Too Little, Too Late?

Perhaps the Paris Climate Accord is not so important after all. The well respected Professor mentioned in the linked article had the climate situation figured out way back in 2006. Moreover, I remember reading, several years ago, some stuff from other respected climate scientists who basically agreed with much of what he had to say about having already passed a point of no return and the unavoidable events that will ensue. The half measure actions that will result from current human actions such as the Paris Accord will only reap rewards in the distant future. In short, the die has been cast.

Let,s hope, as many claim, that these doomsday scientists have goofed and committed grave scientific errors, and hope that 3 or so % who claim they are wrong have not themselves errored, for I hope for a rosy future for my Granddaughter and her possible children.

I have tried, as a layperson, to understand the main themes in the climate change debate.

Certainly, as a layperson, I am unable to assess the validity of the arguments on either side from a scientific perspective.

In looking at the "evidence" from a purely quantitative perspective, I would have to say that our ability to ascertain what role human behavior changes of the type envisaged in the Paris Climate Agreement might have is very questionable at best.

Krugman had a piece on the issue in the NYT today. Leaving aside his vitriol, he made a point that may well be correct, namely that we are approaching the point at which alternative and renewable energy sources are likely to economically viable in their own right. On purely factual matters of this type, he is usually a reliable source.

If indeed it is possible for human behavior changes to impact the pace of global warming, I am pretty convinced that will come about through market mechanisms rather than any international agreements or domestic political action.

Looking to the future, I certainly see other "threats" that would cause me more concern. The one that would disturb me the most is the issue of the financial position of the US. Looking at the current unfunded liabilities and taking account of the increasing life span of the population, I cannot see any socially acceptable solution.

There are of course other potential disasters that might occur including a global pandemic or a nuclear war.

So perhaps the sensible thing to do is stay informed about issues but not worry too much about what might happen and carpe diem.

That is sensible! Be happy and carpe diem. Professor Doomsday himself seems to have lived by the maxim and seized many days.James Lovelock: we should give up on saving the planet – video | Environment | The Guardian

Interesting anecdotal evidence on climate change.

It's a good thing the officer did not just tweet that a bunch of dough was laying on the freeway. Where did that rising dough come from---the truck looks to be like a dumpster truck form a construction site? In any case, this global warming incident coincides with what that congressmen said about the good and fun things that global warming will bring our way.

And here I sit in our teeny village apartment that is 100% dependent upon the electricity supply, with the a/c cranking along, sitting in front of my PC screen - and frankly have no desire to experience whatever may come when the lights may go out & stay out !!!
(Sometimes its good being an older guy who's had a very full life already.)

For three days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off. – Johnny Carson

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome. – Isaac Asimov

I don’t mind dying. I just don’t want to be there when it happens. – Woody Allen:dry:

Nuclear wastes:
The gift that keeps on giving.
Forever.

It looks as if domestic pets are also a source of climate change.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/08/04/the-hidden-environmental-costs-of-dog-and-cat-food/?hpid=hp_rhp-moretopstories2_animalia-petfood-8am-winner%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.f325d03a1392

As to nuclear waste, the magic of the market place is transforming it into gold.

https://chernobyl-tour.com/english/:)

I decided to take a break from worrying about the world this morning and made a tart cherry pie instead--best decision all year so far.:cheer:

Hi Oldbooks1 !!
I too had that hobby for a very long time, at great personal expense too, I must add:

But finally I gave myself a terrific reality check, and took notice of=>

And:

And most likely worst of all:

So I adjusted to the world as it is & became a watcher instead - which has been a FAR better choice for me !!
This may be a bit vague for some folks & I admit it is a bit hard to explain, so an expert opinion is in order here...

The Late, Great George Carlin said it best (after around 3 minutes, here) :

Or, for anyone too impatient for that one, short & to the point:

Gosh I miss pie !!:

When I am quite certain that I am finished using this body to get around in & equally certain that exit time is imminent, I will try to remember to make my final repast one of tart wild blueberry pie, tart cherry pie, and a big bowl of quadruple chocolate icecream with a little peanut butter as a garnish.

But for now, these things are merely admired from a safe distance & in good health !!

Best Wishes to All.

Oldbooks1 wrote: "It looks as if domestic pets are also a source of climate change." If we really love ourselves and our pets, we humans
should all become vegetarians and leave all of the meat for our buddies, and this will allow our beloved friends to remain carnivores to their dying days and will probably help to delay our own dying days, which=75% reduction in heat caused by meat production. We can do it if we set our hearts to it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"help to delay our own dying days,"

There are proven steps one can take to delay the inevitable.

Among the less obvious ones are winning an Oscar and a Nobel Prize.

Here is the complete list.

Thanks, those are good tips. I have already mastered the " envisioning a dark future" step, which should add at least one year more of dark envisioning to my life. You can forget about the Nobel prize and Oscar life lengthening events. I might move to a higher altitude, though.