Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

The 142nd annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show Finals take place tonight. For those not familiar with this historic event, the Westminster is often referred to as the Super Bowl of the canine world. FWIW, my pick for overall Best In Show is a personal favorite - "Flynn" the Bichon Frise.

Yeeeeeeeeeessssssssss!!! Nailed It.

I was under the impression that only dogs could be contestants in this show.

Yep, that's correct. lol When I said, "Nailed it," I was referring to my prediction of the overall winner.

Yes, sorry, I was going for humor there in that the winner(Flynn), your prediction, was so stunning as to transcend our common notion of dog. :slight_smile: Congrats.

Aaaah, that one eluded me.:unsure: But, yes, Flynn is an exquisite representation of the breed..

Anyone not familiar with the Bichon Frise would be amazed at the amount of work and dedication required to achieve the look of Flynn. They are an extremely high maintenance breed (and that's putting it mildly).

Very true. I'll bet Flynn spends more on his hair than many Hollywood stars. :slight_smile:

Seriously, our best friends have two Bichon Frises, and while they are extremely cute, devoted, and entertaining pets, they are indeed a lot of work (but well worth it).

Two? Wow. Surely they don't keep them in full show cut. Not every "groomer" is proficient at doing the bichon justice. The full groom and cut can take up to 11-12 hours.

Two? Wow. Surely they don't keep them in full show cut. Not every "groomer" is proficient at doing the bichon justice. The full groom and cut can take up to 11-12 hours.

No, our friends' dogs are just house pets. They've never been in any shows (although they might be excellent potential contestants in the "Most Sound Per Pound" category when deliverymen drop off packages). But they do have lots of maintenance and medical needs that keep our friends busy, and they do look great after their occasional trips to the groomers.

Speaking of medical needs, there's a lot to be said for pet insurance.