Tello Minimum PAYG $20

Yes that is the thing tracfone have a $50 annual plan and redpocket an excellent $60 a year plan. Anything over $40 isn't worth it over those two especially as you can use them on better networks. Then the freedompop $3 plan means anything more than $36 isn't worth it either. So $5 top up every 90 days is my threshold.

So we should get a refund of the top-up before we hit the 90 day - and then sign up for a new line?!?

Quote from the Tello Rep posted earlier in this thread. "If no order was placed in a period of 3 months, Pay As You Go credit will expire and the Tello service will be disconnected. However, this policy is in effect since September 10, 2019, and not 2017, as originally posted on our site. When it's Monday, and you didn't have your coffee yet, time travel happens :)). Thanks!"

---I suppose this statement means that all Tello Paygo users will have 3 months from Sept. 10th before their accounts will be terminated if no "order", $20, is placed during the 3 months, which assumes users use data or call credits during their other 3-month usage period that is likely out of sync with their 'Order" period. Thus we all have about 2+2/3 months before the curtain falls on PayGo. What to do, though? The Tello $10 unlimited t&t+1GB data and unlimited 2g data thereafter + hotspot use is looking pretty good now.

I had always liked Tello because the PayGo was no-fuss and low-maintenance. This new change is terrible!

Can the PayGo balance be used to buy a monthly plan? And does buying a monthly plan count as an "order" for PayGo?

If yes, then one workaround could be to change to a $5 monthly plan towards the end of the 90-day window. Use the $5 plan for a month. Then top up with $20, and change to PayGo.

Nah, too much trouble. And more expensive too. It's goodbye Tello for me, unless they change the top-up amount to $5 per 90 days, like mmfacemm suggested.

Like Kent suggested you can just buy a $5 plan every 90 days and then switch back to paygo during the month. No need to top up too as the balance will carry on. It is more work but $20 a year isn't so bad.

https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/tello/2859-tello-minimum-payg-20?start=10#40816

Let's hope that Tello doesn't update their T&C with conditions blocking the workarounds, which wouldn't be much of a surprise now. The $5 a month data only plan might be an idea for some who use the Google voice app since GV calling via data doesn't use much data.

I have a $5 plan. (well, $6, since I have 100 base minutes + paygo backup). That one's good, and I'll be keeping it.

I don't like being between a rock and a hard place on our PayGo plans, though. I'd consider converting at least one to a $5 plan, but Tello apparently doesn't allow paying for a monthly plan with funds already designated as PayGo. If I'm on a paid plan, I don't need nearly as much PayGo balance as I'm carrying.

I have been thinking, and I have decided to stop using Tello.

Basically because I have lost faith in them after the way they sneakily updated their terms. They could have easily sent an e-mail communicating this change, but chose not to. Now I can never trust them.

Quite often, I don't get to check nthcircle, and I don't want Tello to pull some nasty surprise during that time. So goodbye Tello, you broke the trust! You're no longer no-fuss or low-maintenance!

I see where PrepaidCompare updated is pricing list for providers to reflect the $6.67 a month that Tello now charges for the PayGo plan. Interestingly. the site does not list Tello's unlimited t&t +1GB $10 a month plan as well as some other Tello plans, though it does list the $5, $6, $7 and $8 plans. Also of interest is the fact the once communicative Tello has little to say nowadays.

I'm betting that they're looking at all the backlash and are considering some tweaks to mollify the user base.

My guess is that they've been silent because they're still deciding what to do and, when they speak, it will all have been a misunderstanding or something worded inartfully, or blah blah blah.

It won't be, "we made changes that were too drastic and we tried to sneak them by you, but we've learned our lesson and hope we don't get caught next time."

While I dislike the changes I'm offended by the lack of notification.

Sadly-- Tello is just like everyone else.

Offended is the best way to describe it. It is unacceptable in my eyes for any company or person to try to pull a fast one like that - this world does not need any more of that stuff.

Edit:
In fact, I am seriously considering taking the paid line I have as a backup out of Tello as a result. We also have a PayGo that would simply purge. One thing is that the company goes caput and another is to pull this kind of crap without any regards or notice. Had I been notified, this would have been much different.

