TruPhone

I did not see the free incoming text on their website, only 9p/sms
Incoming call is free.

T-Mobile is a better choice for me because I have a dual standby phone and one sim has to be on 2G.

The other thing is, they don't have the nano sim which my phone uses. I'm not familiar with manually cutting up sim cards.

http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/tariffs/en

Toggle has free incoming text. It's mentioned somewhere on the site, probably on the Rates page. But I'm using it with free incoming text.

I seem to remember their SIM card is three in one, with nano. Otherwise they should have a nano SIM separately. You could email them to inquire.

The free incoming text for Toggle Mobile is only for the UK. Text in the US is 9p per sms. No nano sim, even on ebay.

Toggle has free incoming text to the US number. I was able to get incoming texts to the US number before adding any balance to my Toggle account. After I added credit nothing is deducted for incoming, only outgoing.

Customer service will also verify this is free by design.

A good phone to get is the moto g5 plus dual sim. The XT1681 model. Allows calls on 3g for the second sim so you can do freedompop and truphone. Costs $250 new.

Or the LG V20 dual sim if you want a larger phone. Costs about $300 these days.

@mmfacemm Are those phones US models with the US bands?

@joseph I have the H990DS (LG V20 DualSim) it does support US Bands

I'm trying out the moto g5 plus xt1681. It has US bands 2,4,5,12 (and connects to 17 for ATT).

It also has 1,3,7,28 for overseas use. Not as many as the v20.

The v20 has the same us bands above.

They are international models with US bands. The moto is the Latin America version I think.

Aren't the non-US models missing some US bands?

Not the xt1681 or the v20 dual sim

Do the US model equivalents of these have any technical advantages over these non-US models?

Or do these non-US models have only technical advantages over the US models (being dual SIM and having all US bands as well as some non-US bands)?

The xt1681 has nfc, dual sim but is the 32gb/2gb ram version.

The us version has no nfc but is also available in a 64gb/4gb ram version. It also supports sprint and verizon as well as band 66 for tmobile.

Since Truphone came up again in another thread, I looked at their site & Voice+ which seems to be no longer functional, and then the GVoice callback app...which got delisted from GP...of course.

More info here:
https://gvoicecallback.netlify.com/

APK here (shortened link from that site) :
https://rebrand.ly/7nlllg

Even more info here:

www howardforums com/showthread.php/1913315-GVoice-Callback-apk-(after-being-unpublished-from-Google-Play-Store)

If FU annoys me enough I may just splurge for the TP SIM sometime...!

Thanks for the info. I think I'll read Truphone's T&C before trying.

"It is also useful if your inbound calls are cheaper (or even free; e.g., Truphone) than outbound ones." So said from "netlify.com".

Personally I don't think those callback schemes/apps are right.

When people abuse things it goes south for real customers.

Nothing wrong with asking Granny to call you back if you need to save money.

Anyway anyone who wanted free calling should have jumped on the freeup train.

I did jump on the freeup train - which I pay for with annoyances !!

The automatic recording telling me to add $$ to the free plan on EVERY call I make ??
Forwarding not allowed at all...and now it is not open for new sign ups, which makes me wonder if it will soon vanish anyhow - maybe via an announcement that it is no longer free ??

So, I figure I got my money's worth after paying for the SIM & the efforts it took to get it activated because I didn't know that they were only pre-activated if gotten directly from them.
And their CS is yet another (very poor) cellular joke.

As a contrast:
Ringplus (though not GSM) was actually way better - how's that for a glowing review ?!?

Hmmm....Not been my experience with FU at all! Certainly looking into TruPhone though.

[quote="Extraterrestrial_Zoologist"]
I did jump on the freeup train - which I pay for with annoyances !!

The automatic recording telling me to add $$ to the free plan on EVERY call I make ??
Forwarding not allowed at all...and now it is not open for new sign ups, which makes me wonder if it will soon vanish anyhow - maybe via an announcement that it is no longer free ??

As a contrast:

I had the automatic recording on one of my lines as well. That went away when I associated a line with a credit card.

Forwarding does work. It's not the same as Sprint's codes though. You have to use AT&T's codes:

TURN ON CALL FORWARDING: Dial 21 followed by the 10 digit phone number to forward calls to, then press #.

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist - My experience with FreeUp has been quite good despite the few hiccups (mainly a plan renewal issue at one point). Super quick response times and resolution. I wish your experience had mirrored mine. We presently have two lines - two free and one paid (all grandfathered).

Just received this info in an email from Truphone CS, which indicated something good about its CS.

SERVICE DISRUPTION
Case number: 01378055

Geography: Global

We have had a service disruption where Customers may have experienced intermittent issues with their voice, SMS and data services. Our engineers have detected the problem quickly and have already restored normal service.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. Should you have any queries, please contact our Truphone Help Team.

ref:_00DD0nyOw._5003z24JzFh:ref

Service Impacted: Voice calls, SMS and Data

Start Date / Time: 2020-01-23 11:00:00 GMT

End Date / Time: 2020-01-23 12:28:00 GMT