Middle-man Theory

That's probably the best way to deal with this - move on. You can always check back later and if they're back up you can use CN as not only a backup line, but as a way to get extra data when needed by having CN turn on hotspot (as I did).

BTW, I don't know if you have to keep service for as minimal amount of time to keep that phone, but once it's yours free & clear I recommend looking into MintSIM. They have the same deal for about half as much (unlike Metro, taxes & fees aren't included, so YMMV). You have to prepay at least three months, but I don't think that's asking too much. I prepaid a year and my monthly bill works out to $15.41 after taxes/fees for the same service you describe.

MintSIM recently changed their prices, but not significantly and they're running a special (with no end date listed, so there's probably still plenty of time) where 3 months works out to costing the same as a year would.

EDIT: Oh and BTW MintSIM is a subsidiary of Ultra, a well-established TMobile MVNO, which is why I was okay taking the gamble on buying a year up front.

Bottom line, all: There's no theory that explains the outage better than Tom's description. Tom has worked hard to earn our trust over a period of months, and seems to be a square-shooter. Why not accept his explanation?

There doesn't seem to be any real reason for Tom to try to mislead us. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to us not accepting that explanation. Even if theories are right about more drastic underlying problems, does it reasonably change our course of action from "wait for a new update"? If there's some more aggressive tact some of us could take, does it do anymore than make CN's situation more difficult? (And by extension, more difficult for all of us.)

If CellNuvo still doesn't have a clear predictable path back to normal, the most important update we could receive would be information regarding the possibility of porting &/or device release, for those who are stuck with no phone service. Even knowing that neither was possible right now would help, as one could make an informed decision to go buy a burner phone with minutes, and call the essential contacts to get that number out.

If any of those folks had CellNuvo as a sole line, I'd immediately start a PayGo account at Tello (or simlar) if they had a spare phone, or something like a Tracfone or GoPhone if they didn't. I know money is frequently tight, but $35 max should alleviate the worst of the problem.

Ha. I simply am not very good at thinking of ways to screw others over (because that's not who I am), so no danger in that ever becoming a reality.

Honestly, you come off as a bit of a fanboi who can't take anything less than positive statements about your favored party.
Sorry if you're bitter about what I've said, as I'm just trying to speculate on what's actually happening since there's no other source of info to go off of. I'm not accusing CN of anything and I think I'm being fair in attempting to look at the situation from all angles.

Speculation is human nature and I think I'm being pretty fair in how I go about it. I'm certainly not trying to pass any of it off as "fact." I'm not trying to stir up a lynch mob like conspiracy theorists tend to. I'm just trying to discuss my thoughts with other reasonable people. If that's unwelcome, then don't read my posts.

To me, the ability to accept and fairly discuss differing viewpoints is a sign of maturity and confidence. Intolerance for such displays the exact opposite and unfortunately seems to be EXTREMELY prevalent these days. It's very hard to accomplish something good in that environment because so much time and energy is wasted attacking and defending instead of cooperating.

Can we get a thumbs down button?

For the most part, I agree. Tom HAS broken his word about updates, however - a relatively minor infraction to be sure, but one that impacts the trust level nonetheless. We've also been given incorrect information about the ability to port out. The lack of respect for his customers is a bit concerning. Nonetheless, I think my comments have been entirely fair and understanding of the difficulties he may be having, but his difficulties are also his customers' difficulties and that fact doesn't seem to matter to him so much.

I wouldn't wait it out at this point. Move on & check back later if you like. I only used CN as a free backup, not my main service, so I can wait - others may not be so lucky.

Again, just speculating and hoping others would have some knowledge & provide interesting input. Not trolling.

EDIT: Technically, Tom WOULD have a reason to mislead if that were what was going on. If he can keep us swiping for ads, then that's more money in the bank. Just something to consider.

Obviously for users who cannot or are not willing to wait until the problem is resolved or at least clarified, it is appropriate to consider third party assistance since CellNUVO has not provided any guidance to members in this group and there is no practical way to obtain any from the company.

If ports are failing (and there are two reports to that effect) there may be a need to have Sprint handle the operation directly if it cannot be done through CellNUVO for whatever reason.

An FCC complaint is the most practical recourse available to someone with an urgent need to port. Existing regulations afford far greater protections in the case of number porting than releasing devices.

While it is unclear what the precise status of CellNUVO is in relation to Sprint at this time, it might be useful to
request CellNUVO to release the MEID and ICCID within a certain time frame. If that does not happen, at that point a Notice of Dispute could be filed with Sprint and that probably would be result in the MEID and ICCID being released.

hardly worth it.

just get another cheap phone.

Worth it if the # is important. Otherwise, agreed.

Me and my wife's numbers are important (primary lines, stupid me--I know :slight_smile: )and I'd like to salvage our silver if possible (>200k combined). So I'm still holding out.... just hoping we don't miss any important calls basically.

If one were only concerned with having a working phone, then it was already clear last Saturday night that getting a burner was a smart thing to do.:slight_smile:

However, if the number itself is important and/or the phone on CellNUVO being available for another Sprint MVNO, then third-party assistance (and/or maybe prayer) are the only games in town right now.:frowning:

Yep... that's what it seems like. We are just waiting and holding out. We have alternate methods of communication with important people (alt Google Voice number, TextNow free Wi-Fi calling, Facebook messenger , etc.), but we're mostly worried about someone trying to reach our main numbers. Our only recourse is to wait right now though.

Since they are apparently sporadically responding to emails, it might be worth it to email and ask them if you can take the phone elsewhere for the time being and reconnect to those accounts when all is well again. Since they said the Silver system is separate from the actual phone service I don't see why this wouldn't be possible. I'd recommend taking a screenshot of the account details screen so you can document your balance, account number, etc. all in on place.

oldbook thanks for pointing out me being a dumbass. u r absolutely correct a phone and a phone number are two different things. something has almost zero value to me can worth a lot to others.

In regards to the original post in this thread, if it were in fact a result of a middleman that was critical to offering service, why is no other MVNO impacted? I guess it is possible that CN used a middleman that no other MVNO had used before.

The exact wording in the message from Tom was:

"one company that provided back office and other operational services"

Such a description is quite general and there are many companies that provide such services. Typically a core component of such activities is management of accounting and other financial operations.

It is entirely possible that such a company might only have one client in the MVNO space. In other words such a partner might have specialized expertise that is not specifically related to the telecom sector but is required to conduct the operations of a firm operating in that space.

That would certainly explain why no other MVNO is impacted.

Interesting point (and exactly the kind of commentary I had been hoping for in making the OP). I think the "first customer" idea is just one of those "technically possible, but highly unlikely" scenarios - although it might possibly explain the abruptness.

Assuming the MVNE (what someone called such a company elsewhere) had other companies as clients, then something may have happened specifically between them and CN to spark this outcome. Unfortunately, I'm sure we'll never know what that might have been (or if that's even the case). sigh

that middle man owns the ip of platform managing all cellnuvo accounts. without office support from that middleman, cellnuvo cannot manage our accounts efficiently. even if cellnuvo acquires that platform, cellnuvo will need staff support. there are three reasons cellnuvo would not purchase the platform. (1) too expensive; (2) cellnuvo does not have experienced employees to run that platform; and (3)that platform is outdated for cellnuvo's imminent business plan.

I wonder how likely that idea is. Just how many companies need to be involved in the support of a small MVNO startup? My head hurts just thinking of the complexities of both operations and accounting involved.

Guess that's why I never had an interest in starting my own business...

I believe that, in most cases, "prayer" is subsumed under the "third-party assistance" category.

Quite true. Although it probably would be better to think of it as the Party of the First Part.