SurgePhone New User Setup Experience and Tips

Just a quick update.

Renewal
Like Furgus8, I received a text message each day for the last 2 days that my plan was going to expire.
I even received a call from the customer service department saying my plan was going to expire on Saturday.
My plan received the new allotments of min/texts/data one day before the plan was going to expire.
I sent an email to customer service to renew my free plan. They responded in 12 hours saying the new allotments had been added, which was correct. But they said to set up an on-line account from which I could manage my account and wouldn't have to contact them monthly.
Oddly enough, I had an on-line account set up from the beginning.

To make a long story short, the renewal went fine. Next month, I'll check my on-line account just before it expires without contacting them to see if the new allotments go through. I think this is just a learning curve.

Okay I signed up. Received my sim today (took 4 days to ship and 3 days to arrive). Sim is not activate beforehand nor did I receive a phone number before today. I did get an email with my sim card number.

• Had to activate via surgephone.com/activate
  • Make sure you note your details such as phone number once it goes through as the confirmation email didn't have the details.
  • Took about 10 minutes after activation until the cell signal came
  • Received a second email 10 mins later saying an account was set up and a temp password provided.
  • Getting 30Mbps down and 10Mbps up as per normal tmobile on a verizon E4. Works great

Online account is currently blank and customer service say it will take up to 24 hours to populate. They also say I have to call in each month to renew. But the moolah app and others seem to think it is all automatic. We'll see.

Moolah app is much better than when I tried it before. Fast enough and I haven't experienced any bugs so far. It will be interesting to see how many extra moolah credits I earn with normal use.

Now, I am tempted to try this out after a few people reporting their experience. I do still have the concern about the app itself with regards to what data is it exactly mining. Still, for a spare phone, seems OK. I would be concerned even about the app tracking what numbers you dial (even if you do not add those numbers as contacts). In short, the last thing I want is for those I know to get bombarded with calls and texts should their number be obtained from the app.

joeuser or anyone else on surgephone -- where are you logging in to see you allotments? There seems to be two completely separate areas to log in.
mysurgephone.com or surgephone.com/my-account

tech-stitch -- yes I am only using it on a spare phone that I wiped clean. The plan is to use it for data only. 1gb free is nice assuming I don't have to call in every month.

The account details can be found here.
https://mysurgephone.com

I received my SIM card about 4 days ago...it was a bit of an ordeal as I had placed the order last month and the first SIM was lost by the post office. I had to contact support several times and their response was extremely slow. They finally resolved the issue and sent another SIM. Activation was straight forward.

I am also using it on a spare phone (Verizon E4) and it seems to work well. The Moolah app has crashed about 2 times for me in the first 2 days but has been stable in the past couple of days. The problem I had when the app crashes, is that all the apps I had placed on my homepage, were removed (apps were still on the phone though) and defaulted to the initial setting. Not a huge deal but an annoyance as you cannot customize your homepage appropriately.

The odd thing with the Moolah app is that there were initially banner ads playing on the homepage in the first 2 days and I was apparently receiving "points" for these. However, for the past couple of days, these banner ads have disappeared and I am not accumulating any points. We'll see how this plays out as I am assuming that this is how the company subsidizes the service.

The phone and data work fine with T-mobile coverage good in my area. I am able to view my usage on mysurgephone.com
As others have stated, support indicated to me that I need to call them to renew the plan monthly or "manage it myself" through the website. However, I am not sure how I would "manage it myself" as the website only really lists my usage. I am not sure if a "renew plan" popup will show up just prior to renewal as it does on my Freeup service. We shall see. Overall, though, I am pleased with the service on my spare phone.

I can't even see usage. I tried to log into mysurgephone.com but when I try to link my number it says oops that is not a surgephone number.

yes...the same thing happened to me initially. I had to contact support (via chat) and they were able to correct it allowing me to register my phone #. There are a lot of these glitches that need to be ironed out.

what are the apn settings?

When i contacted surge they said whatever was default on your phone (they are not the most helpful bunch). I think any tmobile one will work. Mine uses fast.t-mobile.com

It should have auto-downloaded the APN profile to your phone. At least mine does every time I popped the SIM into a different phone.

I have:
Name: pwg mms
APN: pwg
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication Type: PAP
APN type: default
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: None

All other options say "Not set"

If someone has a different setting, I'd like to know, maybe I'd have better service? (I'm in a rural area so it seems T-Mobile is only so-so for signal for me).

Mine uses:

Name: T-Mobile US
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication Type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,ia
APN protocol: IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: None

All other options say "Not set"

I'm getting solid tmobile speeds. Nothing auto downloaded. This was just the default apn in the APN list

Wow-- it surprises me that both of those different APNs work okay.

That is interesting. I wonder if mmfacemm got a new SIM? Looks like the APN settings I'm using is used by a bunch of MVNOs I've never heard of.

Also interesting is that neither of us have an MMSC set, so I guess we can't do MMS? I never tried since I rarely text, but searching the internet, both the pwg and t-mobile APNs have the MMSC/MMS info set, so I suppose one could try setting that info and see if it works.

I don't see any real difference using different APNs, but checking the carrier map, I see why I have poor signal, looks like I am too far for it to reliably penetrate into buildings and I always tested inside my house.

Mine has a separate mms apn. Don't know why it is done that way.
APN TMUS
MMSC http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Apn type mms

My sim was totally white with just the ICCID printed on it.

tmobile apns usually are pretty interchangeable so it doesn't matter too much. I've seen the pwg one used before. As well as the "wholesale" one. Not sure what the differences are or why different mvnos use different ones.

drysun, I'm intrigued by the origin of the graphic you posted for coverage, as it has very useful information on what you might expect.
I tried to find something similar via
https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map?icid=WMM_TMNG_18NETWORK_6ZL2DGAPF3B15198
but don't get the breakdown by band, or the outdoor/auto/building breakdown.

Any chance you could give a pointer to where you got this breakdown?

I claim no credit for this link as I found it on another forum somewhere a while back and bookmarked it, so I don't remember where I found it originally.

When logged in online there is a box for credit which currently says $0 for me since my renewal date is still 3 weeks away. I wonder if that will be refilled with $10 at the end of the month and then I would then click on the "add more" and then select the $10 plan to renew. Seems like the only way it could be done online without having to contact support.

Thanks, drysun! That is a far more useful coverage map than the one I'd used before. I don't think I've ever seen that level of detail available.

If you look at Surgephone's website, it looks like the Starter Plan is now $10 with the Moolah app installed instead of being Free. I contacted Surge who insisted that Starter is still free if Moolah is active on your phone. They did however raise the initial startup cost from $10 to $20 for the sim.