap program, incidentally. Makes them stand out from the crowd imho.

No clue, but for the total cost of $20 I sure hope they get the E6 back in stock, 'cuz I missed out the 1st time around & it'd be a great replacement for my partner's old Kyocera CDMA phone if I could get one for her.

They have limited phones that work on visible so some people may be turned off trying them out if they have to buy a phone as well. But with the swap you can try it out and hopefully love it so much you stay on as a customer. The other swap phones are more locked down to visible only so it was probably a mistake for them to offer the moto E6. But I am glad they did.

Their other mistake is not allowing MEIDs for Sprint CDMA phones. I can understand not taking old Verizon MEIDs but I would think they would want to poach Sprint customers.

Seemed odd to me, too. After some testing though, it doesn't seem as simple as that.
I posted this in another thread:

"Re: acceptable IMEI and MEID. I've tested a range of Sprint devices and Verizon prepaid devices on the incompatibility checker for the swap.
Results: Running a Sprint-network MEID Hex that does not contain letters uniformly gives me 'good to swap'. It's not possible to enter MEID DEC because there are too many digits, or MEID HEX containing letters (the text box rejects letters). So I'm less than certain that there is any blanket prohibition on Sprint MEID-only devices, and would personally take the chance. (All the older 3G-only Sprint devices I have here have letters in the MEID Hex, and no IMEI listed, so they seem no-go. Perhaps this is where the statements that Sprint phones weren't being accepted as swaps came from.)"

Testing older Verizon phones gave the same results: a 15 digit device ID would clear, and a longer ID, or one containing letters, would not. Within my limited inventory, this again corresponded roughly to LTE-devices-accepted, 3G devices not accepted.