Tello GSM is available

I just noticed in item 8 of my screenshot above the instructions in the screenshot are apparently the same as the instructions sent in the email, so no worries.

Isamorph, I've been thinking about your phone swap + carrier swap. I'm betting it's not going to be a problem, since GSM typically activates only the SIM. With most providers, the IMEI check is only to confirm the device is eligible-- after that, you can probably stick the SIM in whatever device you like. (And you're already past the IMEI check.)

I think you're right about GSM. As it turns out I changed my mind and decided to port the number out from this Tello account to my Liberty Wireless $60 dollar a year unlimited talk & text account since it's also on the T Mobile network and costs less than the Tello $8 + 1.62 tax monthly price. The Liberty Wireless account has worked well for almost a year now, and I'm about to renew it for another year at the same price. Phone is for my wife's mother who just needs t&t. As much as I like Tello, I prefer to save the $50+ a year going with the Liberty Wireless plan.

A warning about forcing early switch to GSM: 2 reports on Reddit that after ordering the GSM replacement SIM (for an existing line), you won't be able to renew your line manually via self-service, apparently because it appears as an order in progress. (Presumably self-service early renewal returns at some point-- not enough reports to know whether that happens after the SIM is mailed, after they assume it's been received, or only after your line has been moved to the GSM SIM.)

Customer service can process the manual renewal early for you.

For those considering ordering a GSM SIM and just putting it away for awhile (instead of using it immediately), you might want to reconsider.

This is very attractive. Is this plan still available on ebay? Thanks.

Yes, and the unlimited T&T + 1GB yearly plan is a good deal, too, for $93. And $5 per GB if you need more data.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Mo-Liberty-Wireless-Prepaid-Wireless-Phone-Plan/174582899616?_trkparms

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Mo-Liberty-Wireless-Prepaid-Wireless-Phone-Plan/174157748999?_trkparms

Just wanted to report that I got my Tello GSM sims today, but as "jmac32here" and another poster on Hofo have reported, one cannot click the activation button on the activation page, so one must call Tello in order to get GSM sim and phone activated. So, if one is not in a hurry to move to GSM, perhaps waiting for the official migration email from Tello would make for an easier transition.

I've also been seeing a number of reports with functional issues, especially (but not entirely) with iPhones. (Problems with VoLTE, Visual Voicemail, Wifi calling, etc.). It's hard to tell for certain what's a provider issue vs a user/device issue.

Tello is offering a free sim today and tomorrow (Jan 30 & 31). You will see discount at checkout. Applies to new customer as well as new lines.

Tello website is down for me. Seems the GSM rollout is a bit rocky.

Peculiar how the website went down after I informed CS for the Nth time that I could not activate my phone because its website was not functioning properly, after CS kept telling me I was not following instructions correctly. Anyway, there had been a notice on the website that it was scheduled for maintenance tonight until 5 am tomorrow. Guess they started early.

Edit: Just saw on Hofo the following supposed fix for the "activate" button on the Tello GSM activation page. I don't know why my 8 ball didn't tell me that, but I'll see if the fix works when Tello website is up and running.

" Originally Posted by smokozuna
You guys can not hit the "Activate" button because where is says City it wants your Area Code and not the City you are in. Once you do this you can hit the Activate button. If you let your browser auto populate the form it puts your City in the box. Change the City to your Area code and it works perfectly."

"Can other members confirm this imprecision problem between "Area Code" and "City" for trying to activate on Tello?"

EDIT: The above fix alleging that inputting the area code in place of the city will get the activation button to work appears to be false, at least in mycase.

Does anyone know if the free Tello Sim can be ordered just by itself , without signing up for a plan?
TIA.

Sorry wasn’t able to quote ajzwilli’s post about the free Sim. The editor wasn’t letting me post anything after the quoted post.

Thanks for the links. Alas, the Chat rep said that their SIM cards need to be activated within 30 days. So, it's not the emergency-use solution I was looking for, where I'd buy the SIM and activate it only when needed.

I believe the chat rep was referring to the 30 day free return window, for the Liberty website says one has up to six months to activate the sim.

https://www.libertywireless.com/Faq.php

In my limited experience, there's often a significant difference between the official position on activation deadline, and what a provider will really do. The more expensive the purchase, the less likely I've been to test limits.

Mint Mobile says the trial SIMs need to be activated within their standard 45-day limit. I had no problem activating one after 6 months. Since they go on sale for $1 from time to time, I try to buy a new one from time to time, too. (Of course, it's a little risky since it's not officially allowed-- but we've seen reports of the $30/3-month SIMs being successfully activated after 6 months, too.)

Tracfone has basically no expiration date on refill cards-- at least I've never seen a report of it, and I think the official position is they do not expire. A $10+ refill and a $1 SIM card seems reasonable to me for an emergency. It's a little riskier with pre-loaded SIMs or bundled phone+plan, both because of the extra cost, because the system is newer & sometimes buggy to enable the bundles/preloads, and because reps will give different answers on expiration dates-- but the refill cards have always been the core product, and issues are rare.

EDIT: TO ADD
Any of these emergency options have a common problem-- you need either internet access or phone access to activate the line.
I had big hopes for the UltraMobile PayGo SIM being the perfect solution, since they have an activation route from the SIM that doesn't require another source of data or calling. (I've never tried it, but the process is described as by text from the new SIM.) Unfortunately, the official statement is for activation within 45 days of purchase. I wouldn't be surprised if it works longer than that, since Mint apparently administers the plan, but we're back to the problem of an emergency device that might noit work when an emergency occurs..

KentE wrote: "Any of these emergency options have a common problem-- you need either internet access or phone access to activate the line."

Liberty Wireless has an easy insert SIM and make one call to any number to activate process. The Sim I purchased from Ebay was set up by making one call, upon which LW sends a text stating they are sending the APN settings, etc. to your phone.

As of January 31, 2021, standalone SIM purchase does not appear to be possible. Tello SIM purchase requires choosing monthly plan or PAYG credit to complete order.

ETA: I noticed the same problem with the WYSIWYG editor, so I switched to "Source" to enter text below quote.

Huh.. just a day or 2 ago, this was $6.99 or 7.99. Now not available.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H5SM9M9

Are there any inexpensive flip phones that work on the T-Mobile network?

It can be hard to find inexpensive flip phones for almost any network.....
Tello has a Coolpad Snap flip in their web store at $70.

I've read that the Tracfone Doro flip phnoe is unlocked for use on T-Mobile MVNOs without having to qualify for the normal Tracfone unlocking.(I don't have personal experience, but the info is from a reputale Tracfone expert on Howard Forums.) May not be available on retail shelves anymore, but they do show up on Ebay Be careful, because there's also a version of the Doro for Consumer Cellular, and I don't have any reason to think it's unlocked.

Response to your edit: The fix you quoted says area code, not zip code...