TruPhone

Greetings to you KentE !!

The Truephone app comes right up in GP search & is called Trueapp, or...here:

They also offer an account manager app - which I have no need for & it is also rather large:

The working download for the GV Callback app is listed at the dev's help page & that is the one I use;
The version listed at GP is not worthy of even looking at.

I would actually buy his ad-free version, but it is only via paying GP or the Amazon Android app - neither of which do I use, and - the dev doesn't reply to emails as I tried contacting him - so I just ignore the ads.

The info I posted about GV Callback app is here:
www.nthcircle.com/forum/other-services/69-truphone?start=30#43000

Not sure what the "login expired" message meant or who it came from, but did wonder if it possibly meant you weren't logged into your Google account. In any case, here are some links to Truphone support pages concerning Android APN settings, though my data connection on Truphone has always worked well automatically without needing adjustment.

Sorry if I'm being dense but what exactly is this/it. Was it indeed APN setting or another data setting or something else??

ET_Z, Very interesting to read about your experiences with TruPhone using the GV Callback app. At 9 cents per mb, TruPhone data seems very expensive. How much TruPhone data do you end up using per phone call? Thanks.

Here is a rule of thumb for GV data usage. E_Z can probably confirm if this is true or not.

"You can call from a computer or mobile device. Calls use approximately 0.2 MB of data per minute." So 1MB of data will get you about 5 minutes of calling time. 9 cents an MB divided by 5 minutes = 1.8 cents a minute, I guess.

Make Google Voice calls over the internet - Computer - Google Voice Help?

But... is E_Z using VoIP at all? I thought calls were being handled entirely by cellular voice, with the only data pull being the tiny amount required to have GV Callback initiate the outgoing call as an incoming call, and the small amount of data GV uses for housekeeping.

Sounds like E_Z needed mobile data on to get the callback app working in order to call without wifi, so it would be a VoIP call via mobile data. But further clarification needed.

Howdy Folks !!
Sorry to be back so late - pressing matters to attend to.

-IT- was apparently that APN setting which got it to hop right onto the 4G signal.

The difference is as folks have already said - via wifi there is unlimited data access & with wifi off, until the setting is made for cellular data (even though enabled...)=> there is none to be had.

I had figured it would automagically get done - but not so, apparently.
(I had checked the GV account when it gave the error message & it was logged in, sure enough.)

Also as has been said, the GV Callback app apparently needed that data channel to be ready & open, AND once it was, the usage was next to nothing with the callback being free of charges via cellular.

All told, a very good combination & I'll be vigilant of my data usage.

Thus far, due to my learning curve it used a little less than 40 MB of data - because I failed to shut off cellular data before grabbing 2 apps & it is almost all due to GP from the report.
So my $15 credit got hit with ~$4 in data usage charges from that while my actual call uses amounted to very little.

Aside of my silliness, it is likely to take a while to use up my credit there between my low usage - patchy coverage & using the Twigby phone most often.
If needed I can either pay a tiny bit more for needed overages at Twigby, or just up my allotment for a couple of bucks more each month there.

I'll post again here after some time has passed & I've been able to take a good measure of it all.

Another month+ has passed along with a handful of uses of my Truphone services that have all gone well.

It bears revealing here that calls made via GV Callback -do- use data, and since I just used that phone & re-checked what it cost for that call - it works out to around 1 1/2 cents per minute which is all data.

This is less than their 'normal' 9 cents per minute of course, and also suffices as proof that using this work-around will not likely put TruPhone broke as they ARE getting some $ for these uses.

Now that my account balance is below $10, I've done the math enough times to affirm that this will be used as my backup phone & only when my Twigby service's signal is too weak.

It is definitely quite pleasant to have as an alternative to Redpocket, and I consider it to be a full success as a replacement for that, for my own very occasional needs.
(Which are even lower lately given the ongoing worldly situation.)

Best Wishes to All !!

$0.015/minute is definitely reaching my 'gold standard' goal for cost-- especially when paired with no minimum monthly usage requirement. I appreciate that you've also considered the importance of Truphone generating some income from this approach.

Thanks for the detailed cost update!

I saw a report that TruPhone isn't accepting US orders for their physical SIM cards right now-- and starting an order seems to confirm it. I don't have any idea if it's just a short-term issue.

Could be bad. Truphone has been a trustworthy and money saving plus for me for a handful of years now, and I would hate to see the sim deal end, especially for existing customers. But I can see that Truphone couldn't have been making a profit from people like me, so whatever will be will be.

I can easily see why TruPhone would tighten things up if there are many customers like myself & Isamorph...
My TruPhone account has hardly been used since I got done testing it.
That is mainly because on the few times I've gone anyplace in all the recent months, there has been enough signal for my Twigby phone to be used, as needed.

I did get Redpocket for my partner as she uses her phone almost daily.
She is just the opposite of me & leaves her Twigby phone just sitting on her desk here, mostly.
(This is clearly because she has become so attached to the Moto phone that was gifted so generously to us.)

Due to there being such low usage - I even shut off the (little) data on both Twigby lines to save a few $/month.

Now that the merger thing has happened & what with Twigby being a Sprint MVNO, I hope it just continues on as it has been - but as with so much during this time of extreme instabilities, one cannot be too shocked by things changing out of the blue with little, or no warnings.

Thanks KentE. Will make sure I make a call on mine in case they do a purge.

Just noticed Truphone appears to be selling the prepaid sim in the USA again. When I clicked on "buy sim" the purchase page came up.

I didn't know they ever stopped. I bought one several months ago and it works great. Even found a way to get outgoing calls for 1 cent a min (instead of Truphones rate of 9 cents a min) without requiring any data! Of course all incoming calls and texts are already free.

Scroll up this page to see where Truphone wasn't selling the sims in the USA a few days ago. Care to divulge your 1 cent aminute method---E_Z has mentioned in this thread his call back method that, while using data, costs close to 1 1/2 cent a minute during calls.

https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/other-services/69-truphone?start=70#47219

Yes, my method uses NO data and only cost 1 cent per min for outgoing calls. Here is how it works, I created a free account at www.localphone.com and then added 1 dollar to the balance. They have a call back feature where you call their special number and you get a message that says "please hang up and we will call you right back" They don't actually answer the call so you don't get charged for calling them. You hear that message instead of ringing, that's why you don't get charged. Then when the call you back (which is free) it says "please enter the number you wish to call. You enter the number and then it connects you. The fee is 1/2 cent per min for calling you and 1/2 cent per min for the number you called. So the total cost is 1 cent for each min you talk and it's subtracted from your 1 dollar prepaid balance at LocalPhone. I've done it many times and it uses no data whatsoever.

Awesome method— let’s hope Truphone keeps selling the sim indefinitely.

That is so helpful Frasier1, thanks !!

I have been avoiding using the Truphone service because of its data usage.
But...
Now I can get rid of the callback app and use this method instead.

I've been a Localphone user for years & now, given your mention I looked & see that the dashboard page now has 'Callback New!' at the top - so it must be time to give that a try.
( Log In to Your Account | Localphone )

The only big difference I see seems to be its requirement of using a PIN & registering the originating number as well, which is no biggie.

Just checked their US to US rate for using their app, and it is 0.5¢/minute - but their SMS rate is 8.8¢ so I'll just use the native app for SMS if/when I need to & happily pay Truphone a little for that.

It has been so long since I used Localphone that I forgot all about this provider !!

Thanks Again.