I hope they are paying attention to the forums and the consequences of their actions.

If tello is willing to step up and clarify in their terms of service that customers with existing paygo services prior to September 10. 2019 will be able to maintain their paygo balances and service under the old terms that, paygo balances will remain available and active for a period of 3 months since customer's last order or call, text or data session.

I will then take another look at bringing new lines over to TELLO.

There might (I repeat, might) be hope for existing PayGoers after all. Here is a recent post from a Tello thread on Reddit, quoting a CS response:

Thank you for choosing Tello!
Actually we look into and the new policy will not affect you because you purchase before it came into effect. So you can still just do a call, text or use data and service will stay active.
We are sorry for any confusion but we still would not be able to refund the amount because of the PAYG was purchase over 6 months ago.
We hope this helps!

Sure hope for everyone's sake that this will prove to be true!

Perhaps those in charge at keepcalling.com, who apparently own Tello USA, imposed the latest changes on Tello and want the USA Paygo users to start calling so they can keep calling to increase profits. The untoward way in which these changes were imposed is not a good way to "keep" customers. The fact that Keepcalling thought current USA Tello users were dumb enough not to see what was going on says a lot about those in charge.

If I'm not mistaken, if the auto top on Paygo accounts remains at the $10 minimum, then one could get by on $3.33 a month while satisfying the one purchase every 90 days requirement. Of course one would have to use $10.01 of one's balance in 90 days so that the top-up order is triggered. But will that $10 auto top-up amount be done away with? If Tello would just clarify their T&C, then maybe we could have a plan. Below is a post from HOFO from earlier today that addresses the top-up issue.

"Well you can do $10 every 90 days by using auto-top-up with the refill amount set to $10. I just did that, starting from an over one-year old zero account balance, a little while ago. I turned on auto top-up, made a call, and it debited $10 a couple of minutes later. (Then I turned it back off for now). My current balance is $9.97.

Of course they could increase the minimum auto top-up (they could do anything for that matter) but I would not automatically assume that they will. I think they may be perfectly satisfied with $10 every 3 months from those users who use auto top-up (most of whom will probably leave it on and may go though multiple top-ups every 3 months)."
Last edited by comintel; Today at 06:45 AM.

It's a little disappointing, but I'll deal with it. I've only had to add to my PAYG balance once since I've been with Tello PAYG (no plan) as my only service for over 2 1/2 years with over $8 left on my current balance. Plus, I have multiple Tello backup phones with over $9 of the original $10 free coupon balances on each one. Looks like I'll use a low cost plan workaround every third month for my primary line and let all of other phones' balances expire.

I'm skeptical about the comment copied from reddit above, although it would certainly be nice if it were true.

Also wanted to give a shout out to ole monkeybiz.

I suggest getting your account number and PIN (0000) so you are prepared to port and when asked why, let em know. In my case it does not affect me (yet) because I am on the $6/1GB plan. However, it's all about trust, being straight forward and communicating often and honestly. We have seen this behavior several times in the past and when all is said and done, there is nothing to be said because the service is done.

After seeing this same behavior with r+, freedom Pop, cellnuvo, and now tello.

I even question redpocket. If they could/would do the same?

There is no reason for bad sneaky behavior. If you have to change policy or go bk then just be honest and straight forward with your customers. How hard can that be?

A quote from a recent post at HOFO. This is the second time I have seen this info posted. Until this is put in writing or at least mass emails sent to customers with this info included, I will not be convinced. Or maybe after 25 existing customers report the same info was reported to them via CS email. " This policy is effective since September 10, 2019." This statement does not clearly imply that it won't be applied to users Paygo accounts that existed prior to this date, though it could mean that.

EDIT: Oops forgot to post this post: "I called customer service, and it looks like the new tos only applies to people who have opened an account after Sept 10th. Hopefully this keeps up, I have the Tello $5 data plan on my tablet as well because I love the option for unlimited 2g data after the 500mb which is enough to play music when I am away from wifi, and browse the web as well as check my email. When my home internet contract is up I am considering just using that since I don't really do much online."

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1915676-Tello-Credit-Expiration/page6