Recommendations for the best AND cheapest online tax preparation site ??

Thanks for the update and here's to many happy returns! :slight_smile:

I got mine done free using the H&R free option right from the IRS site as I have done in past years. Easy and trouble free - every time! As far as data mining, well... That's another matter.

All done via freetaxusa - painlessly, quickly & efiled.
Phew.

Interesting development

Intuit Near Deal to Buy Credit Karma for $7 Billion

Snippets from the WSJ:
[i]"The deal would mark Intuitโ€™s largest acquisition by far in its 37-year history and the first sizable transaction under Chief Executive Sasan Goodarzi, who took over a little more than a year ago."

"Under the deal being discussed, Credit Karma would operate as a stand-alone unit with its chief executive, Kenneth Lin, remaining in charge, one of the people said. But joining forces could allow both Credit Karma and Intuit to fine-tune their recommendations to customers by expanding the trove of financial data they use to make suggestions."[/i]

My personal conspiracy theory is, maketing shmarketing, Intuit saw CK plucking too much low hanging fruit / money / business volume from turbo tax.

IF the buyout happens will be curious to see how it affects CK free tax preparation capabilities.

Oldest business trick out there, when the startup challenges your bottom line buy them out.

Yep, especially given who the parent company is...

Anyone have any new recommendatoins for this tax year? After using Credit Karma for the previous few years, my 2019 tax return that I filed in 2020 started with Credit Karma, but they did not support a form I needed so I switched to using IRS Free Fillable Forms last year. You are able to complete and efile for free directly with the IRS. For my state income taxes, I was able to file directly with them as well. I did use my Credit Karma tax return that I had started to double check all the numbers. If you prefer to fill out via form versus questions this may be the solution for you as you fill out the forms/worksheets directly and they are all linked. Took more time the Credit Karma/Turbo Tax/HR Block, but for those of you who like filling out paper forms you should check this out. It opens on Feb 12 this year.

Maybe not new, but:

Last year we used Freetaxusa & of course all the info is there already for its re-use if desired.

Closest competitor appears to be Taxact...
There seems to be no great reason to switch, comparison-wise, so=>
Just using the same place again seems most logical.

Thanks for the reminder !!

I am also using freetaxusa. I used turbotax last year and I am still mad how much money I owed them because of my situation. Glad to be switching.

HRBlock are not part of the irs free file this year. Very annoyed with that.

Unfortunately time to revive this again, yay! ?
I don't think this one was mentioned before, OLT - OnLine Taxes

I guess Credit Karma is now Cash App Taxes

Is that promotion for an affiliate link, or ??

Probably but regardless I think taxact was mentioned in the past discussion. I was reviving to post one that I don't think was & a change in another.

OLT pricing is compelling, I'd be curious to know if anyone has used them.

It seems most folks don't know how to read these things - and often they lead to getting spam emails if not 'cleaned' of the excess...so - this is the actual base URL itself:

https://www.freetaxusa.com

And ALL stuff after it - 'specially after it has /? is tracking info of some sort:

There are many, many variations and in all cases using ONLY the base URL is the least likely to bring undesirable results.

Back on topic - for us, short of fed & state being 100% free, the pricing differences have not been compelling enough to change vs. the ability to use last year's info as a starting point.
Being able to get it all done correctly in about 20 minutes total is better than starting all over again with another site/service (IMO).

I don't do promotion for an affiliate link, or ??
I was answering?
First link on google
https://www.google.com/search?q=freetaxusa&sxsrf=AOaemvJvtCeS_9TqVZq_bMKknCJR7UCMJQ%3A1640151195624&ei=m7jCYbXGJay2qtsPvcCv6AQ&oq=freTax+USA&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIHCCMQsQIQJzIECAAQQzIHCAAQsQMQCjIHCAAQsQMQCjIKCAAQsQMQgwEQCjIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzoHCCMQsAMQJzoHCAAQRxCwAzoNCC4QxwEQowIQsAMQQzoHCAAQsAMQQzoQCC4QxwEQowIQyAMQsAMQQzoQCC4QxwEQ0QMQyAMQsAMQQzoICAAQBxAKEB46BggAEAcQHjoKCC4QxwEQrwEQDToECAAQHjoICAAQCBANEB46CggAEAgQDRAKEB46BQgAEIYDOgcIIxCwAhAnOgQIABANSgQIQRgASgQIRhgBUMwYWO1JYLtXaAFwAHgAgAFWiAGvApIBATSYAQCgAQHIARHAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

Ah-hah !!
Most folks don't realize what a powerhouse the big G truly is & if they were openly truthful every one of their 'free' services would have a sort of disclaimer telling how all pages linked from them contain affiliations, tracking & userID info so as to make that company even more immensely profitable.

So, in the example link, everything that comes after this part=>
www.google.com/search?q=freetaxusa

Is more or less the equivalent of this:

tain't that some s***

Too funny - goes right along wid de toilet !!!

There are several companies which have the most powerful computing abilities on the planet, and the big G is one of 'em.

To continue OT -

Oracle purchasing Cerner forebodes your personal medical information (anonymized of course ) will be general mining material soon.