Time to Leave Unreal Mobile

I have no objection at all to the 1c charges, and understand the necessity. I was charged just under $40/mo for a device that didn't exist. Long story, but FP managed to split one account with 2 devices on it (which should have been impossible in the first place by their rules, but was encouraged by their sales policy) into 2 accounts, but left phantom billing for the split-away device attached (and hidden) on the original account.
I considered this significant, and far beyond the value received. In that instance, I believe it was an honest mistake. Taking several months to fix it was incompetent, but not evil.

Likewise, I consider those with San Francisco numbers who had billing increase by $6/month with no notice a 'significant' change that impacted their 'value received'. (I have no problem with the charge itself, which seems mandated by law-- the lack of notice was the issue.)

I consider those who had billing increases of several dollars a month (without notice) for those who did pay for optional services both significant, and impacting value received.

I consider those who had free plans changed to paid plans, or paid services added, without notice or consent, to be both significant and impacting value received. I also consider "opt-out" notices to avoid an upgrade to a paid plan to be dishonest. (and probably illegal.)

I consider downgrading the friend's bonus, without prior notice, to be either incompetent or dishonest (or both), with attendant risk of overage charges, and to be both significant and impacting value received.

I've managed to avoid all of those issues, mostly because I pay close attention, and some probably through the luck of the draw. The fact that I've avoided them, or you've avoided them, does not remove their problematic existence.

I've avoided most of those risks by closely following various forums with other active and attentive users who share information as quickly as they became aware of it, which helped others who also closely followed such forums to avoid the damage. The mere existence and need of such forums to avoid unknown charges should tell us all we need to know about the inherent risks of using FreedomPop and the company policy for being transparent.

Finally, I dispute any assertion that there is any way to avoid theses risks without violating FreedomPop's TOS about keeping an active payment source attached to the line. I understand that there are ways for a determined user to violate that TOS item and reduce the financial risk, but personally feel that I'm not interested in an escalating war of TOS violations to protect myself.

All that said, I still consider my 'value received' from FreedomPop to be worth the effort I've put into it, although it's been a close call at times. I understand the many who have changed their minds about that, or have decided that the way FreedomPop has operated is simply too offensive to continue doing business with regardless of any returns.

I also consider the effort I put into being a customer of RingPlus, CellNuvo, and FreeUP Mobile to be worth the effort.

KentE, that was honestly amazing. I agreed with and experienced virtually everything you said ...with the exception of your very first line: "I have no objection at all to the 1c charges". I disagree not because of the amount but because it was emblematic of FP's treatment of and lack of communication with their customers. I am of the opinion that if it was possible to bombard us with their latest and greatest "sale" emails, it was possible to inform of any changes to billing, TOS, prices etc.

When I was an active customer, there was a way (which I used) and there was another way that almost anyone could use.

As to your points that freedompop was / is a shady company, that's not something that anyone disputes. In fact, those who wanted free service and ensured they got it without risk, were they ones who understood that fact the best.

Chelle said "a few little old ladies" I think its great that you help others out! But I think you are about the same age as me, and I'm no spring chicken, so when you say "little old ladies" I'm guessing they must be in their 70's 80's and 90's right? :slight_smile:

Exactly correct-- with emphasis on the 80s and 90s!

(And I'm in my fifties, as I'm sure you've surmised.)

BTW-- anyone who can teach an 85 year old woman to control her lights using her voice and Alexa should get her patience rewarded with a large Dairy Queen Blizzard.

Is the 97 cents or any other weird charges still an issue?