Verizon Appears to be Killing Off the 3g MiFis

I'm religious about making the $5 payments on time and even track them in my calendar.

Last week a friend told me that his hotspot went dead and that, when he called the 800 number, it said that his number was not recognized. I told him that he must have missed a payment.

The next day one of mine went dead-- and I had just made a payment 5 days earlier. I called the 800 number and it said that it was not recognized. I checked my other 3 and they were all fine-- except that the renewal dates were different than what I had in my calendar.

I put the new dates in my calendar and-- the very next day-- another hotspot went dead. I called the 800 number and it said that it was not recognized.

So now I'm down to two-- and I'm not optimistic.

Of the two that are left, one is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 that's been flashed to be like a flip phone. I'm hoping that whatever criteria they're using to kill these mifis won't impact devices that have actually made outgoing calls.

Mine were lightly used, since we do our streaming through T-Mobile phones, but it was nice to have them around for connecting tablets and such.

Is anyone else hearing anything about this? It was my impression that they'd keep working until the end of 2019.

Sellers on ebay are selling 4g versions of the $5 plan+mifi. Seems like they found a way to have the $5 unlimited plan with 4g. Don't know if those will be terminated too.

I suppose you take the risk with these things that they will be terminated at any time.

I've more than gotten my money's worth out of them, so I won't lose any sleep over this.

I'm unable to find the 4g eBay sellers that you're talking about, though. I'd love to track one down if you can point me in the right direction.

Doesn't seem to be any any more. If you check the completed items there are a lot of them eg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIFI-7730L-Flashed-To-Verizon-5-A-MONTH-UNLIMTED-4G-Prime-and-Others-Working-/232855770214?hash=item3637491466%3Ag%3Aej0AAOSwCHBbKqns&_nkw=%245+4g+verizon+mifi&_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&LH_TitleDesc=0&nma=true&si=5cJW6vHAm6yiXHOXV0hU3as6Ays%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true

Maybe they have experienced the same cancellation of the plan and have pulled the listings. Apparently that seller created the flash so he/she will have more answers. Maybe these sellers creating a 4g version prompted verizon to shut it all down.